Menu

Is Biology necessary?

That depends on the college, but generally, yes. Not having some form of biology would be detrimental to a college bound student. However, you'll want to check the specific requirements of any college you think your child might consider. In my experience, most colleges require a biological science credit, even for liberal arts majors.

Officially, no. There are quite a few schools who require 2 sciences, but don't specify. That being said, I'd be leery of skipping on of the big 3 sciences (bio, chem, and physics). A senior I know discovered too late that some schools he was interested in required physics. I'd assume the same issue might come up with biology. It's an unpleasant surprise in the middle of senior year.

My daughter was one who did not take the sacred trio of Bio/Chem/Physics. Instead she followed this progression during high school --

9th: Physical Science

10th: Chemistry (Lab)

11th: G 101: Earth's Dynamic Interior (Lab)
11th: G 102 Earth's Dynamic Surface (Lab)
11th: G 146: Rocks and Minerals (Lab)

12th: ENVS 181: Terrestrial Science (Lab)

We allowed her to study the sciences that interested her at the community college in 11th and 12th grades (namely Geology and Environmental Science) rather than mandating that she study the more traditional Biology.  She went on to major in Latin and minor in Geology at the four year college she subsequently attended.

There are some colleges which do require the 'standard' three sciences -- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. However, not all colleges do.

My daughter applied to ten colleges of varying selectivity.  She was accepted by eight and wait-listed at a ninth.  (The one college which did not accept her was an Ivy League college.)  Not having Biology did not seem to have much of an impact in her case.

Regards,

Kareni

I've found a standard core list of requirements for all the state universities in Georgia. I've checked those requirements for 4 colleges and they all have the same thing. They require one lab course from life sciences, some specifically state Biology, and one lab course from physical sciences. The other two sciences are up to the student and do not need a lab component. I agree with the others who suggested you look at admissions requirements for the colleges you're considering.

I've been doing most of the college research for my son, and all the schools I've looked at for him, all say they want 2-3 sciences, with one being biology. But I'm sure there is no definitive answer. My suggestion would be to go the college websites that your dc may be interested in attending and see what are the requirements.

Is this for your ds13 who is doing alg. 2 and physical science this year?  Nothing says he has to go in the typical order.  Because he's a strong student, he might like to do say chemistry next year, physics after that, then go back and do an AP bio.  It's technically possible to go straight into AP with a strong student.  I'm just thinking that would solve your problem if it's an issue of timing and it not being what he wants to do right now.   :)

Or consider doing a really non-standard course, like reading issues in current biology and doing a ton of labs and field investigations with one larger personal project.