Menu

Favorite Workbooks for 1st grade - any subject

CadenceSophia

I am doing K at home with my son this year and he has started begging for workbooks. None of our curricula uses any at this point and I would rather find something worthwhile than just pick up cheesy ones from the grocery store. Cost isn't too much of a factor. Is there anything really great out there for 1st graders?

So far I know we will be using RightStart level B. I am not sure what exactly we will be using for language arts. We had a huge crash and burn with 100EL so I just ordered OPGTR and Spell to Write and Read which should both be here this week. I did order him ETC as well so I will see if he likes those. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Evan Moor Beginning Geography

We use Horizons as a supplement to our regular math.  It is a spiral workbook and the lessons for 1st are one page, front and back.  I choose 2-3 problems of each type on the lesson and if she gets them correct, she can skip the other problems.  It is fast and a great way to help cement facts and present math in a slightly different way.  The word problems are worded differently, there's lots of clock and calendar problems, stuff like that.

I use workbooks often. They are extremely useful if employed correctly. Here are my favorites for 1st grade.

DK Math Made Easy

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Memoria Press Copybooks (for handwriting practice)

Sadlier Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

Evan Moor Skill Sharpener Math

Evan Moor Daily Handwriting Practice

Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Evan Moor Daily Reading Comprehension grade 2 (if your child can read well)

Rod & Staff Spelling grade 2

The Complete Book of Maps and Grography grades 3-6

Are you okay with Christian content?

I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think that BJU produces WONDERFUL workbook-based curriculum for the first grade. I haven't seen any other workbooks that are as nicely done, or as fun... they really mix up the activities (coloring, cutting/pasting, comprehension questions, drawing, circling answers, etc.) in a way that makes them fun for my daughter. We are using Science 1, Heritage Studies 1, and Reading 1 this year. The Reading has readers that go with the workbook (that we love!) and the Science and Heritage Studies have very small textbooks that you read from before you do the corresponding workbook page. The Science and Heritage Studies are fairly light, but they've been good for us this year. (I do use and own the Teacher's Manuals for Reading and Science, but the are not absolutely necessary.)

We tried a Plaid Phonics workbook, it was somewhat different from other phonics workbooks and my DD really enjoyed it. I'll also second Miquon! Almost more like playing with toys than work.

ETA: We also are having fun with Hands On Thinking Skills, and CTC's Mindbenders and Analogies books.

Thanks for asking this question!  I have a soon-to-be first grader and she loves worksheets.  We have been using Scholastics Success with Kindergarten workbook.  It has phonics, handwriting, alphabet, numbers & counting.  I've been thinking of using Scholastics Success with 1st Grade workbook next year.  It has math, reading, writing, grammar and maps.  I like the idea of one workbook with a lot of subjects.  But I will definitely be looking into some of the other workbooks mentioned here.  (This workbook is in addition to other 1st grade curriculum.)

I also vote for:

MCP Plaid Phonics

Miquon

Kumon

Map, Charts, and Graphs

In addition to the Evan Moor products already mentioned, I would like to add history and literature pockets (but they are not exactly workbooks), Daily Handwriting, and Daily Science. I also want to add The Complete Book of Animals.

HTH-

Mandy