Menu

What are your best car rental tips?

Ottakee

Looks like we will be renting a car to drive to drive from Michigan to South Carolina.  It is about 900 miles each way plus some travel in Columbia, SC.

We need a full size car.  It will be my brother and myself driving so we are related but not married or partners so we have to figure out that extra driver fee.

I am a AAA member and we figured we could check with our car insurance place for discounts.  Any other ideas/hints, etc?  We will rent the car for a week even though we only need it for 4-5 days.

Find out what your personal car insurance and/or credit card cover as far as rental car insurance.  The insurance you buy from the rental company is very expensive and is often unnecessary and most people are already covered by (first) the credit card they rent the car with and (second) their own car insurance.  This is not the case for everyone, but the vast majority, so check ahead of time.

Find out what your personal car insurance and/or credit card cover as far as rental car insurance. The insurance you buy from the rental company is very expensive and is often unnecessary and most people are already covered by (first) the credit card they rent the car with and (second) their own car insurance. This is not the case for everyone, but the vast majority, so check ahead of time.

Yes, check the insurance. AMEX, even at the Costco level, had excellent insurance coverage that applied automatically if you used their card for the rental. I was able to skip the insurance from the rental company.

Fill up with gas as close as possible when you return. If the rental place has a policy of refilling, you may pay top price for that gas. Also check the tank at the time you rent the car.

I'm not sure about this, but the rental company may put a hold on you credit card that is greater than the rental. If you are using a card with a low limit, that is something to consider,

Check hours of the rental place for when you return, as some may be closed weekends. Airport rentals are usually open 24/7.

When you pick up the car, ask about individual vehicles. IME, there may be several in your price range -- lower mileage, different models, etc. If you can establish a rapport with the people, they can steer you to the nicer cars.