Menu

English/LA for 2nd Grade - can you help me through this?

sagira

I'm usually not swayed by curricula, and I was planning on being a good little hsing mommy and using PLL and ILL with all three children. My DD6 is moving into 2nd grade next fall, and I was planning on starting PLL with her, no problem. Then I saw English Lessons Through Literature.

Let me explain. Ds couldn't care less about format, he's not very visual. He liked PLL all right. He doesn't like ILL because it makes him write. Now Dd, she's very visual and cares about how things looks. She's artistic, likes beauty, and complains when things are in black and white. The pictures in our PLL are in black and white. Sigh.

I wasn't planning on spending more money on LA as I thought I already had everything. I even have Voyages in English 3. I like VIE's presentation of grammar, but 3 may be a bit too complicated for her. Not sure.  

These are the programs I don't own, but I'm tempted by. I like the looks of English Lessons Through Literature (ELTL). It feels somewhat like a more modern PLL, with color pictures. I also love the idea of the literature being culled from whole stories and books instead of excerpts. The only con I can see that we are tied down to the selections, which means we can't do English that day if the section has not been read. Which is not a biggie, I think.

Then there's Galore Park Junior English Book 1. I own JE Book 2 and 3, but not 1. I like the informal way it's presented, but thorough, and varied. The cons are the snippets of reading selections. That could be a pro for reading comp, though. 

So what are my options?

1- Just do PLL, woman. Resist temptation.

2- Combine PLL with ELTL

3- Combine PLL with GP JE Book 1

4- Skip PLL altogether and do just ELTL

5- Skip PLL and combine ELTL and GP JE Book 1

6- Combine PLL with Voyages in English (it's colorful!) and save money

7- Combine ELTL and VIE

8- Combine ELTL and GP JE Book 1

Ah! So many choices! I'm running around in circles and I can't seem to decide. She's comfortable with the pencil, but she hasn't written too much this year. Copywork and penmanship, that's about it. She writes for fun too. What to do?

ETA: I may be moving into CAP's Writing & Rhetoric in 3rd.. but of this I'm not certain either. I was so sure with DS. Why am I having doubts with my girl now?

I don't know if it sways you or not, but if you get a print copy of ELTL, the pictures are not in color. You can get a free download (from the publisher's Lulu store) of color versions of the picture to print yourself or to look at on your computer.

I don't think it would be worthwhile to combine PLL and ELTL, one or the other would be sufficient.

Would she want to color in the pictures in PLL?

My kids consider it a treat and it's now become routine - whenever we are done with a lesson or page in ANYTHING... they.color.the.picture.  Slows things down a bit but keeps 'em happy.   :)

Hmm.. I had never considered this as I do have another daughter who's 3 1/2 years younger who's going to follow in dd's footsteps. I guess I could copy the pages. Good idea, though. This still doesn't get rid of my temptations ;)

I don't know if it sways you or not, but if you get a print copy of ELTL, the pictures are not in color. You can get a free download (from the publisher's Lulu store) of color versions of the picture to print yourself or to look at on your computer.

I don't think it would be worthwhile to combine PLL and ELTL, one or the other would be sufficient.

Thanks! So.. which one would you choose? I can't seem to decide. Maybe I should stick to what I already have.. 

I'm actually going to use ELTL for 2nd grade. But if you already own and are familiar with PLL, it seems like it would be good to stick with that. Unless you were bothered by PLL in some way, why "fix" what isn't broken?

You see, that's the thing. PLL doesn't bother me, but looking at ELTL makes me think it may be even better. Grass is greener syndrome, I guess? DS10 still struggles with many basics in writing, including capitalization and punctuation, and ELTL seems to hit all that a little harder. 

I also like the vitality and tone of Galore Park JE, but I think writing all this out makes me lean more towards ELTL.. or stick with PLL ha

Shiny new program calling..!

So divided..

Order GP JE 1. Use it and be happy and smiley. :) {Yep, I'm an enabler.}

If only it were so easy.. Hey, maybe it is  :tongue_smilie:

And here I am, usually not tempted, but look what's staring me in the face here - a CM-style workbook and text all worked out for me. My sixth grader will be demanding a lot of my attention. I like nice and easy but still strong for DD6 (then 7). ELTL also jives with the literature we'll be reading.. something that I never managed to do on my own. Just didn't get done. Hence PLL.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/kathy-jo-devore/english-lessons-through-literature-level-2/paperback/product-21565485.html

Here's Galore Park:

https://www.galorepark.co.uk/Product?Product=9781902984827

Do you see what I mean? Both look solid and enticing, especially ELTL as I'm already familiar with GP.

Anybody out there who's been using ELTL or has used it and can talk me down (or up)?

Thinking more through.. ELTL would also eliminate the need for separate poetry, as it's built in. Aesop's Fables complement our ancient history studies.. Color pictures available for free.. Workbooks available in our font our choice (Italic).. Whole book classics.. grammar instruction through all this.. Hmm... More hmm...

If I weren't so intent at using what I already have, I would have already bought it a few days ago. But.. it looks so.. good. 

Darn it, sagira, now you've got me drooling over ELTL! A pox on both your houses!!! ;) :p

Hehe.. Here's Cathy Duffy's review: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/english-lessons-through-literature.htm

:D

Sagira 1: Let's get that new program! It looks exactly like what you've been dreaming of over the years!

Sagira 2: Use what you already have. You are usually content with what you have. It works. Why fix something if it isn't broken?

Have you seen Language Lessons for Today? It is an updated PLL, and I think that it is very pretty....I'm considering it, but haven't quite decided yet:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/70/0/0/1#Grades_2-8

Oh my.. another one to the mix. I think this one is truly an updated PLL! 

It occurred to me that I could just ask DD6 what she wants to use and have her try samples of ELTL, GP JE Book1, and even LLFT (the above) before committing to anything! Duh. I'm glad I didn't agonize, left this post here then went to clean and organize my room. Who would have thought that decluttering could clear your head too?

Thanks for all opinions. For the moment I think I'm going to stick with PLL and VIE as I said, and try out the samples.