Menu

Question about Orthodox Christianity

Katy

This is meant to be a completely respectful question for those of you who are or who used to be Orthodox Christians.  I lead a small group that is working through a book called Christianity's Family Tree by Adam Hamilton.  It's a book that talks about different denominations, how they came to be, and what we can learn from each of them that could have a positive impact on our own faith.  None of us knew anything about Orthodoxy before, and found the differences re the Holy Spirit and original sin quite fascinating.

A person in my small group asked if Orthodox Christians were evangelical, and because she is a recent immigrant I am pretty sure she meant more in the do they seek to convert others to their faith sense rather than the are they part of the conservative evangelical christian voting block in America sense.  I spent about 20 minutes googling unsuccessfully before I realized that there are quite a few Orthodox Christians right here that I could ask.

So...  If you're Orthodox...  Does your church actively encourage evangelism and conversion?

Thanks!

The answer is we are Evangelical at our roots (look at the early church), but currently in America you are less likely to find it.   The main reason is because most EO churches were founded by immigrants who came/come from countries where either everyone is already Orthodox (think Greece) or they have been or are currently being heavily persecuted (think Middle East).  They come to America and just want to worship without making waves in the community.  Immigrants don't want to look weird or stand out.  EO is quite different in so many ways.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, that's somewhat of a prevailing mindset within American Orthodoxy.  Not all parishes are like this...but most/many are.  It's hard to break that attitude when it's been ingrained from your childhood (if you're the child of immigrants). 

Most often we found ourselves in dialogs with Western Christians because those are the people looking for something more than what they've found in their American Christian experience (this was the case for me).  Also, EO emphasise acts of mercy/kindness... so there's often more emphasis in doing loving things towards your neighbor without pasting a "come to Jesus" message to it... does that make sense?   Of course, we look at "salvation" quite differently - so our evangelical actions won't look the same as someone who goes door to door, for example.  We just wouldn't do that.

I hope this is helpful....

American evangelicals (and fundamentalists) have this view of evangelism that typically include several factors:

1) every needs to be saved NOW

2) being saved means a one time event where you get them to see their sin, they repent, whala, they are now Christians, job done (other than getting them to church...maybe baptism).

3) guilt factor: if YOU don't tell them or try to save them and they die tomorrow, YOU are accountable due to omission. YOU could have saved them (by offering them a/the way of being saved).

Orthodox:

1) we don't see salvation as an event that happens at one particular moment. It started on the cross, our entire lives are a journey that is part of the process, and nothing is finalized till judgement. We are good with this.

2) we trust God with time and people's hearts. We don't save them or get them saved. We don't have the guilt association with who we've told or not told. We are very much about living it. One monastic said something along the lines of the fact that he doesn't tell them about Jesus; he lives it. WHEN and IF they ask, THEN he tells them. I can tell you it isn't shared in a "if you don't do, believe this, then you are going to hell" fire insurance scare tactic. It's shared simply as the Gospel. What Christ did. What we believe as Christians. They want it or they don't. No scaring a person into it.

I say all this having come from an evangelical and fundamentalist background. Door knocking, Evangelism Explosion, AWANAs and Patch the Pirate, church bus ministries, bribing kids to bring friends to church, bang the bible over the head of all your friends (or you aren't a real friend), etc

Momaduck, I am an evangelical Christian who believes and practices every single one of your points.  What you describe as "evangelical" might be what comes across in mainstream denominationalism esp. in their programs, as you've mentioned (none of which I am part of) but I don't think it would be part of any formal doctrinal statement.  Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this, but just wanted to point that distinction out.  

No, I'm aware that it's not part of any formal doctrinal statement. It is how it's presented within many denominations and churches (Reformed seem to be an exemption from a lot of this, I'll admit). It's mostly my experience with Baptists, Pentacostals, and Non-Denominationals (from having been in those churches).

There are missionary organizations in Orthodoxy, yes.  

However the flavor of Orthodoxy that I grew up with emphasized that the Church speaks for itself. That is people are naturally drawn to the EOC because of it's depth and beauty (and, Orhthodox Christians would say, because it's the truth). As individuals, we're encouraged to "live the life of the Church", meaning improve ourselves first, because people are also naturally drawn to someone who is at peace.  But if we're arrogant or judgmental, we're much less likely to attract people because that is not the nature and commandment of Christ.  I agree with mommaduck that this is partly due to a difference in the belief system.  We can't "save" anyone, we can only do our best and put our hope in Jesus Christ.

A few more thoughts --

Evangelism in Orthodoxy will more often than not be a "come to church" thing rather than an "accept Jesus into your heart" thing.  Salvation is found in the communal life of the church, not personally/individually within one's own life/heart.  One can't be saved apart from the Church.  We need her life breathing into us -- we need her sacraments, her liturgy, her saints, her prayers, her calendar, her fellow parishioners, etc. 

I really appreciated PrincessMommy's description of the situation in America.  That helped me understand a lot.  I do think if you get to an area where the churches tend to be convert churches more than ethnic churches, you might see a little more visible talking about and sharing of the faith.  We're in an area/parish like this.  While we don't go out door knocking, I think our members are pretty open to talking about their faith with others should the subject come up. 

St. Seraphim of Sarov said, "Acquire peace and thousands around you will be saved."  Evangelism in Orthodoxy begins with our own repentance and peace.  We have to pursue communion with God first, and through that others will be brought to His church as well.

A final thought --

My grandmother died three years ago at 99 years old.  She had been a humanist most of her life.  When I was an evangelical protestant, I tried to "get her saved."  I tried to get her to pray a prayer and give her heart/life to God.  If I were still evangelical protestant, I would feel like she died "lost" because she never did do that.  BUT, I became Orthodox and now I trust the love of God.  In the last eight years of her life, she went from not believing in God to believing there might be a God to telling me she prayed sometimes to in the end (last time I saw her) telling me she loved God and wanted to go to heaven.  She still never "accepted Christ" in the protestant understanding of that, but God knows. What I know is that she was on a journey, and that journey brought her closer and closer to God over the course of her life, and that God is merciful.  I can leave it at that and trust Him.  I am much more hopeful for her soul in Orthodoxy than I was in protestantism.