Menu

Looking for a 10th grade english course like...

I'm not really sure I can envision what you mean. You can't really teach writing like you do math. They aren't the same kind of skill or subject. Do you primarily mean the video component or the step-by-step explanations? There are programs that could fit some of those criteria but I'm not sure which to recommend since they aren't really "like TT" at all.

I guess after further thinking it would be a writing course that i need. I like the fact that teaching textbooks doesnt need to be done online, but its a cd. We dont have alot of online access here, so i was trying to envision a cd based writing program, but im not thinking that would exist lol!

:lol:  I'm not sure anyone will think this is flattering, but WWS is like TT...  Spiral, builds slowly, able to be done independently by the student...  With an older student you can do them at a faster pace, skipping stuff you don't need. We're going to follow up with IEW Adv. Comm. that SWB recommends, a food writing text, and monthly or bi-monthly argumentative essays.  So I guess figure out where you're at in the process and what you're trying to accomplish.  We use TT, and for us it's about a choice that gets done.  Anything I can structure gets done in our house, so I'm looking for things with structure.

OHE.

What is the food writing text you will be using?  Dd is very interested in this.  TU!

1togo

Will Write for Food by Dianne Jacob.  You should get it from the library to preview.  There are other texts you might like better, depending on what you want.  There's food blogging for dummies, a text endorsed by the CIA, etc.  I liked this one for the diversity of genres of food writing included.  They'll all pop up on amazon when you search.  

Also, I have a wish list I've been tossing things into.  It's literally just a toss, not a statement about what we'll get done.  It will let you see other things I've been looking at.   http://amzn.com/w/3R2DJ123LBWAQ   I just got the Bugaboo book IEW sells, and I'm definitely planning on getting IEW Adv. Comm.  I think we're going to do IEW Adv. Comm. this summer and then hit the other stuff in the fall.  We're not currently planning on doing WWS3.  That's open to change, but *as of right now* that's the plan.  

I don't know if it's on the wish list, but I got Strategies for Successful Writing by Reinking, Hart, and von der Osten a couple years ago after seeing Janice in NJ recommend it.  I never quite knew what to do with it, but it finally clicked in my mind for this coming year.  The 2nd half of the book is modern essays with analysis questions and writing prompts, sort of a rough equivalent of AP Lang.  I thought we might throw those in our mix, referring back to the front of the book in the chapters where the writing is explained if anything is fuzzy.  Really though, it seems like WWS1-2 covered a lot of what the first half of that book is doing, at least enough that we can make it work.  At least that's my theory, lol.  

Gotta go assemble kites.

OhE,

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.  Next year is dd's senior year, and we must have it be more than a slog through boxes to check.  We have done enough of that to meet cover school requirements. 

1togo

OhE,

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.  Next year is dd's senior year, and we must have it be more than a slog through boxes to check.  We have done enough of that to meet cover school requirements. 

1togo

Oh yes, definitely make her senior year special!  Are the food writing essay collections on my wish list?  I think some of them are.  

The Art of Eating: 50th Anniversary Edition                   

Best Food Writing 2012                   

And of course look into food photography

Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & ​Styling                   

This is on my wish list.  I don't know what we'll do with it, but I thought it was interesting.  Might appeal to your dd because she's older.                       Stylish Academic Writing                   

I think there's too much looking at the writing of dead greeks, old stuff, out of date stuff etc. and not enough study of the really EXCELLENT modern writing.  There's definitely not enough looking at women's writing in our studies, and that means we're limited by both gender and genre.  I think this is SO important with girls to balance them out and let them see what WOMEN care about and think about and write about.  This is the new writing and this is where the MONEY is at, in the ability to communicate well about something.  

Well whatever, that's just your little bonus rant for the day.   :D