Menu

I'm reading 5th grade curr. post with interest but can we talk goals?

I have an up-and-coming 5th grader so I'm looking at curriculum choices, etc. but I'd really talk about goals. For elementary we focused on learning to read, a bit of writing (moving from copywork to dictation and basic narrations - now working on summarizing), basic math, etc. along with all the other stuff.

Now, looking at 5th grade and on it's time for some new goals. So what goals did you have for middle school. Or what do you wish you had done/would do differently?

Here's my few preliminary thoughts... fostering greater independence, focusing on writing skills, shoring up/solidifying math skills.

What else?

My main goal is developing writing skills. I'd also like him to start thinking about literature a bit more. Some of this we've already started working on now in 4th. And his independence has already taken off naturally this year. But if it hadn't, I'd be working on that too. I can't believe that this little 1st grader that needed me to sit at his side for every single thing, reading the directions to him (despite his ability to easily read the directions himself) is now asking what he needs to do next, then getting it done. It's crazy. I've even seen him starting to do time management a bit better (another skill I'd recommend developing at this age). For example, he was doing his Bible lesson on Saturday night and Tuesday night, so it would be ready for Sunday and Wednesday, respectively. Well, this past Saturday night, we were out late and he didn't get home until well past his bed time, and then he still needed to do his Bible lesson (wouldn't listen to me when I said it was ok THIS time to do it in the morning - he'd have time). He also is out a little late on Tuesday nights now. So I suggested maybe he should pick a different night to do his lessons. He then thought for a minute and announced that he'd start doing his lessons on Sunday night and Thursday night. The Sunday night is the lesson for Wednesday, and the Thursday night is the lesson for Sunday. He goes to bed only a little past his normal bedtime on Sundays, and Thursdays he usually doesn't have anything going on, so normal bedtime. I was really impressed that he discovered a solution to his problem on his own, and it was an excellent solution!

We're still working on time management of things he isn't interested in doing at all... But hey, he's still 9. :D

Our tentative goals are:

-Fostering independence (setting goals, working from a checklist, meeting deadlines)

-Learning how to learn (outlining, learning how to study, helping her figure out how she masters material best)

-Exploring topics at a deeper level (more Socratic discussions & literary analysis)

-Polishing writing (working on both structure & style)

-Exploring passions in more depth

My main goal is developing writing skills. I'd also like him to start thinking about literature a bit more. Some of this we've already started working on now in 4th. And his independence has already taken off naturally this year. But if it hadn't, I'd be working on that too. I can't believe that this little 1st grader that needed me to sit at his side for every single thing, reading the directions to him (despite his ability to easily read the directions himself) is now asking what he needs to do next, then getting it done. 

We're still working on time management of things he isn't interested in doing at all... But hey, he's still 9. :D

Kudos to him for finding a solution - that's awesome!

I'm starting to see that independence now too. Our schedule seems to be shifting - we get all our 'together subjects' done and then she has 'homework' time. Reading instructions on the other hand.... still working on that. I think they must be invisible on her assignments because she just doesn't see them! ;)

Our tentative goals are:

-Fostering independence (setting goals, working from a checklist, meeting deadlines)

-Learning how to learn (outlining, learning how to study, helping her figure out how she masters material best)

-Exploring topics at a deeper level (more Socratic discussions & literary analysis)

-Polishing writing (working on both structure & style)

-Exploring passions in more depth

Thank you for sharing, it really helps to see what others are working at. Writing & discussion seem to be biggies.

The Well-Prepared Student MP3 (how to prepare for highschool) from SWB was very inspirational to me.

Totally forgot about that! I do have it - guess I should listen to it! I've loved all the PHP audios.

Scheduling himself and handling independence is something my son has always been good at. At this point we are working on the idea of outside interactions. He needs to be able to communicate his schedule with the family and create a cohesive plan with the other people in his sphere of influence. Secondly, middle school is portfolio and transcript time around here. We need to have it wired tight by high school, so we are practicing now to get the kinks worked out. Here is our list for 5th and 6th grades.

Personally deciding to do undesirable things in small amounts (15-20 min a day) rather than putting them off till the last minute crisis time.

Setting up and managing his own meetings with mentors (me included along with his outside mentors)

Learning strategies for struggling through rather than avoiding (both scholastic and emotionally)

Developing his own system of paperwork and documentation so it is out of my hands other than "prettying it up" for a critical adult audience.

My current 5th grader has enjoyed having his own planner.  I list out everything he needs to accomplish for the week, and he decides what day he does it.  I did request daily Math for 30 minutes and to please not leave all LA stuff for the last day, but otherwise he is free to do what he wants each day.  He actually balances things out pretty well.

My main goal is for my dd to build thinking stamina. She is very good with tasks that require short burst of focus: math computation, foreign language translation, grammar exercises.... But she doesn't do as well with tasks that require longer periods of thought: writing assignments, multi-step word problems, lit analysis questions, etc. She is able to do these things if I walk her through or discuss with her Socratically but on her own she gives up. So over the next couple years I hope to do some scaffolding that ends with her feeling more confident in tackling these things on her own.

My current 5th grader has enjoyed having his own planner.  I list out everything he needs to accomplish for the week, and he decides what day he does it.  I did request daily Math for 30 minutes and to please not leave all LA stuff for the last day, but otherwise he is free to do what he wants each day.  He actually balances things out pretty well.

Good way to teach independence! I'm not sure my daughter will be ready for that level of independence but she might surprise me yet (and 5th grade doesn't start til September).

My main goal is for my dd to build thinking stamina. She is very good with tasks that require short burst of focus: math computation, foreign language translation, grammar exercises.... But she doesn't do as well with tasks that require longer periods of thought: writing assignments, multi-step word problems, lit analysis questions, etc. She is able to do these things if I walk her through or discuss with her Socratically but on her own she gives up. So over the next couple years I hope to do some scaffolding that ends with her feeling more confident in tackling these things on her own.

Oh yes, we'll need to work on this too - my daughter sounds very similar to yours in this case. 

This has been very helpful!

We're headed into 5th next year.

My goals are to stay focused on writing and just keep honing those skills.  I don't have specific goals so much as I want them to keep working on developing voice and strong sentences and expressing good ideas.  I think by the end of middle school, we'll definitely have tried out some of the basic forms of essays, but that's not going to be my focus.

For math, I really just want them to get through algebra I in the middle school years.  That gives us plenty of time to really finish elementary math and really spend time on concepts in algebra.  If we get to geometry or beyond algebra, that's great, but I'm not counting on it.  I'd rather take our time.  I think one of my ds will be ready for pre-algebra in 6th definitely, so I think we're on track.

I also want to focus on following interests and really seeing ideas and projects through from start to finish.  We're going to be less focused on specific content and more focused on doing projects and following rabbit trails.

I'm following this  ... thought I'd throw out this thread: "High School Parents -- looking back what would be your ideal for 7th/8th Grade".  I've got it bookmarked as being helpful for middle-school goal planning. 

Thank you for linking that! I don't head to the High School board much (thinking about logic stage is enough at this point!).

We're headed into 5th next year.

My goals are to stay focused on writing and just keep honing those skills.  I don't have specific goals so much as I want them to keep working on developing voice and strong sentences and expressing good ideas.  I think by the end of middle school, we'll definitely have tried out some of the basic forms of essays, but that's not going to be my focus.

For math, I really just want them to get through algebra I in the middle school years.  That gives us plenty of time to really finish elementary math and really spend time on concepts in algebra.  If we get to geometry or beyond algebra, that's great, but I'm not counting on it.  I'd rather take our time.  I think one of my ds will be ready for pre-algebra in 6th definitely, so I think we're on track.

I also want to focus on following interests and really seeing ideas and projects through from start to finish.  We're going to be less focused on specific content and more focused on doing projects and following rabbit trails.

I like the idea of exploring interests and rabbit trails. I've been thinking of that with history. We're doing ancients again in 5th and I'm thinking about just providing the basic frame work and letting dd take the reins about topics/subjects. Lots to think about.

I'm really playing it by ear, working steadily and trying to keep ds adequately challenged without overwhelming him.

In writing it seems next year we will be working on/towards multi-paragraph papers/reports. I'm hoping that we can finally get typing down this summer so he can write more himself, as it is now he needs me to scribe if it is too long. I'm also building his stamina in handwriting but his mind is still way faster than his hand. I'm excited to continue working with him to give him the skills (grammar and writing) needed to get his ideas to paper and develop his own voice. 

We are working on upping fluency in Math and looking at finishing up elementary math within 1-2 years. I think it will be by the end of next year but I just don't know. 

No specific content goals, exploring and building. 

Continue to read lots and have discussions. 

Continue scaffolding him slowly towards independence and building his organization skills.

for ds10 my goals for him are still what you had an elementary goals, which isn't surprising since much of what he is doing next year in 5th is actually 3rd grade level.  However, I also have some goals for him that are thanks to having been through this with the older kids and seeing where I want some changes. 

One such goal will be encouraging and expecting more independent work.  Now with the teens a big part of that was the curriculum I chose, but a large part was due to habits/attitudes that are still being worked on, I am hoping to have that nipped with ds10 before it gets out of control like oldest. 

ANother goal is for myself more than him, I am not going to worry with him through the logic years about a particular method, formula, or curriculum.  We are going to keep focusing on the skill subjects diligently and we are going to have fun with the content ones still in the logic years.  I worried so much through the older kids logic years about how they would do in high school and missed out on a lot of fun we could have had, I worried about where they were behind to the detriment of the vision I had and in the end they are doing just fine in high school and rising to the occasion.  I have no doubt that if I focus on habit and skill subjects and just have fun with the rest he will have a better standing begingin high school, and rise to the occasion just as they have done.

I have a rising 5th grader, and I am beginning to see a small glimmer of independence. One thing that has helped me this year actually even *think* about her independence is to actually write on our assignment board her "with mom" lessons on one block and her independent lessons in another. For sine reason actually seeing them grouped like that helped me realize that she's doing a good bit on her own.

I'm really benefiting a lot from the discussion. Keep talking. :-)

I have a rising 5th grader, and I am beginning to see a small glimmer of independence. One thing that has helped me this year actually even *think* about her independence is to actually write on our assignment board her "with mom" lessons on one block and her independent lessons in another. For sine reason actually seeing them grouped like that helped me realize that she's doing a good bit on her own.

I like this idea of grouping the assignments that way! My son is visual, not so much me. This might really help him "get it" rather than the repetition of Nagging Mom (the persona I take on when something is being explained, once again, for the eighty-thousandth time).

Our goals for my current 5th grader

1. Writing. We are really polishing up narrating, we started outlining, and writing stronger sentences. Also doing some more creative writing just for fun (Bravewriter style).

2. Organization/using planner/self direction.

3. Started literary discussions, nothing too deep.

4. How to do research. I'm not having him write research papers, but research a topic and do an oral presentation or prepare a poster/power point. This has turned out to be fun for him, it's purely interest led.

We also just started trying this and it was really successful. I should do it more.

The other thing that has worked is if I leave the house and leave them independent work. If I'm here, they want to rely on me, but if I go run errands, when I come back, they're finished and playing and have usually done a pretty good job.

5th grade: really gettting the kids solid on their mental math- do they have the the times/division tables memorized, along with squares? Do they have solid mental math capability - fact families, addition and subtraction. Have they done any deductive reasoning like Perplexors or Critical Thinking Skills books?

I'd also want them to have a clear history timeline in their head- memorize VP or CC history cards, but have a solid overview of what fits in where - at least generally. My kids still listen to SOTW for fun and added in HOTMW this spring. They spend hours listening, reading and talking history. To me, that is time very well spent.

The mechanics of writing, if they aren't solid- spelling, grammar, diagramming- writing is important but if they don't have the mechanics it will hold them up and frustrate them.

Lit- continue with read-alouds, independent reading, books on tape and memorizing poetry- that will give them a leg up when it comes to upper level writing.

Dd11 watched Super Star Student with ds 14 and loved it. She is naturally organized so this spoke to her inner chart lover.

I think independence is a great goal to work towards, but really, one of the benefits of homeschooling is the ability to spend time together, learning together- don't forfeit BEING together for indepence- kwim? At this age they are still your little- but not for long.

5th grade: really gettting the kids solid on their mental math- do they have the the times/division tables memorized, along with squares? Do they have solid mental math capability - fact families, addition and subtraction. Have they done any deductive reasoning like Perplexors or Critical Thinking Skills books?

I'd also want them to have a clear history timeline in their head- memorize VP or CC history cards, but have a solid overview of what fits in where - at least generally. My kids still listen to SOTW for fun and added in HOTMW this spring. They spend hours listening, reading and talking history. To me, that is time very well spent.

The mechanics of writing, if they aren't solid- spelling, grammar, diagramming- writing is important but if they don't have the mechanics it will hold them up and frustrate them.

Lit- continue with read-alouds, independent reading, books on tape and memorizing poetry- that will give them a leg up when it comes to upper level writing.

Dd11 watched Super Star Student with ds 14 and loved it. She is naturally organized so this spoke to her inner chart lover.

I think independence is a great goal to work towards, but really, one of the benefits of homeschooling is the ability to spend time together, learning together- don't forfeit BEING together for indepence- kwim? At this age they are still your little- but not for long.

Thanks, Lisa, for your words of wisdom!