Menu

Singapore 1A and Making Tens

Hi all! I am getting very nervous about our upcoming chapter in Singapore. DD6 has done well to this point. We use c-rods with the majority of our math work. We also use HOD's hands on activities from Beyond. I was looking through the next section and I think it might be a leap for my daughter. She thinks very much like I do and I see it being a hurdle. It's mainly how Singapore wants you to visualize it. I was seriously about ready to order new math curriculum but decided to come here for help first.

First, I am ordering the HIG for 1A. I have it for 1B but was trying to go it alone for 1A. I think I want it now.

So do we push through and go ahead or maybe go to Miquon for a bit to work on facts some? Does she need all her facts to 10 down before working on this chapter. She can see it when we use c-rods. She can almost always tell what she needs to pull out. We just doesn't know them off the top of her head yet.

Or do I jump ship and run away scared...;) Singapore is so different but I love how they make you think through the problems. Someone talk me down from ordering new math curriculum! I already have 1B!

If you are where I think you are, it's helpful to have all the facts that equal 10 memorized. Cuisinare rods are great for that. Give her a 10 rod and then one of each of the others and have her make them all 10. It sounds like she can already do that so just have her then say what she is doing "a two and an eight make 10".

I also put up a "rainbow" with the red 1 connected to 9, orange 2 connected to 8, yellow 3 to 7 and so on. We played card games like go fish to make 10s ect.

It's probably the biggest "leap" in understanding in the entire 1a/1b year but its not that bad. You will be fine.

Have you watched the videos at "Education Unboxed"  I watch them for my own education to help me be a better math facilitator. I think they are fantastic. My younger son likes to watch them sometimes because he likes seeing the kids doing math, but I don't use them as instructional for him, per se.

There are so many fun games to learn to make 10s. The schools that use SM really spend a long time on this, or at least my district does. We played a whole lot of a game where you use playing card (number cards only with aces being 1) and you make 10. For every pair you make that is 10 you get to put them to the side and pick more cards. The one who has the most pairs wins. Or something like that.  It has been a couple years.

Get white boards and draw pictures etc. Keep saying 'get to 10, honey!" and high five when she does. Do a '10 dance'! With first graders you can never do too many dances to celebrate getting an answer right. I have so many silly dances in my repertoire.

We play a game that is inspired by things I learned on Education Unboxed, but slightly different.  I call it Ten to Ten-Ten, and you need an abacus for each player, C-rods, and a deck of 0-10 cards or regular cards with the face cards pulled out is fine.

Start by having child build a c-rod staircase up to 10, then the reverse staircase so they have made a bunch of combos that equal ten.  I hope that makes sense!  The final "picture" will be a 10x10 square showing all the tens facts. 

First player turns a card, let's say it's an 8.  They get the number of points needed to add to 8 to make 10, so they get 2 points. 

Next player turns a card, gets a 3.  So they get 7 points.  Children refer to the staircase picture if they can't remember their making 10 combos. 

On the next turn, first player gets a 1.  They get 9 points.  But oh no!  There are only 8 beads on the first row of the abacus left!  So they must partition 9 as 1 and 8, using c-rods if necessary. 

And so on.  I have my child report our scores from time to time, using the Right Start language.  That is, 35 is 3-tens 5. 

Winner is the first to get to 10-ten (100). 

This game really solidifies the making tens, as well as partitioning of other numbers, as well as the base 10 idea. 

Then we go on to adding two numbers that "make ten" plus some more.  8+5.  Well, we know 8 needs 2 to be 10, so let's give it two.  (Everybody wants to be ten!) then how many more are there?  3.  So, 1-ten 3 is the anser. 

The video for this on Education Unboxed is so cute.  The little rods walk around saying "I wanna be 10!"  Then other helpful rods come along and offer to cut themselves into pieces in order to help.  lol.  I love that website.  :-)  My son put up with this "storyline" for exactly one lesson before telling me to knock it off.  My dd on the other hand, would probably let me teach her math all the way through calculus using voices and anthropomorphizing of rods... 

Chapter 2 of US edition is about Number Bonds. The HIG suggests that this unit be approached deliberately and not rushed. It advises not leaving the unit behind until the student knows "most" of the number bonds for 1-10 -- but don't hang out so long you bore the student. So for me and my kiddo, I opted to put the workbook away for a while after we did the clown number bond pages, and instead we just talked about "making 10" a lot during our day, and played with Cuisenaire rods a lot, and watched Education Unboxed. When she started spontaneously telling me that if she had 8 pennies she needed 2 more to get a 10 cent candy, or if I flashed 4 fingers at her she could tell me she needed 2 more to 6, and built lots of trains with rods (including a big square of trains to build 10), then I judged us ready to move on. It probably took a few weeks, but we don't school daily by any means.

The HIG would be cheaper than a whole new curriculum, amirite?

Which chapter and are you using the standards or US edition?

We are using the US edition. I will have to double check which chapter number. It is about halfway through the book though.

If you are where I think you are, it's helpful to have all the facts that equal 10 memorized. Cuisinare rods are great for that. Give her a 10 rod and then one of each of the others and have her make them all 10. It sounds like she can already do that so just have her then say what she is doing "a two and an eight make 10".

I also put up a "rainbow" with the red 1 connected to 9, orange 2 connected to 8, yellow 3 to 7 and so on. We played card games like go fish to make 10s ect.

It's probably the biggest "leap" in understanding in the entire 1a/1b year but its not that bad. You will be fine.

I think we will try the first bit and then maybe take a break to play some games. She is technically only in K still, so we have plenty of time to play. Who knows? She may get it with no issue. This is definitely a mommy issue. ;)

When we got to making 10s we had to pause and just play a whole bunch of games. Math blaster app was fun. Also we played a memory game with UNO cards (just the numbers) where matches had to make 10. Keep practicing, and keep the cuisinaire rods out if that helps. Eventually she'll know them without realizing it and you can move on in the math book.

I'm confused as to why you would "jump ship" and invest in a completely different curriculum because you think that your child thinks like you and may have a problem with it. I haven't done it without the HIG, but I was equally apprehensive about the whole thing. My son caught on much faster than I did. Give it a try and don't worry about it until you have an actual problem.