Menu

Dolciani algebra- is it possible to get an answer key?

After getting input from you all about my AoPS dilemma for next year, I have decided to carry on with it but would like to get a secondary text to work with it/ take tests and make sure we are mastering the material. I am looking at Dolciani as everyone seems to love it, but if I buy the pre-1985 version- (which is what everyone likes, yes?)- then I wouldn't seem to be able to get an answer key or tests. Is that correct? Or am I just not looking in the right places? I can't look at a hard copy of anything because I live in Asia at the moment and just have to peruse virtually and hope for the best. Thanks for your help!

Elaine

We used/ are using the Dolciani 1990s editions.

Answer Key for Dolciani's Structure and Method Book 1 (possibly for the 1994 textbook edition but I've found with the series' geometry and alg 2 books that buying text and solutions editions that are about 2-4 years apart is still workable, and hopefully it's the same for alg 1)

Answer Key for Dolciani's Algebra 2 with Trigonometry Book 2 (also 1994 edition)

As you can see the solution keys are expensive, even used. I was able to trade in the Geometry solutions from the same series for about 60%-70% less than purchase price and might do the same for Algebra 2 when son is done. I'm not sure if Amazon accepts trade-ins from overseas addresses. You might be able to sell it locally when you are done to recoup some of the cost back?

HTH!

ETA: as others have said, there are answers to odd-numbered questions in the back. I bought the solutions because my child often picks even-numbered B and C section problems. Having the key was always helpful to see if his proofs/ answers were on the right track.

The one Dolciani book we have has odd answers in the back of the book. I don't know if that would be sufficient for you; I doubt if I would pay $99 for an answer key.

We used Lial's for Alg. 1 & 2 -- they had TM's and Solutions Manuals available for a few dollars on Amazon.

They are hard to find and often expensive.  You pretty much need to troll used book websites, Amazon, eBay, etc.  There should be both a paperback Solution Key and a Teacher's Manual/Edition.  The Teacher's Manual has answers to all the problems in the back.  The Solution Key has some parts of the solution worked out in more detail plus answers for every problem. 

Don't be tricked by vendors who think the student editions with odd answers in the back are teacher's editions-they are not.  You probably don't need both a teacher's edition and a solution key.  The teacher's edition has some interesting notes and a schedule for assigning problems in the front but you could work through the book with just a Solution Key-or just a teacher's ed.  Do make sure the editions you purchase match-ie solution key for the same edition student text-there are slight to major differences between editions and years of publication.

Thanks all! That was helpful to know what I am looking for. I'm not willing to spend 99 dollars on the answer key, I'm afraid. As suggested, I guess I could just assign the odd problems since it will be a supplemental text, anyway. I will look into Lial's as well. Thanks again!

Elaine

Argh.  The search function is not behaving for me.  There was a poster (Beth?? SW Texas??) who wrote a very long post on lessons learned when shopping for old Dolciani texts.  If anyone has the link to it, perhaps that might be useful to the OP.

As others have noted, most Dolciani texts have odd answers in the back.  Personally I prefer the '60's or '70's versions but word that these books are in demand must be getting out.  I have regularly purchased copies of Dolciani texts at library book sales but they are becoming harder to find. 

ck12.org is not a piracy site. They provide their own digital Flexbooks (so, no, not the specific texts mentions by the op or pp) that can be customized by the teacher using them.

Sorry, I'm in transit over the spring and limited to my IPod and wireless. I have seen the Flexbooks you mentioned. I've also seen sites that purport to have Dolciani and many other texts and especially tms and answer keys for high school and college texts.

I didn't mean to call our the site you mentioned specifically but to suggest a general skepticism towards sites that offer something for nothing. Open source texts are one thing. "Free" copies of texts that run hundreds of dollars may be something else entirely.

Argh. The search function is not behaving for me. There was a poster (Beth?? SW Texas??) who wrote a very long post on lessons learned when shopping for old Dolciani texts. If anyone has the link to it, perhaps that might be useful to the OP.

As others have noted, most Dolciani texts have odd answers in the back. Personally I prefer the '60's or '70's versions but word that these books are in demand must be getting out. I have regularly purchased copies of Dolciani texts at library book sales but they are becoming harder to find.

I think old textbooks are often viewed as worthless and are mulched without checking to see if they are in demand.

I habitually look in thrift stores and used book shops and have been pleasantly surprised.

There was a poster (Beth?? SW Texas??) who wrote a very long post on lessons learned when shopping for old Dolciani texts.  If anyone has the link to it, perhaps that might be useful to the OP.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/37377-lessons-learned-on-the-older-dolciani-editions/

I kinda like the late 80s Algebra 1 (moreso than the more common Algebra 1 Structure and Method Book 1 of the same time period).  It starts off with set theory like the mid-70s Modern Algebra Structure and Method that I have.  It looks relatively rigorous, as in, the problems are challenging, and IIRC there are axioms and proofs (I'd need to double-check that though as I don't have the book where I am today).  I'm getting curious about the 1960s ones - I wonder what the instruction looks like...  One day I'll have to spend some time looking through what's available here: https://openlibrary.org/search?q=dolciani+algebra

Wouldn't it be great if the publisher would reissue some of these books, maybe in digital form?

I know they had the 1990's version still in their catalog quite recently. But I fear with the push toward Common Core compliance, that there isn't much chance that they will keep even the modern Dolciani editions available. And teacher manuals are so tough to get ahold of.