Menu

Cat people - need help for our old, sick cat!

texasmama

In November we adopted a shelter cat, Lily, and she has been wonderful.  We were told she is about 8 years old, but she had several owners prior to us so that is the best information the shelter had.  She was shy at first but soon grew comfortable with us.  She sleeps with my son in his room (which also has her food, water and litter) and spends the day upstairs in my dh's office curled up in a chair.  She is friendly and sweet.

Day before yesterday, we noticed she was hiding under the bed and behind dh's desk upstairs, not in her usual places.  She went pee in the box yesterday, and we cleaned it so we could watch closely.  She has not gone pee or poop since.  Two days ago, when I gave her the canned food she usually likes, she turned up her nose at it.  Same with another can yesterday.  This morning, there was no pee or poop in her box so I opened a can of salmon.  She licked the juice from it and ate a little bit.

Also, she has become very fearful and paranoid.  She runs from us and hides and won't come out.  This is not normal for her.  She usually comes and sits on our laps.  When I go upstairs to dh's office during the day, she always came out meowing to greet me if she was asleep behind the desk.  She will not come out for anything now.  When I was offering her the salmon in a bowl, I made a slight movement with my arm and she shot off like a gun and ran under a bed. 

We have a vet appointment for this afternoon (soonest we could get one).  I'm worried about our girl.  We have only had her a short time, but we love her.  She is our only furry pet, and my son is very attached to her.

I know kidney failure is common with cats and that they can go downhill fast.  I fear that is what it is.  I don't understand why she acts so afraid of us.  Any thoughts?

Kidney failure is common, but so are a lot of other things.  And kidney failure can sometimes be treated.

Cats' instincts tell them to hide when they're ill or injured.  That may be what you're seeing instead of fear.

At this point I would be most concerned about dehydration.  If you have a dropper or syringe (w/o the needle attached) you can squirt a bit of water in her cheek pocket.  But if your appointment is early afternoon it may not be worth it to stress her with that.  The vet can easily give her some sub-q fluids.  And cats are a bit weird.  Sometimes if they stop drinking and eating for some relatively minor reason it's a bit of a job to get them started eating and drinking again, even when they feel better.  Sometimes just getting rehydrated with some sub-q fluids can take care of that.

I hope it's something simple and easily fixed.

The vet can also give her medication to stimulate her appetite if there isn't any detectable reason she's not eating. So, sub-q fluids & appetite stimulant might be in order. If she has an upset tummy, pepcid might be in the mix as well, but they usually only do that if there is vomiting. 

Well, her bloodwork and UA were normal.  She has inflammation in her mouth.  She got the fluids, an appetite pill, an antibiotic shot and a pain shot.  I got the shock of my life when I saw the bill.  But all of her labs were normal with very tiny and insignificant spikes.  So that is good.  We will let her rest a bit and then I will offer some canned food later.  Also, she peed all over me after they cath'ed her.  Ewwwww.  I was glad to see her pee, though.  She was somewhat dehydrated.

I hope she feels better soon.  Did the vet make a guess at what caused the mouth inflammation?

He called it something, which I don't recall.  He said that sometimes cats have this due to a latent virus and it appears at times.  He didn't think it was really significant, but he said that he has seen cats have issues with eating due to mild problems while cats with a much worse looking mouth had no issues eating.  She seems to be moving about a bit more.  Poor thing - it was traumatic.