Menu

What can I do with leftover hambone?

I just throw the ham bone in a crock pot with pinto beans and enough water to cover. Cook all day and then serve with cornbread. I do soak my beans overnight beforehand, although my mother in law claims this is unnecessary.

I just throw the ham bone in a crock pot with pinto beans and enough water to cover. Cook all day and then serve with cornbread. I do soak my beans overnight beforehand, although my mother in law claims this is unnecessary.

So what size bag of beans? Can you believe I've NEVER soaked beans in my life and I live in the south?!! {{gasp}} My experience with dry beans that are not of the canned variety is null.:lol:

I don't really have a recipe, but this is what I do. I usually rinse the beans, and if I don't have time to soak them overnight I use the quick method: I put about three times as much water as beans, bring it to a boil for a few minutes, turn off the burner, then soak them for an hour or so. Then I rinse them again, add chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper ( I confess that I use the pre-chopped frozen mixture). I also add garlic in some form and the ham bone (sausage is also good to add later). I also season it with some Tony Cachere's, which will probably make the foodies cringe but it works for me.:) Cover with water and bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Here a great and easy recipe for

SPLIT PEA SOUP

2 c. dried split peas

2 qt. water

1 ham hock

1/2 c. celery, chopped

1/2 c. carrots, chopped

1 tsp. onion, minced

1 can cream of potato soup

Season to taste

Place ingredients in large pot. Boil gently 2 hours. Remove ham hock. Chop meat from bone and return to soup. Season to taste. Add water to taste. Add can of cream of potato.