Menu

House of Cards

Just Another Jen

I didn't find a thread about this show and thought I'd start one. I really wish we didn't binge watch all of season 2. It's gonna be a long time before season 3. Anyone want to talk about it?

SPOILERS---

Is Meachum gonna be the new Doug with benefits?

How do you think Rachel is going to get away?

How did Walker ever become President when he is obviously so stupid?

Ok- Your turn.

My problem is that years ago I watched the original on Masterpiece, so now I wonder if what I saw there is going to happen here. (Don't want to do a spoiler)

I was sad for Freddy. I wanted him to be successful.

I like your theory about Meechum becoming the new Doug.  I also thought there was a chance that Remy may come back into the fold.  

What about boyfriend of journalist who is in jail….and the guy with the guinea pig.  I gotta believe guinea pig guy (it's been awhile since I watched it) might access journalist girl's phone records and then…I don't know…. blackmail FU? Can you blackmail the President?

Or maybe Seth Grayson will take over for Doug...  although he seems too independent and not as desperate.

I definitely think Meachum will have an even bigger role in Season 3 but don't know what it will be.

I kept thinking during this last season, who will be the heroes?  I think in the end it will be Lucas Goodwin (the jailed boyfriend), Christina Gallagher (the old girlfriend of Peter Russo), and Rachel.  I think the three of them will somehow work together at some point to expose the Underwoods.

I felt sorry for Freddy too.

On a side note, did you know that the actor who plays President Walker and the woman who plays Catherine Durant are actually married in real life?

On a side note, did you know that the actor who plays President Walker and the woman who plays Catherine Durant are actually married in real life?

No…I had no idea.  Good trivia!

I thought Christina was totally out of the picture.  Didn't Walker's wife get rid of her?  It would be good if the three of them banded together as heroes.  Also, what about Stanford girl who is now, I think, running Claire's Non Profit? Do you think she'll show up again?

From what I remember about the original, though, there were no heroes.  Mind is a bit fuzzy, though, because it's been, what, maybe 20+ years?? :)  I highly highly recommend watching it, though.  It's on Netflix too. :)

A couple of interesting tidbits I picked up elsewhere online:

That weird cartoon character that spoke out of the iPad is from a famous art historical piece, The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronomous Bosch (the Prince of Hell down in the lower right corner). (Now you can count your watching time as educational!)

Also, did you notice that Doug died the way Underwood's great-grandfather supposedly did?

Ooh. I didn't know the original was on netflix. I am really tempted to watch it. Is it the same basic plot line? 

It's much, much, much better. (But I do somewhat enjoy the American remake.) When you watch it look for foreshadowing...

The original is so, so much better.  It's much shorter, too, so it's not like you'd be embarking on, like, 15 hours of a similar plotline!

The plot is similar and some characters even have the same name.  But I'd say that in the re-make everyone is in the same rat race.  In the original Francis Urquhart is more like a pupper master or chess master.  Just fascinating to watch, and played by an absolutely superb actor.  Also his wife isn't constantly emasculating him.  And I think everyone's just more human and interesting.

My dh & I loved the original, and watched it when originally broadcast on Masterpiece Theater. 

P&P 1995 fans may enjoy seeing "Jane" (Susanna Harker) in it.

We intend to watch the new version, but maybe we'll end up just re-watching the old one.

I absolutely cannot believe it was made in 1990.

We were fascinated by the black almost-comedy, and Ian Richardson's "breaking the fourth wall".

I'm very curious how they adapted it all in this current version.

Thanks for this thread!

Is Meachum gonna be the new Doug with benefits?

How do you think Rachel is going to get away?

How did Walker ever become President when he is obviously so stupid?

Meechum is a real company man. 

I thought President Grant on Scandal was the dumbest POTUS on TV but Walker is actually worse.

My problem is that years ago I watched the original on Masterpiece, so now I wonder if what I saw there is going to happen here. (Don't want to do a spoiler)

I was sad for Freddy. I wanted him to be successful.

I like your theory about Meechum becoming the new Doug.  I also thought there was a chance that Remy may come back into the fold.  

What about boyfriend of journalist who is in jail….and the guy with the guinea pig.  I gotta believe guinea pig guy (it's been awhile since I watched it) might access journalist girl's phone records and then…I don't know…. blackmail FU? Can you blackmail the President

I think I am the only one that didn't want Freddy to be successful.  I mean, he brought it on himself a bit - he wasn't forced into cheating, he did that one his own.  If he hadn't been all up into prostitutes I could have had more sympathy for him, though he didn't deserve his fate.  

I think I am the only one that didn't want Freddy to be successful.  I mean, he brought it on himself a bit - he wasn't forced into cheating, he did that one his own.  If he hadn't been all up into prostitutes I could have had more sympathy for him, though he didn't deserve his fate.  

I didn't think Freddy was into prostitutes. He got into trouble because he tried to rescue his grandson via helping his son who pulled a gun on somebody.  Or maybe I'm mixing things up and missed the prostitutes?  Are you thinking about Peter Russo or Doug?