Menu

Did you do memory work for Grammar Stage Ancient History???

I saw an old post ('08) addressing the 'how-to' of memory work for this year... I'm curious how many of you actually *did* memory work for your first pass at Ancient History? What did you do? Did it stick? Do you feel it was at all beneficial - b/c it was extra mental exercise? or b/c your dc actually learned from it? 

Here's another more recent post on that subject. Last year we did SOTW 1. I meant to use SOTW's review cards as memory work, but we didn't stick with it. Instead, I emphasized lots of Bible memory, rather than history. For example, ds1 memorized, books of the OT and NT, and their divisions and categories, sons of Adam, 12 tribes of Israel, 10 plagues on Egypt, a poem for the 7 ancient wonders of the world, a poem for the 10 Commandments, Exodus 20:3-17 in actuality, what God made on the 7 days of creation, and a few other things. This year with SOTW2, we're using VP's timeline cards as our memory work for history.

ETA: To answer your questions more directly, I felt this was beneficial, because it was on Bible rather than history. Otherwise I might have felt it was time wasted with such a young child. But it was still connected to the time period, so I liked that as well. It is sticking because I review it ala Living Memory and SCM's Scripture memory advice. Much of the actual history didn't stick. :)

Thanks for that link, Amy! That was helpful.

I would still like to know - from those who *did* some history memory work... Did it really stick? There are sooo many things we could memorize these next few years. I know SWB pushes for grammar stage kids learning all the facts they can... But we won't be able to do *everything.* History *memory* work (as in the list of Roman emperors, dates. etc.) seems to be disconnected from their real lives, KWIM? We will be doing Bible memory work...and I think a lot of science, grammar, math memory can be incorporated into their lives so that they *use* it and don't forget...  Poetry helps to develop an ear for language (even if they've totally forgotten half the poems three years later). But what about history? So...if we spend all this time working on the pharaohs...will they really remember them when they get to the logic stage? Or should we just focus on the stories - and allow them to soak in facts in a story context?

Our DD is currently in 5th.  We did Ancients last year when we jumped on the classical bandwagon.  I found the website Study Stack: http://www.studystack.com  With this program, you can study using just the flashcard program, or games like hangman, crosswords, and matching.  DD just likes to do the flashcards.

I continually built up a study stack for Ancient history comprised mostly of important historical people and events.  Each day of history, before beginning a lesson, DD had to review her cards.  It took her about 15 minutes.  By the end of the year, she had 236 cards memorized.  She still remembers many of those cards, and they have kept the chronology of events in perspective for her.

This year, we are studying the Middle Ages, Renaissance, & Reformation.  So far, she has 153 cards in this stack (I tried to cut back to only the most key players & events of this time period or she would have been overwhelmed).  Same thing, she must review them everyday she has history, prior to class.  Many of her tests and quizzes come from these cards.  In addition, she also has cards for science.  All the vocabulary words for Chemistry have been added to it's own stack.  This has been instrumental in her retaining the meaning of key terms.

Doing the cards hasn't been onerous for me.  When planning for the next week, I look at the key concepts and people lists within that week of TOG and just add by editing those cards.  It only takes me a few minutes.  Then I save (thereby updating) the list, and we're good to go.

I plan to pare down both Ancients and our current history lists into one for the summer so she can continue to review the most key events and keep a frame of reference for past events moving forward into TOG 3 next year.

I also plan to add a stack for her Bible memory verses next year because, while we do an in-depth family Bible study, we have been woeful in keeping up Bible memory verses.  This needs to change.

By doing these stacks prior to each appropriate class, DD is guaranteed to retain most of the pertinent information for recall when necessary with minimal expenditure of time.  If she doesn't dawdle (which she's prone to), she can do them within 15 minutes of each class.  I built that into the time allotment for those classes.

No, I don't do history memory work in grammar stage. Instead, I have my children read plenty (our I read to them if necessary), and they tend to remember the parts that interest them. I've been surprised at how many connections my 4th grader has made, and how much he remembers that I don't remember.

In fact, I could probably use that study stack review idea myself. :lol:

The more I thought about this question over the last few days, as well as many of the answers, I just thought to myself why not?  If you fail to include any memorization, what is the point?  This is the GRAMMAR STAGE.  :-/ The purpose of the grammar stage is to remember.  Facts and drill are of great importance. At this age, they focus on tangible and concrete information. Anything abstract or subjective is a total waste of time, IMO. This means memorization and drill.  Do not waste these years.  It goes against the very foundation of a classical learning methodology.

I really think that before you dismiss any memorization within your homeschool that you should grab the latest edition of the catalogue/magazine from Memoria Press (pg 20) and have a read.  I loved the account of this father.  He had some very valid points that support my own practice and belief towards memorization and classical education.

Overview of the Grammar Stage

The more I thought about this question over the last few days, as well as many of the answers, I just thought to myself why not?  If you fail to include any memorization, what is the point?  This is the GRAMMAR STAGE.  :-/ The purpose of the grammar stage is to remember.  Facts and drill are of great importance. At this age, they focus on tangible and concrete information. Anything abstract or subjective is a total waste of time, IMO. This means memorization and drill.  Do not waste these years.  It goes against the very foundation of a classical learning methodology.

I really think that before you dismiss any memorization within your homeschool that you should grab the latest edition of the catalogue/magazine from Memoria Press (pg 20) and have a read.  I loved the account of this father.  He had some very valid points that support my own practice and belief towards memorization and classical education.

Overview of the Grammar Stage

You have me thinking. :) I'll take a look at the catalog... 

I am all for grammar age children doing a lot of memory work. I'm just not sure that the history memory (memorizing facts that they can't really wrap their minds around or relate to their daily lives) will help them in the long run...other than as an exercise for their brains. :) I could be totally wrong - that's why I'm asking the question. But there are sooo many things we can memorize! Way more than we will get to in the next few years. I think at this stage, I place greatest priority on memorizing Scripture, math facts, grammar/spelling rules/terms/lists, and poetry.

With history, I want them to enjoy the Story of the World. I want to fill their mind with *stories*... 

I'm mostly trying to see what moms have done with history memory work - and how they feel that has been beneficial (or not) for their kids long term. 

Hope that makes sense. :) Thanks for the thoughts, Chrissy! I've subscribed to the catalog - looking forward to perusing it! :)

We did not do memory work in history the first time we did the ancients, but then we discovered Classical Conversations. I love their history sentences. My kids come across key words (in books, Movies, conversation, games) and they recall the sentence they have memorized, helping to put that person or event in context. I rearranged CCs history sentences to be somewhat chronological and we learn them as we get to that point in history.

Would you want to give a link for the stacks you've created? :)

Our DD is currently in 5th.  We did Ancients last year when we jumped on the classical bandwagon.  I found the website Study Stack: http://www.studystack.com  With this program, you can study using just the flashcard program, or games like hangman, crosswords, and matching.  DD just likes to do the flashcards.

You have me thinking. :) I'll take a look at the catalog... 

I am all for grammar age children doing a lot of memory work. I'm just not sure that the history memory (memorizing facts that they can't really wrap their minds around or relate to their daily lives) will help them in the long run...other than as an exercise for their brains. :) I could be totally wrong - that's why I'm asking the question. But there are sooo many things we can memorize! Way more than we will get to in the next few years. I think at this stage, I place greatest priority on memorizing Scripture, math facts, grammar/spelling rules/terms/lists, and poetry.

With history, I want them to enjoy the Story of the World. I want to fill their mind with *stories*... 

I'm mostly trying to see what moms have done with history memory work - and how they feel that has been beneficial (or not) for their kids long term. 

Hope that makes sense. :) Thanks for the thoughts, Chrissy! I've subscribed to the catalog - looking forward to perusing it! :)

I linked the catalog - you can read the article online.

As for history facts:  Who was the first president?  What is the name of the ships that brought the Pilgrims?  In what year did Columbus set sail?  When was the American Revolution? 

You are drilling common knowledge.  :)

Yes we included history facts/lists in our daily memorization and recitation time. Off hand I remember doing a list of major pharaohs and the first 20 emperors of Rome. It might not seem useful at the time but over time I've found it very useful - when we hear or read about something from that time period my daughter can still make basic connections about the time.

Here's a post about what we memorized in first grade and how we fit in a daily recitation time.