Menu

Spine for Physics for Elementary ages?

ScoutTN

I've looked at The New Way Things Work and we can use it, but it will be a bit of a stretch. More of a logic stage book, I think.  Is there anything a little easier?

We'll do physics for about half of next year, with a DD 9, 4th grader, who reads well and a DS 7,1st grader, who will be just into chapter books. I would love to have something DD can read on her own.

We are using The New Way Things Work this year. I found that if you can pair it with the videos it makes it a lot more accessible at this age. We had access to probably 1/3 of the videos and the rest of the time I tied to Bill Nye or any other video I could find on the topics. We watch a video, read, then write a couple sentences/facts down. that's about it.  

We are using NOEO Physics I and it comes with a lot of little books but no spine. I bought a few to see what I like. I apologize but I haven't read any but wanted to share in case you can check them out at the library. First is John Hudson Tiner's "Exploring the World of Physics" and then there's Joy Hakim's "Story of Sciience" series. I'm using the pink one called "Newton in the Middle", I think. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have learned that science the WTM way really suits our homeschool best. Purchased curriculum is just not a good fit for us in this area. We just read, read, read and along the way do a few learning activities and it works for us. There are some narrations, drawings, videos etc. in the mix too too.  :)

Next year we will incorporate one project at the end of the year and then in the logic stage they will do a project for the science fair each year. 

For your 1st grader (4th grader might enjoy the activities, but the reading level is low)

Adrienne Mason's Primary Physical Science series 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=primary+physical+science+adrienne+mason

Selected Let's Read and Find Out titles, Magic School Bus, Robert E. Wells and other titles on magnets, electricity, simple machines, etc.

My children really like the The Way Things Work DVDs.  

We're using Mr. Q Physics as a spine, I use the main lecture to explain the concepts, then throw in a video afterward. PhysicsVideos ( http://physicsvideos.tripod.com/) has several nice ones for free, we like the ones by Julius Sumner Miller. The Way Things Work DVDs are good too, as well as Disney imagineering videos - hopefully you can find them at the library. 

+1 also for the Let's Read and Find Out books mentioned above. We have non-fiction reading time at the end of every school day, and I might suggest titles related to our study (although ultimately it's DS's choice, so long as it's from the basket of science books).

I am using Everyday Science series. There are six small hardback books: electricity, energy, forces, light, magnetism, and sound. They are excellent. On my phone so can link to them tomorrow if you can't find them

One we are using right now is called Fully charged: electricity 0431167427

Ruth in NZ

Here are the other full titles.  My 10 year old has really enjoyed reading them with me and taking tangents with google whenever we want.  It is an excellent series.

Turning up the heat: energy

under pressure: forces

Opposites attract: magnetism

seeing things: light

Making waves: sound

Fully charged: electricity