Menu

I don't think I can do this any more.

I am almost ready to go sign my kids up for school.

I have the car today, and it would be so easy.

I could just drive down the street and sign a bunch of forms and voila!

I am sick to death of bickering, fighting, arguing, people who are unwilling to control their voices and either scream or just say mean things when things don't go their way.

I really think that I'm ready for them to be someone else's problem for 6 hours a day.

On the other hand I am doing lesson plans, copying pages, searching for timeline figures, reformatting documents, waiting for my Circa to ship, baking bread, processing peaches for freezing, getting ready to go to swim lessons, needing to leave for the CSA, trying to plan a girl's night out with a couple of friends, etc.

But mostly I am just sick to death of all of the annoying little habits that my kids have. I am sick to death of talking it through, walking through the steps, handing out consequences and/or trying to inspire people to take the high road.

Why don't they want to be nice?

Why don't they want to treat one another the way they'd like to be treated?

Why do they enjoy bickering and whining and complaining??

Okay, I'll stop now. Thanks for listening to my rant.

I am really at my wit's end.

Sorry anj! I'm having the same problems with my kidlets here as well. They're making me crazy with all their nit-picking, tattle-telling, and bad attitude towards each other. It does get old and very tiresome to work through every single problem of the day diligently and as a good mom should. Today I just had to sit and watch my ds9 pitch a fit over math. I just sat there....watching...because I knew that anything that came out of my mouth would definitely not be good. A wise man has few words...that's what my dh always tells me. As hard as it is, and as much as I may not feel like it, I try to thank God with every opportunity I have to direct and discipline my dc. I know that He himself has appointed only me to do that for Him so it makes it a little easier to handle. I hope you day goes better. As for my dc, they each earned 15 minutes off their bed time with each problem that they choose to instigate so now they are all getting in bed! I know, I'm a terrible mom...making my kids go to bed when it's still daylight! Yippee! Woohoo!

*singing* Mama said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this my mama said.... :o)

MY mother worked full-time and sent us to public school. We lived with relatives that provided nanny service. She never warned me that there'd be days like this. She never had days like this!

I hope you have a few good days in a row, anj, to remind you of why you do this.

How about, "To every thing . . . turn turn turn . . . there is a season . . . turn turn turn . . . "

I know how you feel, anj. My hubby is still 2 weeks from returning home. He'll be lucky if I haven't sold his kids AND dog (ESPECIALLY THE DOG!!) to the gypsies by the time he gets back. :glare:

On that note, does anyone have any experience with those collars that spray citronella when a dog barks? Since hubby has been gone my dog has been barking. all. night. long.

Guest Dulcimeramy

:grouphug:

:bigear: Have we finally shattered the myth of the serene and unflappable homeschool mom? If so, that's quite a gift to the newbies, IMO.

Keepin' it real,

Amy

As hard as it is, and as much as I may not feel like it, I try to thank God with every opportunity I have to direct and discipline my dc. I know that He himself has appointed only me to do that for Him so it makes it a little easier to handle. I hope you day goes better. As for my dc, they each earned 15 minutes off their bed time with each problem that they choose to instigate so now they are all getting in bed! I know, I'm a terrible mom...making my kids go to bed when it's still daylight! Yippee! Woohoo!

So true. And I'm loving the part in bold above. Stephanie, I'll be sure NOT to tell the dc that I learned that trick from you. That is about to enter Mom's Lexicon of Discipline!

I know how you feel, anj. My hubby is still 2 weeks from returning home. He'll be lucky if I haven't sold his kids AND dog (ESPECIALLY THE DOG!!) to the gypsies by the time he gets back. :glare:

On that note, does anyone have any experience with those collars that spray citronella when a dog barks? Since hubby has been gone my dog has been barking. all. night. long.

Arrrrgggghhhhh....

You do understand that feeling of despair, don't you?

My hat goes off to you for not selling them all off by now. Maybe we both should line up some gypsy contacts just in case! ;)

:grouphug:

:bigear: Have we finally shattered the myth of the serene and unflappable homeschool mom? If so, that's quite a gift to the newbies, IMO.

Keepin' it real,

Amy

Oh my, yes. Keepin' it real, indeed. You don't have to spend much time with me in real life to understand pretty quickly that I'm totally real. I couldn't hide my shortcomings if I wanted to. So welcome to the world of (controlled) chaos and flappability, newbies! :D

OH,

If I had a dollar for every time my 3 year old made my 12 year old whine or cry....

I'd have enough money to buy ANY new school books i wanted!

All and all the kids have their issues but I KNOW they love each other. When i grew up there was a 10 year age gap. I came 10 years after my 3 brothers. I had no one to bicker with but I think i missed out on those relationships. I can see how my kids have their moments but there are FAR many hugs than tears between them.

ever notice how they can work your last never when you're trying to work with them. Then when they go out, people compliment them like there's no tomorrow? I am so pleased and feel like I'm doing something right but then when we get back home eeeesh, the 'good kid' mask comes off. :lol:

Hope you feel a little less overwhelmed soon.

For what it is worth, a few years back I read something that helped me a great deal. It should have been intuitive but somehow wasn't for me.

I was so sick and tired of having to repeat the same things over and over, argue about the same things over and over. I could not understand WHY they didn't just "get it". Do I really need to say make you bed every single day???

My expectations for my children can not be the same as my goals for them.

Wow! That was groundbreaking for me. My goal is that someday, after who knows how many thousands of reminders, they will make their bed without being told. My expectation is that I will still be reminding them for some time until it becomes automatic.

It may be simplistic, but that really did help me wrap my head around a few issues.

Hang in there Anj. :grouphug: