Menu

Yet another Disney Question-help me make this happen?

Kerileanne99

So!

We leave on vacation next weekend for 2 weeks in Hawaii. We have planned our return trip to coincide with a chemistry conference my hubby will be attending near Anaheim for three days.

Being that close to Disneyland I would love to take my dd4, rather than stay at the hotel...but this TERRIFIES me. I am in a wheelchair, and it would just be myself and dd. Physically, this will be a lot for me. Add in the logistics of transportation (I will have to depend upon a van?shuttle? Cab? Not sure. Huge city, so many concerns.

Any ideas? Can I make it happen? I have even looked at hotels at Disneyland, but that would mean that hubby would be 30 miles away (with traffic!) at a different hotel, with no means of ready transportation to get to us.

I feel torn. I really can't decide if I just need to pull up my big-girl pants and go for it, or if it is a disaster in the making.

Disney experts, any ideas?

I haven't been to Disneyland, but so far as I could tell from Disney World, they do try to be very helpful to people with disabilities. Disney is so clean and well staffed and generally so exceptionally good at customer service . ..  I think you'd have a much easier time there than virtually any other tourist destination. I wonder if you could hire a guide/assistant for part of each day? I think staying in a hotel at the park would be awesome if you feel OK about getting around once you are there. Maybe you could spend two nights at the Disney hotel, doing the parks the two days following the two nights. With a 4 year old, so long as the child is generally cooperative with you, I'd think it would be pretty manageable, since you could do fairly short days, just a few hours in the morning and a few in the afternoon or evening. Are there evenings when dh could join you? We've done that when dh was at conferences. The parks are open late, and evenings can be loads of fun. Can you handle pools? If so, get a park hotel with a great kiddo pool, and plan to spend a few hours there each day. If money is not a big concern, I'd definitely look into hiring a guide/assistant as well as staying at a nice park hotel. I'd call Disneyland and talk to some Mouse-Representative for handicap access, and talk to them about your concerns. I bet big bucks they'll have well trained staff to guide you through planning your trip, and might have guides/assistants available for hire. If you can handle a zoo trip or a museum outing with your kid alone, then I am sure you can handle Disney. Plus, I think you get to cut lines if you are handicapped. Totally cool! :)

I agree about the concern if you're completely immobile/unable to leave your wheelchair. That would make it very difficult as your daughter is too young to ride by herself. Disneyland has great handicap accessibility, but there are limits and restrictions. I would definitely call the park and see how they could assist you. Is it possible for a relative to meet you there to help out? Wishing you the best. Being that close, I too would be doing all I could to go. Your daughter will love it.

Many rides you need to be able to transfer from your chair to the ride vehicle (such as the Fantasyland rides your kidlet would love).  Wheelchairs are expected (for most rides but not all) to go through the line with everyone else.  It can get crowded - you might have trouble hanging onto your child and maneuvering the crowds.  Unless you can find a local family or friend to go with you, I'd not attempt it.  Could you prolong your stay in Calif. by a couple days so after the conference hubby could go with you to Disneyland?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DASInfoDiscussions/

I am a member of a Facebook group discussing and sharing info on how to manage with the new disabilities policy Disney has adapted.  You can find a wealth of info and tips there.

PS Disney is heading into the most crowded time of the year, too.  I really do not recommend trying this on your own without another adult. 

Keri -- Check out this awesome site for parents and traveling to specific destinations:  http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/disneyland-family-vacation/dfv/

Click "more" and the little blue windows to read entire piece. Worth your time in terms of rides, food etc.

But, no, nothing on there about visiting w/ disabilities. I have cousins who are in wheelchairs who live around the corner from Disneyland and they were often at the park -- so I think it's disability-friendly. I would definitely contact them. You'll get VIP status.

Have fun!

Alley

Here's the page from the Disneyland website the includes a list of attractions that are wheelchair friendly.

To make it sane and doable for yourself I'd ONLY do Disneyland, and go in the morning when they open.  The following should give you a half day of fun.

Go down main street, through the castle and ride the King Arthur carousel.  Keep an eye out for character meet and greets that are up and down Main Street.  Have an autograph book for your dd and get a Disney photo pass -- it is free, and cast members will take pictures of the two of you with characters.    There are a few specific areas for specific characters, otherwise they are just randomly on Main Street.  If your dd is a huge fan of Frozen, I'd head there first.  It is in Fantasyland and it can be up to a 2 or 3 hour wait!!!  There is a fairy meet and greet near the entrance to Tomorrowland, but that entrance area can be a nightmare of a bottleneck with crowds.

Small World isn't listed on that link, but I swear I remember boats that hold wheel chairs!! (Ds just confirmed there are accessible boats.)  The Finding Nemo Submarines are closed at the moment, by the way, but there is a room you can go in to watch a movie of what you'd see on the subs.

Go to Toontown to visit Mickey's house, and meet Mickey, and to visit Minnie's house.  Goofy's Fun House is in Toontown, too.

Take the back way to adventure land, ride Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (it is very sweet) and visit the Tiki Room (a personal favorite!) and ride the Jungle Cruise.  

A ride around the entire park on the train is another personal favorite.  

Fit in lunch at some point!  I haven't thought of what to suggest.  

Study a map beforehand.  Most of the guests there will be Southern California residents who have annual passes and who will answer any questions you have!  The cast members are of course (for the most part) very happy to help and eager to make "the magic happen".

IF you are up to it for a second day, then you could try California Adventure.  I'd almost recommend it instead of Disneyland as it is is more wide open and navigable, but there isn't the iconic castle and there aren't as many princesses!  There is, though, Little Mermaid, Cars Land, a terrific theater production of Aladdin, and the animation tour building, Disney Junior and a terrific land just the right size for preschoolers, Bugs Land.  Oh and Muppets 3-D.

In any case, the same advice applies -- go early, plan on a short day, study your map and have a plan!  You can do it!

I can't tell from your post if you plan to get on the rides with your dd or not. If I was unable to get on the rides (either due to a health concern or the ride restrictions for wheel chair access) then it would be a deal breaker for me. I have a lot of safety concerns and would want to sit close to my dc to comfort them if they start freaking out. Even if I could ride the rides I would still hesitate to commit to a day with a 4yr old in Disneyland. I don't know how many rides are available for their age that parent/child would both enjoy. Of course maybe your dc is much more mature than mine was at that age.

I think there are other things you could do besides sit in the hotel if you don't go to Disneyland, though.

I agree about the rides. I am not about to let my very impulsive dd4 go on any rides without me!

I AM able to transfer quite well and on my own...but it would wear on me. This would definitely be limiting and exhausting after awhile. And there are types of rides that would not be feasible for pain reasons.

I would, as another poster suggested, lay out a plan of action as far as what we would so well ahead of time. I just keep thinking about all the what-ifs!

And my child is, as I said, impulsive. She would not run off...but could easily get distracted and captivated by something.

Also, she does not have the worlds best stamina for walking all day, lol. She will get tired and want to ride in my lap. I have not been to Disneyland since I was a child, but I remember it being HUGE then! The thought of wheeling around for hours with her in my lap as well? Ugh.

I agree about the concern if you're completely immobile/unable to leave your wheelchair. That would make it very difficult as your daughter is too young to ride by herself. Disneyland has great handicap accessibility, but there are limits and restrictions. I would definitely call the park and see how they could assist you. Is it possible for a relative to meet you there to help out? Wishing you the best. Being that close, I too would be doing all I could to go. Your daughter will love it.

Unfortunately, no family that can help. Hubby's family lives in the UK and mine...are not dependable or able.

Definitely going to call WDW vacations tomorrow. They arranged some of our Hawaii portion of the vacation at the Aulani resort (thanks to a WTM boardie rec!) and were wonderful. Maybe they will have some ideas for me.

Or a high school student for rent!

Hey, anybody in the area have a HS-age student they want to rent me for the day, lol?!

Many rides you need to be able to transfer from your chair to the ride vehicle (such as the Fantasyland rides your kidlet would love). Wheelchairs are expected (for most rides but not all) to go through the line with everyone else. It can get crowded - you might have trouble hanging onto your child and maneuvering the crowds. Unless you can find a local family or friend to go with you, I'd not attempt it. Could you prolong your stay in Calif. by a couple days so after the conference hubby could go with you to Disneyland?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DASInfoDiscussions/

I am a member of a Facebook group discussing and sharing info on how to manage with the new disabilities policy Disney has adapted. You can find a wealth of info and tips there.

PS Disney is heading into the most crowded time of the year, too. I really do not recommend trying this on your own without another adult.

Oh wow!

Thank you so much for this link. I had no idea things had changed so much:(

You know, it is hard enough being a disabled mom who is trying to do it...my kiddo has lots of options. Maybe not this time, but still...it frustrates that kids with disabilities get penalized for the stupidity of a few!

And...I realized that even though public school may well not be out then in many places, it will be Memorial Day weekend. I would imagine it will be insanely busy:(

Keri -- Check out this awesome site for parents and traveling to specific destinations: http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/disneyland-family-vacation/dfv/

Click "more" and the little blue windows to read entire piece. Worth your time in terms of rides, food etc.

But, no, nothing on there about visiting w/ disabilities. I have cousins who are in wheelchairs who live around the corner from Disneyland and they were often at the park -- so I think it's disability-friendly. I would definitely contact them. You'll get VIP status.

Have fun!

Alley

What a cool site, thanks!

I actually found some great info on it for other planned adventures on this insane summer vacation of ours...when we leave California we have 4 weeks to drive around, sight-see, camp, etc...this will be a big help in planning!

Here's the page from the Disneyland website the includes a list of attractions that are wheelchair friendly.

To make it sane and doable for yourself I'd ONLY do Disneyland, and go in the morning when they open. The following should give you a half day of fun.

Go down main street, through the castle and ride the King Arthur carousel. Keep an eye out for character meet and greets that are up and down Main Street. Have an autograph book for your dd and get a Disney photo pass -- it is free, and cast members will take pictures of the two of you with characters. There are a few specific areas for specific characters, otherwise they are just randomly on Main Street. If your dd is a huge fan of Frozen, I'd head there first. It is in Fantasyland and it can be up to a 2 or 3 hour wait!!! There is a fairy meet and greet near the entrance to Tomorrowland, but that entrance area can be a nightmare of a bottleneck with crowds.

Small World isn't listed on that link, but I swear I remember boats that hold wheel chairs!! (Ds just confirmed there are accessible boats.) The Finding Nemo Submarines are closed at the moment, by the way, but there is a room you can go in to watch a movie of what you'd see on the subs.

Go to Toontown to visit Mickey's house, and meet Mickey, and to visit Minnie's house. Goofy's Fun House is in Toontown, too.

Take the back way to adventure land, ride Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (it is very sweet) and visit the Tiki Room (a personal favorite!) and ride the Jungle Cruise.

A ride around the entire park on the train is another personal favorite.

Fit in lunch at some point! I haven't thought of what to suggest.

Study a map beforehand. Most of the guests there will be Southern California residents who have annual passes and who will answer any questions you have! The cast members are of course (for the most part) very happy to help and eager to make "the magic happen".

IF you are up to it for a second day, then you could try California Adventure. I'd almost recommend it instead of Disneyland as it is is more wide open and navigable, but there isn't the iconic castle and there aren't as many princesses! There is, though, Little Mermaid, Cars Land, a terrific theater production of Aladdin, and the animation tour building, Disney Junior and a terrific land just the right size for preschoolers, Bugs Land. Oh and Muppets 3-D.

In any case, the same advice applies -- go early, plan on a short day, study your map and have a plan! You can do it!

Thanks for the great ideas. And for the heads up on the submarines:(. I think that would have been one of dd''s favorites.

I am going to call tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe if dd and I book a package at their hotel properties they will be able to better accomodate the situation. I see they have electric wheelchairs for rent, but in my experience these tend to be horridly uncomfortable things (am of course not fitted for the person!) so I really can't see that being an option.

Looking through your lovely list and the mapped me realize just how much uh, wheeling I would be doing! Crazy:)

We went to Disneyland with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It was winter so no lines. Dd was a princess girl and loved every minute but she remembers very little. We took an umbrella stroller and my favorite picture is of the 4 year old passed out in it. She was excitable and impulsive. I don't think I would do it alone, in a wheel chair on a busy weekend. If you stay on site and can manage a couple hours a day it might be doable. Your vacation sounds wonderful whatever you decide!

Does Disneyland offer character meals like Disney World does? When we visited Disney with a four-year-old, we had two character meals, and that was when we got autographs and photos with the characters. That way we didn't have to run all over the park to find them, or wait in lines at designated character spots. If that is an option for you, it might cut down on how much wheeling around you have to do.

Also, we stayed at a Disney hotel so we could take our four-year-old back to the room for an afternoon nap each day. We got to the park when it opened, left after lunch for a hotel nap, then came back for supper with characters and a few more rides. Would a break like that make the day more do-able for you as well as your daughter?

We also went to Disney World once over Memorial Day weekend because we were in town for a conference. The parks were so full that weekend that the hotel warned us that the parks were likely to reach capacity and we should go early in the day to make sure we would be admitted. So I would also ask about that possibility when you call Disney - if you did leave for a nap break what are the chances you wouldn't be readmitted because the park was full.