Menu

Anyone have a Yorkie with what sounds like a perpertually clogged nose?

Halftime Hope

He also "snorks" and squeaks lot while sleeping, occasionally gets stopped up (like loud, upset snoring in and out, but he's fully awake) while breathing, so that he has to (loudly) clear his airway, but he rarely sneezes.  This has gotten markedly worse in the last six months, to the point that I'm thinking of taking him to the vet, except that it is intermittent.   ??

He doesn't cough at all.  It's all in the nasal passages.

TIA

What you describe could be a reverse sneeze.  Don't let the name fool you, because it really sounds nothing at all like a sneeze.  But it's very common and totally harmless.  I'm pretty sure all dogs reverse sneeze at some point or other (at least I've never had one who didn't).  Some do it more often than others.

But it could be something like a collapsing trachea, which is fairly common in toy breeds and can be a serious problem.

not frequently but my yorkie does that too, it freaked me out the first few times but now I see he mostly does it when playing with his best kitten buddy a lot, which makes me think she is shedding and he is sneezing out the hair he breathed in.  He doesn't usually do it when sleeping.  And if he gets running around too much he starts it up, which had me thinking he had asthma lol