Menu

On line Spanish course-high school/jr. high

Besides The Potter School, where else can I find an on line spanish course for high school and jr. high?  I am looking for a reasonably priced option.

Thanks

pam

On the other hand, if someone has taken Spanish from the Potter School and knows of an instructor who has a "gentle"  approach, that would work as well.  My oldest daughter has taken French for 3 years at Potter and has excelled with a rigorous instructor, but my next child would probably not do well with that approach.

OSU offers an online Spanish asynchronous class with weekly conversation practice. It's probably the least expensive option open to you now. Landry Academy offers Spanish classes, but its only inexpensive if you prebuy generic semesters when they have sales.

Here's the OSU link:

http://spanishonline.okstate.edu/

I haven't used either of these yet. I'm waiting for my dd to decide if she wants to take Algebra online to see if I go with LA or OSU. I wouldn't pay full price for LA having OSU available, so if she wants to take math, I'll sign her up for OSU Spanish and use my credits for math.

Ray Leven

https://sites.google.com/site/spanishlearningonline/

He also teaches the AP Spanish course for PA homeschoolers.  My son is a young 8th grader and has really enjoyed it.  Not sure what you mean by "gentle."  There is a good bit of work.  It starts out pretty easy, but does increase in work load.  There is an hour Skype a week (nearly 1.5 hours actually, and this year my son only has 2 other classmates for Spanish 1).  The Skype is almost all oral.  Lots of flash cards.  LOTS of humor.  Then there are online assignments at the Vista site which my son enjoys, as well as worksheets that Mr. Leven assigns.  If my son has a question he almost always responds within the hour (sometimes within minutes).  

DS has learned a LOT of Spanish this year, far more than his friend at the local private school.

HTH!

Ray Leven

https://sites.google.com/site/spanishlearningonline/

He also teaches the AP Spanish course for PA homeschoolers.  My son is a young 8th grader and has really enjoyed it.  Not sure what you mean by "gentle."  There is a good bit of work.  It starts out pretty easy, but does increase in work load.  There is an hour Skype a week (nearly 1.5 hours actually, and this year my son only has 2 other classmates for Spanish 1).  The Skype is almost all oral.  Lots of flash cards.  LOTS of humor.  Then there are online assignments at the Vista site which my son enjoys, as well as worksheets that Mr. Leven assigns.  If my son has a question he almost always responds within the hour (sometimes within minutes).  

DS has learned a LOT of Spanish this year, far more than his friend at the local private school.

HTH!

Does he also focus on grammar?

re Mr. Leven and a grammar focus....

caveat - I hate grammar, hated it as a child (despite A's), hate it as an adult, and as a result it isn't DS's favorite subject either.  

This week, DS has to write 15 sentences including indirect objects, 3 sets of 5, each with slightly different characteristics.  This is in addition to online work, and another worksheet or two of translations that Mr. Leven assigns.  

So in my mind, YES he focuses on grammar.  However, he is really great about answering questions.  If you have specific questions, email him.