Menu

AO, WTM & Transcripts

Does anyone use AO for High School and if so how did you describe on your transcripts?  

This is AO's chronological history plan:

Year 9 - 1688-1815

Year 10 - 1815-1901 

Year 11 - 20th Century

Year 12 - ancients ( I thought I would leave AO at this point and do a review of Western Civ to 1600 or let them take CC Western Civ course or CLEP)

I have two finishing term 1, Year 9 this year and starting "high school" next.  I am trying to get my ducks in a row on how to do this.  I want to follow WTM fairly close, but not sure how to tie AO and WTM together for highschool

I am fine having some credits spread across four years (ie. gov't, economics, fine arts)

Does anyone use AO for High School and if so how did you describe on your transcripts?  

This is AO's chronological history plan:

Year 9 - 1688-1815

Year 10 - 1815-1901 

Year 11 - 20th Century

Year 12 - ancients ( I thought I would leave AO at this point and do a review of Western Civ to 1600 or let them take CC Western Civ course or CLEP)

I have two finishing term 1, Year 9 this year and starting "high school" next.  I am trying to get my ducks in a row on how to do this.  I want to follow WTM fairly close, but not sure how to tie AO and WTM together for highschool

I am fine having some credits spread across four years (ie. gov't, economics, fine arts)

I don't use AO, but I suggest doing the transcript by subject and wording it like this:

Ancient History 1 CU

World History 1688 - 1815 1 CU

World History 1815 - 1901 1 CU 

World History 1901 - 1999 1 CU ( or 1901 - present, if it includes 21st century material)

Ancient History 1 CU

World History 1688 - 1815 1 CU

World History 1815 - 1901 1 CU 

World History 1901 - 1999 1 CU ( or 1901 - present, if it includes 21st century material)

I think people should do whatever they want. :-)

However, if you're keeping a transcript for the sake of college, what you have here is four years of world history. Don't colleges usually want to see something like world history (and geography), American history, and U.S. Government/economics?

I think people should do whatever they want. :-)

However, if you're keeping a transcript for the sake of college, what you have here is four years of world history. Don't colleges usually want to see something like world history (and geography), American history, and U.S. Government/economics?

I think people should do whatever they want to do as well. I am just answering the OP's question. 

Most do, but if you haven't done it (and the OP won't have if she follows her plans), then you can't put it on the transcript. I was just saying how I would document what the OP said she would likely do. 

A full year of each of those subjects is very different than covering US History as part of World History, for example. In the grand scheme of world history, the US has been around  only a short time, so a corresponding short time would be spent on US History as part of world history. Economics as it impacted major historical events might be discussed, but the nuts and bolts of economics won't be a part of a world history course. Does that make sense?

There is a lot to be said for homeschooling "out of the box," so to speak. It may be that a unique transcript will catch they eye of an admissions officer. Each of us has to prioritize as we consider the high school years. If the only goal of high school is to have the student admitted to college, then "box checking" might be the best way to go. However, if there are several other goals intertwined in that goal (or even in place of that goal), then a non-mainstream approach might be the best approach for that family. Each family weighs their own priorities and sets their course accordingly - it's the beauty of homeschooling. 

I labeled the time period for history courses from 1700 to present as American History and that portion of Ambleside or TOG which covered government, as a semester credit.  I sometimes choose to label Ancient History as World History, but more commonly label it as Ancient History I and/or II.  We usually have 2 years of Ancient History and 1 1/2 years of American with 1/2 year of Government on the transcript.

I do course descriptions and list which texts were used.  They were uploaded along with transcripts.

YMMV

Michele

in MN

AO covers gov't, economics, geography, American, world history, etc

The time periods are covered in a longer time frame than what is suggested in WTM.

I was curious how other users of AO labeled this on a transcript ( I do have college bound kiddos).

What does OP mean?