Menu

If you have a 2 story home, do you use a window unit AC to help cool...

1GirlTwinBoys

On 5/12/2014 at 2:23 AM, Pawz4me said:

That's probably the crux of the issue.  The downstairs is going to stay cooler than the upstairs.  To get the upstairs comfortably cool, you're going to have to lower the thermostat so that you're probably way too cool downstairs.

Sometimes, depending on how your duct work is configured and how powerful your central unit is, you can add a zone.  The HVAC people can fix it so that your upstairs has its own thermostat and your central unit can run to cool both the downstairs and the upstairs at the same time, or just one or the other.  We had it done at a former house that had a bonus room we wanted to divide into two rooms and use as a den and office.  The zone system worked very well.  IIRC it cost a few hundred dollars to have it done.

AC people call it a two zone system. There is valve that controls air flow between our upstairs.and downstair. Our was configured  this way when we upgraded air and heat

I'm in the two-separate-units group. But my friends who have only one unit seem to manage without additional window units.

Ceiling fans technically don't actually cool; they just keep the air moving. I have ceiling fans, as well, which I use but my guests don't. so go figure. OTOH, I'm used to the San Francisco Bay Area of California, where the nights are significantly cooler than the days, and there's usually a breeze, and no humidity, so open windows at night was usually sufficient. No open windows here in Texas!

• Like 1

When I put my A/C unit in, I purposefully bought one much larger than needed. My ducting system also has a lever to deflect more heat or A/C upstairs or down. In the summer I switch it so more A/C goes upstairs. Due to these two things....I don't have a problem with the upstairs getting a different temp than down.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...