Menu

Independent science curriculum for animal-loving 2nd grader?

amyc78

My DS loves loves LOVES animals. He is infatuated with habitats, life cycles, diets, cool facts, pictures, etc. His obsession changes weekly- from dinosaurs to raptors to whales to forest animals- but he loves it all. He reads all the books, children's encyclopedias and field guides he can get his hands on and is addicted to Wild Kratts, Animal Atlas, Magic School Bus, etc. We don't so much science formally because he chooses to do so much of it in his free time. Lately he's been asking me for 'animal homework'. I can't add another teacher intensive element to our homeschool right now but was wondering if there is a good independent science program for this age. He loves enchantedlearning.com but we have literally printed and colored every printout on that site! Something I could hand him as 'busy work' but that interests and challenges him would be awesome. Any suggestions?

Maybe Learningpage.com ? They have free printable "units" on different reading levels with worksheets. I used to zoo theme, ocean theme, and reptile/amphibian units for my DS when he was about 7 as independent projects when he went for a month with DH to visit MIL. You have to sign up to see it I think, but maybe this link will work: http://www.learningpage.com/pages/menu_wkshts/fact_oceans.html

Library books?

Then have him write a notebook page for every few books.

If he wants busy work (and some kids do - ask me how I know) you could add in a cheapo work book. But really, at that age, the learning comes from reading exciting books.

If he can read, I would just have him read a book and then do a narration about it.  Or draw a picture from it and label it.  Or, if his writing is really good, maybe have him write a couple of sentences about it.

If his reading is less good, maybe do videos just for him.  He could move up from Kratts to popular shows like Meerkat Manor and movies like March of the Penguins.  Or even to the David Attenborough documentaries.  While some of the detail in them would be above him, I think an animal mad kid would probably enjoy them.  And then, again, you could have him do an oral narration or draw a picture of something he learned and label or caption it.

Obviously, there may be worksheet type things out there, but I'm thinking this would be more authentic and fun for most kids yet still hands off.