Menu

Bible Recommendations

amy58103

I've tried on several occasions to read the Bible cover-to-cover and every time I end up throwing in the towel.  Mostly, because of the format the Bible is printed in ... small print, thin pages, two columns, lots of numbers breaking up the text, lots of footnotes, etc.  I find it all very distracting and tiring. 

Does anyone know if there is a Bible that is printed in a more standard book / paragraph format, on non-see-through pages?  Maybe something that is printed in several volumes, or even better, in electronic format?  And because that isn't enough to ask for, I'd also prefer the NRSV translation.

I have Reading God's Story:  A Chronological Bible on my kindle. (sorry I can't get the link to work).  It has 6 daily Bible readings a week in chronological order with a bit of commentary occ. but not much.  It does seem easier to read in this format.  You can check it out on Amazon and download the sample which is the first 5-6 weeks worth for free to try it out.

I wonder if you might like something along these lines:

The Story Bible by Pearl S. Buck

It's out of print, but inexpensive used copies are available.

"The beloved author of The Good Earth, one of the world's greatest literary masterpieces, viewed both the Old and New Testaments as glorious stories to be read and reread through the generations.

The Story Bible is a stunning accomplishment from a great writer. The Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning author took seventy-two major 'stories' and retold them in the language of today, combining the exciting flavor of history with the accessibility and drama of fiction.

The Story Bible is for young and old, for readers familiar with the Bible, and for those for whom it will be an introduction. And most importantly, it is for everyone, regardless of one's religious views. Here, in words that reflect Pearl S. Buck's awesome talent to bring human courage and human compassion vividly to life, are the stories of the Creation of the World and the Garden of Eden, Noah and the Flood, the Tower of Babel, the Ten Commandments, Jesus in the Wilderness, the Raising of Lazarus, the Way to the Cross, and so much more. Both the Old and the New Testaments are complete -- told memorably, magically, masterfully."

Regards,

Kareni

I second the Bible Gateway app (or visit their website on computer). What I like there is the option to stream one of several audio versions of the Bible. I have found I enjoy the Bible being read to me. Just want you to be aware of that option, too.

I've tried on several occasions to read the Bible cover-to-cover and every time I end up throwing in the towel.  Mostly, because of the format the Bible is printed in ... small print, thin pages, two columns, lots of numbers breaking up the text, lots of footnotes, etc.  I find it all very distracting and tiring. 

Does anyone know if there is a Bible that is printed in a more standard book / paragraph format, on non-see-through pages?  Maybe something that is printed in several volumes, or even better, in electronic format?  And because that isn't enough to ask for, I'd also prefer the NRSV translation.

I always try to buy a Bible in giant print without any commentary so that it's easy to read. It will still have two columns, but that is all. (I've only purchased them in KJV though.)

Again, I don't know about the NRSV, but for the KJV I have printed off pages from an online Bible on the internet for free. They print out in one column only, with each verse beginning on a new line. (Preview the chapter by clicking on the printer icon at the top of the page). Here is the link: http://www.thywordistrue.com/bible.php

YouVersion's Bible app is great and has a ton of versions and reading plans.  You can get daily reminders for your plan if you'd like them.  You can use the app on different kinds of devices, or you can use the website.  If you get behind, you can click a "catch me up" button that adjusts your schedule so that the next unread reading is scheduled for the current day.

My favorite electronic Bible is The World English Bible on Kindle. It's free OR costs $0.99 if you want it with Direct Verse Jump, which I LOVE. Direct Verse Jump lets you type the book code, chapter, and verse into the search bar and will take you directly to the verse rather than having to go to the table of contents and scrolling every time you want to change what verse you are reading. For example, ge.1.2 would take you to Genesis 1:2. It's very handy and very easy to use once you learn all the book name shortcuts (which are listed in the table of contents next to the book names.)

And I know you weren't asking for a read-through-the-Bible program, but I can't pass up any opportunity to recommend this program. :001_smile:  I really like Read Through The Bible For Shirkers And Slackers put out by Ransom Fellowship. It has planned daily readings and you end up reading the entire Bible in about 2 years, but it takes out the guilt and frustration of missing a day (or a week) by assigning different types of books on different days: Poetry on Sundays, Pentateuch on Mondays, OT History on Tuesdays, etc. If you miss a day, just pick-up with the next reading for whatever day of the week you're on. It prints onto one side of a piece of paper, so it's really easy to slip inside the cover of your Bible or pocket of your e-reader cover.

Ok, off my soapbox.  :D  Hope you find what you need!