Menu

Looking for a book similar to the Magic of Reality

DS loves the Magic of Reality by Dawkins.  We have the book, we have the app, we have the audiobook.  :)  He goes to sleep to the audiobook most nights.  Loves it.  He has listened to it countless times at this point.

Can anyone recommend a similar book?  Bonus points if there's a good audiobook version available!

I've checked through the recs at GoodReads, and while I found some leads, I'm not sure anything is going to be quite as accessible.  

We read everything on the second link and DD loved them all. We are also enjoying the new Cosmos series! I had just decided to re-read Magic of Reality now that she is older.

DD just finished Pi in the Sky by Wendy Mass. It is more fantasy Sci-fi fiction and lighter on science than the George ones but she really liked it too.

Thanks!  I'll check out the books listed on the links.

We read, and loved, the George books.  And, of course, we love the new Cosmos series.

Has anyone read Origins by NdGT?  I looked at that one, but the reviews made me think it's not accessible for a 10 year old.  Albeit one who can recite parts of the Magic of Reality because he's memorized it!   :laugh:

If you think of more, especially non-fiction, would love to hear more ideas.

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It is worth getting the hardcover for the photos and illustrations. There is an audiobook version. Heads up that there may be one or two mature paragraphs in it so you might want to preview depending on the age of the child. There is another version called A Really Short History of Nearly Everything which is for kids, but I used the regular unabridged version below with my 10 year old.

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/0767908171/ref=la_B000APXTVM_1_2_title_2_har?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395776525&sr=1-2

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. It is worth getting the hardcover for the photos and illustrations. There is an audiobook version. Heads up that there may be one or two mature paragraphs in it so you might want to preview depending on the age of the child. There is another version called A Really Short History of Nearly Everything which is for kids, but I used the regular unabridged version below with my 10 year old.

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/0767908171/ref=la_B000APXTVM_1_2_title_2_har?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395776525&sr=1-2

I haven't read it yet, but we bought the illustrated version a while back and it looks incredible:

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Nearly-Everything-Illustrated/dp/0307885151/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395779856&sr=1-3&keywords=a+short+history+of+nearly+everything+special+illustrated+edition

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this isn't similar enough, but still interesting for kids:  An Astronauts Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield, first Canadian astronaut, who also happens to be the coolest.  

I will check it out, thanks!

An update: the Bill Bryson book has gone over very well.  :)  Listening to it via Audible.  Good choice!