Menu

Grammar help....

smudge

I started out using FLL 1 this year. I will admit that grammar was never my favorite thing in school, and if something gets bumped it's usually FLL. :(

What other grammar options are there, maybe some kind of workbook-y/open and go kind of thing? I also do grammar with both girls at the same time so something we can all work on together is a big plus. I am a poor searcher....

Well, I can't give you any direct experience since we are using a system designed for dyslexics, but I have friends that swear that Shurley English is the way to go and I have friends that swear Easy Grammar is the way to go.  You might review those two systems.  Kris at Unsocialized Homeschoolers has a blog with a pretty good review of Easy Grammar.  You might read Cathy Duffy's reviews of grammar programs, too.  Best wishes...

R&S {you can do most of the work orally.}

GWG did not produce any retention in my older two boys who are now back to R&S. It is too easy to find the pattern and plug it in. Not enough teacher interaction or memorization.

FLL becomes a workbook in Level 3. 

Hake Grammar has a program that starts with a 4th grade book but many people use it a grade behind.

After using Daily Grams (not enough), then Shurley Engish for many years (I still like it but it's a lot of work with a teacher learning curve IMO), I finally settled on R & S several years ago as the perfect blend that teaches solid grammar, is easy to implement (just turn to the next lesson and no prep!), and has sufficient practice (orally and in the workbook).  Even more, it's inexpensive and the hardbacks can be re-used with multiple children or sold.  

Having said that, I have an informal approach to grammar until 2nd grade (pointing out punctuation in reading, capitalization rules in writing, orally talking about and acting our parts of speech, etc.). 

Lisa