Menu

Writing Intensive Seminar or First Year College English?

J-rap

My daughter is needing to put together her schedule for the fall.  She was given the option of deciding herself if she wants to take the first year college English class, or to pick a freshman seminar (which all freshman are required to take) that is writing intensive.  She's not sure what to do.

My daughter loves to write, and is very good.  But, her editing skills are poor.  This is something we worked on over and over again but she just never seemed to get there. 

I think she should begin with the first year English class;  my daughter already in college thinks she'll get too bored and would be more motivated to work on her skills in a seminar class with a topic that really interests her.

Any thoughts?

Seminar class.

Required 1st year English courses have to deal with kids who can't write at all, don't know their grammar and semantics, do not want to write, lack reading comprehension. Very frustrating for a student who likes to write and is good at it.

When my DD got back her first paper in the literature class she is taking this semester, the instructor told her she should avoid taking composition 1.

Seminar class.

Required 1st year English courses have to deal with kids who can't write at all, don't know their grammar and semantics, do not want to write, lack reading comprehension. Very frustrating for a student who likes to write and is good at it.

When my DD got back her first paper in the literature class she is taking this semester, the instructor told her she should avoid taking composition 1.

Thanks.  I appreciate your reply!   Seems to make more sense then for my daughter to take the writing intensive seminar class.

I hadn't written academically for a very long time prior to last fall. However, from homeschooling and my hobby fiction writing, I ended up doing surprisingly well in my composition classes. For someone used to writing academically and really only needs to hone one skill, I'd go for the seminar class. 

I don't have any talent for writing, but I'm very good with punctuation and decent with grammar.  Dd (college freshman) sends me her papers to do a final proof and sometimes to make sure her points are clear.

Am I the only one who does this?

:leaving:

From what I've read, likely not.  What will she do when she needs to write business letter or send memos or emails?   If she needs help proofreading, she should be utilizing help on campus IMO.  

OP as for the course, I'd go with the seminar too.  

From what I've read, likely not.  What will she do when she needs to write business letter or send memos or emails?   If she needs help proofreading, she should be utilizing help on campus IMO.  

OP as for the course, I'd go with the seminar too.  

LOL, she's perfectly capable of sending letters, memos and emails--and writing papers.    The papers I proof are for her English/writing type of classes.  She wants to be sure her punctuation and points are correct and that her points make sense, as they are part of her grade; she assumes her profs will instantly see any error.

She has on the spot essays in several other subjects, and I'm pretty sure she's received an A on every single one this semester.   Obviously, she's had no outside input on those.

Why not use the help on campus?  Because they are not going to point out her occasional errant comma, and she doesn't need help.  But she's applied for a position as a writing mentor (or whatever the title is).

Her classes will occasionally have peer reviews for drafts as they work on ideas.  She always considers the source of the feedback.  Wise young woman.