Menu

Iowa test results

The basic battery is just the reading, language, and math tests.  The complete battery also has tests for social studies, science, and sources of information (maps/diagrams and reference materials).

As for what is expected of a gifted kid--assuming that the kid has been being educated to their full potential and that there are no learning disabilities or other issues getting in the way--they'll likely score at the 99th percentile or thereabouts. 

The basic battery is just the reading, language, and math tests.  The complete battery also has tests for social studies, science, and sources of information (maps/diagrams and reference materials).

As for what is expected of a gifted kid--assuming that the kid has been being educated to their full potential and that there are no learning disabilities or other issues getting in the way--they'll likely score at the 99th percentile or thereabouts. 

My DD8 got tested privately and she scored really high. And Iowa total battery is 90 percentile :( how do I interpret this? I was looking at Davidson this year!!! is tis too low?

My DD8 got tested privately and she scored really high. And Iowa total battery is 90 percentile :( how do I interpret this? I was looking at Davidson this year!!! is tis too low?

If she had a privately administered IQ test, I would think that it would be more accurate.  Not all gifted kids have high achievement test results.  

A core and/or composite total at the 90th percentile indicates that the kid has mastered grade level material.  It would be considered underachievement for a Davidson-level kid.  The core total is the more important one as it is just looking at reading, language, and math.  The rest of the subtests are a bit weird, and kids can score poorly on them for reasons having nothing to do with true achievement. 

There are lots of reasons a kid would do poorly on the ITBS.  Some of them are worrisome--learning disabilities, for example--and some are more innocuous--tired, hungry, bored during the exam are examples.

You certainly don't need to tell Davidson about the ITBS scores in your application.

Usually 95% is what is needed to qualify to take talent search, and then Davidson wants 99.9% if you're using a Talent Search test as one of your data points.

You can have your child take talent search even if they don't have the 95% ITBS score if you think they're truly ready with at least some talent searches (I know Belin Blank only requires a copy of the grade level tests until 3rd grade, and that's because they allow participation in their K-3 programs without taking the EXPLORE-once you're eligible for the EXPLORE or the ACT, that's the only test that matters).

Another question-where are the ceilings? Especially if you're talking a younger child, sometimes the ceilings are pretty low. I know my DD's composite verbal increased dramatically when the "letter recognition" subtest dropped off-because getting every question right was still only about the 75%, which lowered her overall score. I contacted CTY because of that-she ended up with something like a 92% verbal composite when she had missed nothing on the verbal section of the test, and their comment was "That happens to everyone. Have her register for the SCAT".

If she had a privately administered IQ test, I would think that it would be more accurate.  Not all gifted kids have high achievement test results.  

For that matter, many gifted kids will have areas of high achievement and areas of low.  

Buck got a 99th on his math subtests of the Stanford, for example, but 40th in Language usage, and 7th for Spelling. :rolleyes:  (he's probably dyslexic)  

Consequently, his total battery is lower than it should be because he hangs up so badly in language skills.  A privately administered test would catch this.

Hmmm...she is 8 years old and in second grade. So this will improve overtime? Her problem solving in math is really good. we work though CWP, IP, challenge math etc. But she has only 85 in it which got her total math down. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong and if I should work on improving it.

For that matter, many gifted kids will have areas of high achievement and areas of low.

Buck got a 99th on his math subtests of the Stanford, for example, but 40th in Language usage, and 7th for Spelling. :rolleyes: (he's probably dyslexic)

Consequently, his total battery is lower than it should be because he hangs up so badly in language skills. A privately administered test would catch this.

This made me smile. Every standardized test I ever took put me in Special Ed for spelling. Not just slightly, either....and I am not dyslexic. All those percentiles were really close and then WAM! Horrific spelling score. It has become a family joke.