Menu

prek memorizing country puzzles by shapes...what next?

momsuz123

So our little pre ker has memorized all the Geo puzzles just based on the shape of the states/countries. He is also a whiz on the ipad game Stack the States and Stack the Countries, just because he has memorized the shapes of everything. I am not stating this to "brag", but to ask, what next? Knowing he is doing this, and every single day he begs to do more, where else would you go with him? I don't want to just keep buying more puzzles, we would go broke with his love.

He is big into building, too. He will build beautiful symmetrical, intricate buildings, and then bomb them with his angry birds stuffed animals.

Also, when playing Stack the States/Countries, he has memorized the questions and just chooses the right answer, not because he can read, but he must have memorized certain letters/words or something. We are wondering if we should get out the BOB books for him and go from there.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Let me edit this add that I am not trying to "brag" (I saw that thread). My middle child is a SN child with dyslexia, and who knows what else (still working it out). I did not homeschool my dd until 1st and 2nd grade, so the younger years are new to me. I just have learned with all my kids, that all kids have strengths and weaknesses. I feel it is my job to capitalize on those strengths and go from there. Thanks again.

Had a long reply that got erased :(   My oldest 2 started learning phonics at 3.5 per their requests.  Oldest turned 5 in December and is almost done Phonics Pathways.  We used that book and the Bob Books.   Memorizing puzzles might not mean he's ready to read so don't be too worried if you introduce it and he has no interest.  

To build on the puzzle aspect without buying more puzzles you can draw patterns that he has to duplicate with his blocks or legos.  The patterns can be colored to match specific lego colors so he has to get size, color, and position correct.  The game Make'n'Break junior is also great for puzzle lovers.

Had a long reply that got erased :(   My oldest 2 started learning phonics at 3.5 per their requests.  Oldest turned 5 in December and is almost done Phonics Pathways.  We used that book and the Bob Books.   Memorizing puzzles might not mean he's ready to read so don't be too worried if you introduce it and he has no interest.  

To build on the puzzle aspect without buying more puzzles you can draw patterns that he has to duplicate with his blocks or legos.  The patterns can be colored to match specific lego colors so he has to get size, color, and position correct.  The game Make'n'Break junior is also great for puzzle lovers.

Great ideas, thanks. Yes, I was holding off on the reading, because although he loves being read to, I don't want to push it. We just try to instill a love of learning in our house, which is why I try and jump on strengths early. I was thinking the strong love of puzzles and building, goes more with a mathy kid.

So our little pre ker has memorized all the Geo puzzles just based on the shape of the states/countries. He is also a whiz on the ipad game Stack the States and Stack the Countries, just because he has memorized the shapes of everything. I am not stating this to "brag", but to ask, what next? Knowing he is doing this, and every single day he begs to do more, where else would you go with him? I don't want to just keep buying more puzzles, we would go broke with his love.

He is big into building, too. He will build beautiful symmetrical, intricate buildings, and then bomb them with his angry birds stuffed animals.

Also, when playing Stack the States/Countries, he has memorized the questions and just chooses the right answer, not because he can read, but he must have memorized certain letters/words or something. We are wondering if we should get out the BOB books for him and go from there.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Let me edit this add that I am not trying to "brag" (I saw that thread). My middle child is a SN child with dyslexia, and who knows what else (still working it out). I did not homeschool my dd until 1st and 2nd grade, so the younger years are new to me. I just have learned with all my kids, that all kids have strengths and weaknesses. I feel it is my job to capitalize on those strengths and go from there. Thanks again.

I have a little one just like this when it comes to geography. All of the geopuzzles just came naturally after mastering Stack the Countries/States. I am assuming you are saying he answers the questions AND places them all in the correct spots on the Map It portion o the game. If not, that is the next challenge.

But yes, it is amazing how they memorize the shape, and SOOO much better than adults do. Their brains at that age are just perfectly designed for it.

A few things we did after that to further her love of geography. There are lots of apps, books, and Montessori puzzles to learn things like country/state flags, capitals, landmarks, major waterways. We started a postcard/cultural box with friends from other countries, which my dd still loves to this day. We also got her a subscription to Little Passports for the same reason.

Also, I made her a little 'passport' of her own. We spun the globe and she decided upon a country to 'visit' then I got books from the library, found art, a few relevant facts on culture, etc.. Then I would stamp her passport for her. We also did food sampling!

As far as the reading, there is no reason why you shouldn't try something like BOB books. Obviously don't push it, but it doesn't sound you would anyway. Have you tried something like the Leapfrog videos?

It also sounds like he might enjoy some light, fun math! This is far and above my dd''s favorite along with science. I started her with activities from a book called Marshmallow math when she was very young, which is really nothing more than ways of incorporating fun math games into everyday life. Then RS-A or Miquon. I am not sure how old your son is, but there are so many fun things to do Mathy for little ones:)

ETA: I also purchased Visualize World Geography, which is pretty high priced for what it is...but works wonders for kids at a young age memorizing by shape. We have only played with it for now to keep her interest piqued, but it is silly enough that she loves it. I actually think it might be a bit TOO silly and out there for much older kids!

I have a little one just like this when it comes to geography. All of the geopuzzles just came naturally after mastering Stack the Countries/States. I am assuming you are saying he answers the questions AND places them all in the correct spots on the Map It portion o the game. If not, that is the next challenge.

But yes, it is amazing how they memorize the shape, and SOOO much better than adults do. Their brains at that age are just perfectly designed for it.

A few things we did after that to further her love of geography. There are lots of apps, books, and Montessori puzzles to learn things like country/state flags, capitals, landmarks, major waterways. We started a postcard/cultural box with friends from other countries, which my dd still loves to this day. We also got her a subscription to Little Passports for the same reason.

Also, I made her a little 'passport' of her own. We spun the globe and she decided upon a country to 'visit' then I got books from the library, found art, a few relevant facts on culture, etc.. Then I would stamp her passport for her. We also did food sampling!

As far as the reading, there is no reason why you shouldn't try something like BOB books. Obviously don't push it, but it doesn't sound you would anyway. Have you tried something like the Leapfrog videos?

It also sounds like he might enjoy some light, fun math! This is far and above my dd''s favorite along with science. I started her with activities from a book called Marshmallow math when she was very young, which is really nothing more than ways of incorporating fun math games into everyday life. Then RS-A or Miquon. I am not sure how old your son is, but there are so many fun things to do Mathy for little ones:)

ETA: I also purchased Visualize World Geography, which is pretty high priced for what it is...but works wonders for kids at a young age memorizing by shape. We have only played with it for now to keep her interest piqued, but it is silly enough that she loves it. I actually think it might be a bit TOO silly and out there for much older kids!

Yes, he knows the states/countries by shape, but can ace the Map It portion on the app, for better than me, that's for sure. Thanks for the ideas.

I took the love of puzzles into activities with pattern blocks, tangrams, and other math manipulatives. I know his interest in geography but he might enjoy those things too. There are lots of puzzles availiable at garage sales frequently.

Ok, we really aren't computer addicts here, honest!!  But we have had some good experiences with certain sites so I thought I'd share!

SheppardSoftware.com - especially since your DS enjoys geography games - learn capitals of states and countries, bodies of water, landforms, etc.

Starfall -  Embarrassing to admit it, but my 4 yr old really has learned to read on here... without me! :huh:   I've now started going through AAR with her just to make sure there aren't any gaps, but I think she honestly doesn't need it and is just humoring me, LOL!

Dinosaur Chess, and later Chesskid.com - it is *amazing* how much chess strategy a preK'er can learn (especially by watching the instructional videos on ChessKid)!  (Could also do No Stress Chess if you want to play also; DH and I couldn't keep up with DS and DD's growing enthusiasm for chess, which is why we let them start with the computer.)

Read geography picture books, such as Scrambled States of America. Search for Montessori continent boxes. I'll try to link later. This is an activity we do. Also look at the website Montessori print shop to find various kinder appropriate geography a activities.

My oldest was a geography whiz when he was 4 before there were apps to play.It's still a favorite of his. Just go with it. Don't feel as though you're bragging. Some children find something they love and they learn it, beyond our adult ideas of grade level.

My 6year old knows a ton about prehistory and evolution. He has a passion for it. That's not bragging. He's just a kid intensely interested in something. He can't name all the states or place them on maps correctly like my oldest could at 4. And that's okay.

Just follow their lead when they're young. Give what they seem to be asking for even if it seems advanced. Most parents have had young children be really competent in some areas, almost beyond what is usually expected for their age.

Kids maps apps are good. But might not offer him any challenge.

If you want to continue in geography I would start teaching him major mountain ranges, rivers and other geographic land marks.

All the country flags, capitals. And maybe even hello in the national language.

I don't know if you are the same person that I responded to a while back about their child liking puzzles but my son was doing the same...the geo puzzles at age 3.  If you are not that person then I will say:  we got him place mats of the presidents and he memorized them all and we would quiz him on the other side that was blank from names.  He began to get into mazes from http://krazydad.com/mazes/ .  I know this has nothing to do with a "puzzle" but if your child is the same as mine this was fun and challenging for him.  We would time him at his request to see how long it took him to finish.  

Now that he can write ( age 7) he likes to categorize things and write lists of anything that interests him.  I think intensity is more the key.  Puzzles are probably just one outlet that he has discovered.  My son at age 4-5 got onto a snake kick for nearly a year and began to memorize every possible snake and even their latin names. 

Kids like this are very fun but it can feel kind of like you're looking for the next thing to feed them mentally.