Menu

Phoenix-area WTM'ers ... need your help please!

We are getting ready to relocate our family to the Phoenix area, permanently.  I am asking for help in getting recommendations for great homeschool/extra curricular activities, classes, and groups.  Do you have a piano teacher that seems to work magic?  Some art classes that your kids absolutely love?   Any help you can give to new Phoenix homeschoolers?

Here's some information to help:

~I grew up in the Phoenix area, but lived on the east side of the valley.  And while I have visited regularly, I have been away a long time.  We just bought a house that has 7th Street & Greenway (just south of Bell) as the major cross streets - an area that I'm pretty unfamiliar with.  Although, it's really not that far west from Paradise Valley Mall.

~I will have a 3rd grade daughter and a 2nd grade son in the upcoming school year.

~We are particularly looking for piano lessons.  They've had about a year of Simply Music lessons.  I am looking for another Simply Music teacher (not sure there is one in Phoenix) or a traditional piano teacher that keeps things fun.  I have no interest in dealing with a "rigorous/rigid" music teacher who takes him or herself way too seriously . . . my eldest daughter had a grim violin teacher like that who pretty much ruined her love of music.

~Also looking for swim lessons. 

~My daughter is particularly interested in a chorus or choir.  No experience.

~My son needs some physical activity . . . strongly considering tae kwon do since Dad has a lot of experience in that.  Considering Boy Scouts as well (we've never participated before).

~Both kids love art, and I have absolutely no art or creative ability.  Would love some nice supplemental art classes.

We are open to other options too.  Spanish would be lovely. 

Thank you in advance for any input or recommendations you can give!!

Lynn! So excited to hear you'll be out here soon! My oldest lives up where you'll be...I'm out west and by the 10, so really too far away to have any good information. But welcome back :) Message me when you're back in town.

Barb, I will be SO looking forward to finally getting to meet you!  :)     Hope you and your family have been well.

-sportskidzaz.org--- has PE for homeschoolers at locations all over the valley

-moezartproductions.com--- is a christian homeschool drama group that has several locations 

-http://www.theparsonsfamily.com/fieldtrips.htm    This is a site where you can sign up to receive regular emails (Shine newsletter) about things that are going on around the valley...field trips, classes, etc

-there are several Classical Conversations groups throughout the valley although I do not know if they are all full for next year

Hope that will be helpful!

Hawaii to Phoenix...hmmm, not sure if you should do that.   :)   :)

Hi

We moved away from Arizona a couple years ago but before we left we did swimming and piano.

For swimming we did SWIMKIDS and loved it. They did an amazing job teaching my kids to swim.
http://www.swimkidsaz.com/

And for piano we did Yamaha music school. Mrs. Heidi is wonderful with kids and loves teaching piano to everyone. http://www.evyms.com/

Arizona is a great place to be.

My daughter attends the Eagleridge Enrichment Program in Mesa (open to students from all over the valley). She's always enjoyed it and gets a lot out of the program.
http://www.mpsaz.org/eagleridge

Thank you, Ravin.  This program looks great - can't believe how long it's been around! - but it graphs out at around 30 miles away.  Probably too far for us, but thanks anyway for responding.  :)

-sportskidzaz.org--- has PE for homeschoolers at locations all over the valley

-moezartproductions.com--- is a christian homeschool drama group that has several locations 

-http://www.theparsonsfamily.com/fieldtrips.htm    This is a site where you can sign up to receive regular emails (Shine newsletter) about things that are going on around the valley...field trips, classes, etc

-there are several Classical Conversations groups throughout the valley although I do not know if they are all full for next year

Hope that will be helpful!

Hawaii to Phoenix...hmmm, not sure if you should do that.   :)   :)

Thank you, very helpful!!  Just bookmarked several of your great ideas - many thanks!

Hi

We moved away from Arizona a couple years ago but before we left we did swimming and piano.

For swimming we did SWIMKIDS and loved it. They did an amazing job teaching my kids to swim.
http://www.swimkidsaz.com/

And for piano we did Yamaha music school. Mrs. Heidi is wonderful with kids and loves teaching piano to everyone. http://www.evyms.com/

Arizona is a great place to be.

Thank you Jenne - great suggestions!

I agree with you; Arizona IS a great place to be.  We are really happy to be moving back there.  :)

Thank you, Ravin. This program looks great - can't believe how long it's been around! - but it graphs out at around 30 miles away. Probably too far for us, but thanks anyway for responding. :)

I posted it because I know students come there from as far away as Luke AFB. So it seemed worth throwing out there.

I also frankly have a poor grasp of geography north and west of downtown Phoenix, having lived in Chandler and Tempe since moving here 10yrs. ago.

I posted it because I know students come there from as far away as Luke AFB. So it seemed worth throwing out there.

I also frankly have a poor grasp of geography north and west of downtown Phoenix, having lived in Chandler and Tempe since moving here 10yrs. ago.

I completely understand.  In some ways I know the Valley like the back of my hand - moved there in 1974! - but I also have gaping holes.  Our realtor drove us to whole neighborhoods/areas that were *completely* unfamiliar to me!  I guess that's why I explained where I grew up (Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area) vs. where we will actually be moving to.  :)

I was going to recommend the SHINE newsletter, too, there's a lot of theater opportunities in it. I would think that the gal who runs it could probably point you in the direction of choir/chorus if you don't get any other responses.

I am west of you and so I don't have much to offer, either.

There is a FB group, "Just Field Trips" - the gal only organizes field trips (valleywide), but it is a good way to get in some field trips without actually belong to a homeschool group. It doesn't seem like there has been as many this past year, but I also have been involved in other groups.

I was going to recommend the SHINE newsletter, too, there's a lot of theater opportunities in it. I would think that the gal who runs it could probably point you in the direction of choir/chorus if you don't get any other responses.

I am west of you and so I don't have much to offer, either.

There is a FB group, "Just Field Trips" - the gal only organizes field trips (valleywide), but it is a good way to get in some field trips without actually belong to a homeschool group. It doesn't seem like there has been as many this past year, but I also have been involved in other groups.

Signed up for the SHINE newsletter - great advice.  Will check out the FB group as well.  Thanks!!

We attend Eagleridge and love it!  We drive about 30 min to get there, but feel it's totally worth it (and not so bad for one day a week).  From 7th st and Bell, you'd just take the 101 around and down (get on at 7th st and off at Guadalupe).  20-30 min tops.

Oh and Homeschool Hub on meetup.com She is actuall based out of the north valley, but plans field trips and activities all over.

Welcome back to the valley! We're in Tempe, so I'm probably not much help. My kids love being part of the Chandler Children's Choir, but that's way too far for you to drive. I am a piano teacher (not currently accepting students), but I may be able to connect you with some options in your part of town. There's another program like Eagleridge isn't there? I want to say it's in Ahwatukee. Am I making that up? Wouldn't be quite as bad a drive. I third or fourth the SportsKidz recommendation.

Welcome back to the valley! We're in Tempe, so I'm probably not much help. My kids love being part of the Chandler Children's Choir, but that's way too far for you to drive. I am a piano teacher (not currently accepting students), but I may be able to connect you with some options in your part of town. There's another program like Eagleridge isn't there? I want to say it's in Ahwatukee. Am I making that up? Wouldn't be quite as bad a drive. I third or fourth the SportsKidz recommendation.

Thank you so much Sara! I would be grateful for any recommendations you might have for piano.  I saw that there is a Yamaha music lesson studio not far from our house . . . don't know anything about their classes/method at all.  Do you, by any chance?

Yamaha is amazing. Kind of Suzuki ish with learning to read music along the way. And they teach solfege singing (the do re mi fa so type). My kids loved it.

Oh, good to know - thanks!!

Sounds like at least some overlap with Simply Music.  We've been thrilled with Simply Music, but the nearest teacher is in Casa Grande!  And I am actually tempted to make the drive, maybe on an every other week basis or something.

Really good to know that Yamaha might be a great option too.