Menu

How much would you spend on hockey?

Haiku

How much would you spend on hockey ...  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you spend on one season of elite-level hockey for your child?

• $0-2000
    • $2,001-4000
    • $4,001-6000
    • $6,001-8000
    • $8,001-10,000
    • Greater than $10,000
  2. 2. Do you believe it is the responsibility of parents to do everything they can for a child to potentially succeed big-time in their chosen activity?

• Yes
    • No

This whole issue wasn't even an issue until a few weeks ago, when dh unexpectedly landed a new job with a huge (as in greater than 50%) pay increase. We knew the AAA team wanted our son this coming season. We also knew there was no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks we could ever afford it.

Suddenly, we are thrown into a situation where our framework has changed because we CAN now afford it. It would not entail, as someone else posted, no financial sacrifice on our part. There would be sacrifice to some extent, but we could do it without negatively impacting the rest of the family financially.

Our son's dedication to hockey is not in question. He works hard and is dedicated. He loves hockey more than anything else. But he's newly 11 and doesn't see hockey as a means to any end at this point. He just loves hockey and wants to play with the best. I don't devalue that.

They are just giving him a spot on a AAA team? No tryout?

Is there another goalie?

No, he's not being given a spot with no try-out. We are fairly certain, however, based on his prior experience with the team (including a recent try-out for a spring tournament where he was selected as goalie) and the fact that the coach has inquired several times to make sure ds will be trying out, that he would be one of the two goalies on the team. Of course it is entirely possible that he will not make the team, in which case all our worry over what to do will come to naught.

No, he's not being given a spot with no try-out. We are fairly certain, however, based on his prior experience with the team (including a recent try-out for a spring tournament where he was selected as goalie) and the fact that the coach has inquired several times to make sure ds will be trying out, that he would be one of the two goalies on the team. Of course it is entirely possible that he will not make the team, in which case all our worry over what to do will come to naught.

I wish him all the luck in the world, if you decide to go for it.

I was worried that they were offering him a spot as a dedicated backup, but without telling you that until after he signed.

Just for fun sports aren't worth $11k per year and making the family's life revolve around the activity. For that kind of investment, it's a serious commitment to try to go as far as the child has the potential to. The child has to be fully aware of what he/she is getting into.

There are plenty of recreational sports that the child who isn't willing to make that serious a commitment can pursue instead.

This really depends on your income and standard of living, though.

I imagine a family living in the third world on say $10/day would think $40/month piano lessons would be insane, and not a frivolous investment, etc. etc.

We tend to think otherwise, because $40/month isn't a huge amount of money to most in the first world.

There are people for whom $11,000 a year is not a huge deal.  Judging their feelings about the expense based on your income/standard of living is incongruous.

There are people for whom $11,000 a year is not a huge deal.  

Just to be clear, we are not those people. $11,000 is a big deal for us. For the first time in our married lives, we are in a situation where we could afford it, but it's not "no big deal." It's a big deal.

Also, it may not be that much. There is a team fee and a range of projected travel costs. It could be as low as $6-7,000 (and I realize that "low" is relative here).

By contrast, the team fee and projected travel expenses for the AA team my son is guaranteed a spot on should he decline the AAA team would cost us about $3,000 or slightly more.

I have to admit that one of the things I consider in spending this massive amount of money is how much I could do for "my" kids in the orphanages in Ukraine that I volunteered with for a month last summer. It seems very bourgeois of me to even consider spending this money on hockey when there are kids who are literally tied to cribs and rotting in orphanages.

But that's another conversation entirely, I suppose.

Depends on how much the family has.

A mom recently told me that her 12 year's hockey endeavors cost about $7K-$8K per year.  They have the money and want to let him do it, so not really a question of should they, but I think it is crazy.......but I may not fully understand because I don't have sports minded kids.  

Dawn

Depends on how much the family has.

A mom recently told me that her 12 year's hockey endeavors cost about $7K-$8K per year.  They have the money and want to let him do it, so not really a question of should they, but I think it is crazy.......but I may not fully understand because I don't have sports minded kids.  

Dawn

Hockey is crazy expensive, tons of pads plus ice time. Short of,say, horse riding, it's a wildly expensive choice when it comes to sports and I'm always surprised how popular it is.  But I think the combination of inhuman speed and use-a-stick finesse is an exhilarating combo. 

I'll say this, here in New England I know a ton of families who rent ski cabins every winter and Cape Cod houses ever summer and that easily adds up to $7K per year, for just a few weeks of fun versus a whole year of hockey.

If he loves it, you can quit anytime, and it won't hurt you financially, I'd go for it. Especially because he has extraordinary talent. With his multiple health problems, and it sounds like he has found his niche, I think life is too short to not pursue passions (as long as it doesn't become too stressful for the family). 

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and stories. In the end our son chose to stick with AA hockey for this year. He felt that the time away from home the AAA scheduled necessitated was more than he wanted for this year. We were actually at a AAA tournament this weekend, so he talked to his coach about it. His coach understood and was supportive, said there was always next year, and reminded our son he could still try out for the tournament-only teams next season.

So both our kids will play for our local organization's travel program. :)