Menu

How to use "My Book House" set?

I bought these at a thrift shop last year for 20 cents each, the 1971 version.  One book was missing, and I had to pay $10 or $15 on ebay to replace it, but i have a full set now!  I had never heard of them, but they were so pretty (and so cheap) that I had to get them.  And I am really enjoying using them with my youngest--we are "sort of" doing SL P 4/5, but we also like to read through the Book House stories--we have just started Book #3.

But a little searching through here, and it looks like these are well-loved and used for other things--

Can someone enlighten me on how to fully use this set?  I have a 4th and 5th grader as well as my Prek-er.  My youngest is learning to read now (with CLE Learning to Read) and my 9 year old is doing WWE3 and having a lot of trouble with narration--he enjoys reading shorter stories but he's not a huge reader.  My oldest is an avid reader of mysteries but I'd like him to read older things and a variety of things.

We use MFW Creation to the Greeks--I guess I ought to start looking up Greek myths and such to fit with our history?  I'm just not good at adding extra resources but I would like to use these books since we have them and they seem like such a good resource--

Thanks for any help!  (and go ahead and tell me the other great anthologies I should snatch up if I see them at my cheap-book thrift shop!!)

Betsy

I just bought the set a few months ago. They are simply free reading here at our house and even my non-reader 6yo likes to flip through and stare at the vintage art. I think my 8 & 10 yo boys have already read them all, and now they just pull them out to reread their favorite stories.

If your kids don't just pick up books to read on their own, the My Book House would be great for read aloud time. They don't have to line up with any program you're doing. They're just great reading material. 

I just bought the set a few months ago. They are simply free reading here at our house and even my non-reader 6yo likes to flip through and stare at the vintage art. I think my 8 & 10 yo boys have already read them all, and now they just pull them out to reread their favorite stories.

If your kids don't just pick up books to read on their own, the My Book House would be great for read aloud time. They don't have to line up with any program you're doing. They're just great reading material. 

My current 3rd and 5th graders usually have an anthology or collection in their daily reading stack, and often choose MBH. DS/5th is reading volume 11 on his own and talks to me about it later. DD/3rd recently read Through Fairy Halls (4? 5?), and now she's working on a Hans Christian Anderson collection. (Fwiw, she reads like an adult.)

I read portions aloud to my kindergartner.

This coming school year the younger girls (rising 4th and 1st) are going to do a geography year. I went through the MBH index and lined up the stories clearly marked with origin into our geography plan. DD/3rd and I will probably take turns reading them aloud for DD/K.

Thanks--I need to add it to my boys' reading lists--haven't really thought to have them read on their own.  And I think we'll work on narration and dictation out of there--

And I need to try and line it up with our history--such a great index in the back!!!  thanks for the input--

Betsy

• 1 month later...

We do the same thing with them. I just let my younger daughter read them as one of the four she rotates through in a week for independent reading. When she finishes one she changes it out for the next one. After reading, she sometimes gives an oral narration and sometimes she gives me a written narration. If my children were younger, I would consider them for reading aloud. :)

I downloaded the oldest (and IMO best) edition of My Book House off of Google Books some years back. It was tricky finding all the volumes - one I never could find - as Google Book's search engine is really terrible: it took searching under Miller, and Book House, and the names of individual volumes. But, gorgeous and free.

I found them through google play books for free like a pp.  We are reading through the 1st one right now on an ipad :)

Can you please share the link? I searched the Playstore just now and didn't find this.

My oldest reads these for enjoyment.  My 2nd reads these for narration purposes.

Has anyone found any objectionable content in the upper levels?  My oldest has read them through until #8, and I wanted to preview before he read further, but haven't done so yet.  Any thoughts?

Apparently I wasn't on "get notifications" for this--so I didn't know there were new answers to my original post--

Great that ya'll are finding these for free.  We are enjoying them--I am reading aloud to DS3.  We had been working through sonlight core P 3/4, and we still are sort of, but I am enjoying reading through the Book House stories--mix of poems, stories--and unusual tales and good vocab.

DS1 is supposed to be reading through one of the volumes himself--he doesn't love it. But it's good, I think. 

And I need to pull and look for stories to tie with our history.

I am SO happy that, when I saw these on a shelf at our 20 cent/book thrift shop, I said, "I don't know what this set is, but I"ll give it a try!" and loaded up my cart.  Wish I'd had them earlier--

Betsy

My oldest reads these for enjoyment.  My 2nd reads these for narration purposes.

Has anyone found any objectionable content in the upper levels?  My oldest has read them through until #8, and I wanted to preview before he read further, but haven't done so yet.  Any thoughts?

Depends on what you find objectionable. I have found one or two stories that depict African-Americans in not-my-favorite ways. Nothing really derogatory, but there is a sense of "otherness" in the way their speech is portrayed. Mine are from the 30s or 40s, so considering that it isn't too bad. I would be fine with my kids reading it to themselves, but somehow I couldn't get through those ones. I forget which volumes they are in but it couldn't have been past 5 or 6. 

I have loved using them for composer study. There are a lot of explanations of famous pieces of music and stories of composers' lives. One day we listened to Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream overture, then we read the story of how his sister inspired him to write it as a teenager for a group of friends. The story included a walk-through of the piece, describing the different themes and what the music is saying. Then we listened to it again and were amazed by what we heard after a little understanding. I know Afternoon of a Faun is in there too. Gosh, now I have to add this to my schedule this year.....

Depends on what you find objectionable. I have found one or two stories that depict African-Americans in not-my-favorite ways. Nothing really derogatory, but there is a sense of "otherness" in the way their speech is portrayed. Mine are from the 30s or 40s, so considering that it isn't too bad. I would be fine with my kids reading it to themselves, but somehow I couldn't get through those ones. I forget which volumes they are in but it couldn't have been past 5 or 6.

I have loved using them for composer study. There are a lot of explanations of famous pieces of music and stories of composers' lives. One day we listened to Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream overture, then we read the story of how his sister inspired him to write it as a teenager for a group of friends. The story included a walk-through of the piece, describing the different themes and what the music is saying. Then we listened to it again and were amazed by what we heard after a little understanding. I know Afternoon of a Faun is in there too. Gosh, now I have to add this to my schedule this year.....

Another reason for me to really look through these books.