Menu

Pulled my kids from public school in March...need a lil advise.

Guest sumerd36

Guest sumerd36

I pulled my kids last month and we took and little break, now we are a few weeks into homeschooling and doing well. My question is where to start them in grammar and writing? My fifth and fourth grader are doing Rod and Staff (book 5) for grammar and they are doing okay. The fourth grader is struggling a little, not terribly,  but his writing skills are very much in need of help. I read that a formal writing program is not needed with Rod and Staff, but I feel like he really needs some extra help in this area, and there doesn't seem to be much writing in Rod and Staff thus far. Would he benefit from Writing with Ease 4 maybe, at the same time we use Rod and Staff or is this too much?

OOps Im new here, maybe I should post this somewhere else! Sorry!

We love SWB and Peace Hill Press materials. I would spend some time looking through and seeing what level to use. The grade and numbers on curriculum are very general. He might need to go a level down and have success instead of struggling through a higher level. Welcome and enjoy!

Welcome!  I agree, post this question on the General education board or on the K-8 board.  You may get quicker and more in depth responses.  (edited to add that I see you already have :) ).

You should look and see if there are any homeschooling conventions in your area.  I have learned a TON at the two I have attended.  I am going to one about 4 hours away in May.  I went last year and it was really informative.  I also got some great deals on curriculum and met some wonderful people.  There are big and small ones scattered all over.  The one in Cincinnati is supposed to be really amazing.  I had hoped to go to that one but it is just too far away and my schedule wouldn't allow it.  Maybe next year...   :)

Also, I suggest you become a member of the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op if you haven't already.  Great deals on all sorts of things, bargains happen all the time, and you gain access to some things that would not be affordable or available unless you were a school district.  Membership is free.

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the age/grade level of your children, I would just give them some time off.  Read great books, build things, visit museums, make crafts, etc.

I don't know if the concept of deschooling is still around, but a total break between 'out' school and homeschool can be vital.  

I agree with previous posters that this is a good time for you to explore whats out there, conventions can be helpful, books about homeschooling can be helpful. I would not rush into setting something up for this school year though. 

We pulled our kids out of school about this time of year, three years ago. We ended up tweaking our curricula. I would try to buy used or borrow from anyone you know. We aren't using anything that we started with. It is really a give and take, learning where your child is educationally, learning how they learn best and learning how to adequately teach yourself!

Best Wishes!