Menu

Camping Tub Organization

Susan in TN

I've been reading about organizing camping supplies in tubs on a couple of websites, and I would love to hear how this (or another system) has worked for you.

I am making camping lists for a week-long family car camping trip in May, and even though we have most of what we need (lots of scouting), the sheer amount of stuff for a family of 8 is getting long...

We have a tough box with tents, sleeping bags and other big stuff like the Dutch oven, then we have a smaller box with things like backpacking stoves, dishes, roasting sticks, first aid kit, etc.

I have seen organizational ideas with people using those plastic drawers, is that more what you mean? You might look on my camping Pinterest boards, I know I have a bunch of stuff like that pinned. My username is mrsmungo.

Oh my, I have a great tip for this!

Last year my husband bought a rolling tool box thing...he calls it a chuck box. I can't find the exact one, but it's similar to this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark-Global-Stackable-Mobile-Tool-Box-with-Wheels/19676555

Ours has 3 layers. The bottom. It one holds all of our camping pots, large utensils, and plates etc.
Then there is a middle layer that has dividers like a silverware tray that we put plastic ware and the like in.
Then the top box holds bowls, dish soap, mugs, etc.
The great thing is, it all buckles together and can roll. We used it a ton and we can just leave everything right in it between trips.

We have a couple large utility storage boxes that hold sleeping pads and bags, camp stove, and any other large items.

we use mostly the medium-small totes. Usually one for each kid's clothes, one for mine, one for heavy/warm clothes if it'll be cold.

Kitchen stuff gets its own tote. Bedding aside from sleeping bags gets a tote.

I ahve a huge tote for the walls of our tent (a 10X20 garage)

totes are really nice for clothes, etc., because they help keep water out.

Note: I SCA camp, so the scale is kind of "everything but the kitchen sink" (actually a tote makes a good kitchen sink...)

This blogger has a complete list of what is in her bins:
http://takingontoday.com/2013/05/06/tent-camping-packing-list-organization/

Lists like this are particularly helpful - particularly seeing what kinds of things she has packed to be able to get to first - tent set up and things.

Isn't Pinterest fabulous? So many cool ideas! My kids saw a picture of a "glamping" tent and were mesmorized. I had to break it to them that our family attracts too much mud to achieve that look. :D

Lists like this are particularly helpful - particularly seeing what kinds of things she has packed to be able to get to first - tent set up and things.

Isn't Pinterest fabulous? So many cool ideas! My kids saw a picture of a "glamping" tent and were mesmorized. I had to break it to them that our family attracts too much mud to achieve that look. :D

You'd be surprised.

We have a tough box with tents, sleeping bags and other big stuff like the Dutch oven, then we have a smaller box with things like backpacking stoves, dishes, roasting sticks, first aid kit, etc.

I have seen organizational ideas with people using those plastic drawers, is that more what you mean? You might look on my camping Pinterest boards, I know I have a bunch of stuff like that pinned. My username is mrsmungo.

Well, Mrs. Mungo, I went to your board so I could see your camping pins, but I haven't made it past your glorious food! Yum! When I quit drooling, I will go back to look at the camping pins. ;)