Menu

History sentences not from CC

KeriJ

I plan on incorporating Ellen McHenry's songs next year for our run again through the Ancients: http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/music/index.php  I would like to see a sharing web site set-up where people could contribute videos clips and resources for aiding with memory work. I would love to sit down and brainstorm and try my hand at some jingles/chants for history and science too. My son seems to respond really well to the chanting in Latin for Children, and I've heard Chris Perrin mention how underutilized chanting is in classical ed. Unfortunately, my 5th pregnancy is sucking out my brain and extra energy right now. Part of me wonders how *important* it is to memorize sentences though. I guess the balance in my mind would be to pick the really important things to memorize - the most bang for your buck. I have been wondering what they do in classical schools across the country for history and science memory work. Unfortunately, we don't have a classical school anywhere close to where I live. Personally, I like about 50% of CC's history sentences, and the other 50% I have trouble understanding or making much sense out of (too wordy, make giant leaps in history within the same sentence) even though we're finishing up Moderns now. I am just trusting they've corrected or edited the ones I dislike since the 2nd edition Foundations guide and memory work CD I own. I think this is a worthy project, and this isn't the first time I've thought about it. The web site could include resources that have already been made (links to where to purchase), provide links to helpful YouTube videos, list user-provided content by dates/timeperiods, etc., provide helpful tips and videos for people looking to implement memory work gently with success. Oh...for the time...

I plan on incorporating Ellen McHenry's songs next year for our run again through the Ancients: http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/music/index.php  I would like to see a sharing web site set-up where people could contribute videos clips and resources for aiding with memory work. I would love to sit down and brainstorm and try my hand at some jingles/chants for history and science too. My son seems to respond really well to the chanting in Latin for Children, and I've heard Chris Perrin mention how underutilized chanting is in classical ed. Unfortunately, my 5th pregnancy is sucking out my brain and extra energy right now. Part of me wonders how *important* it is to memorize sentences though. I guess the balance in my mind would be to pick the really important things to memorize - the most bang for your buck. I have been wondering what they do in classical schools across the country for history and science memory work. Unfortunately, we don't have a classical school anywhere close to where I live. Personally, I like about 50% of CC's history sentences, and the other 50% I have trouble understanding or making much sense out of (too wordy, make giant leaps in history within the same sentence) even though we're finishing up Moderns now. I am just trusting they've corrected or edited the ones I dislike since the 2nd edition Foundations guide and memory work CD I own. I think this is a worthy project, and this isn't the first time I've thought about it. The web site could include resources that have already been made (links to where to purchase), provide links to helpful YouTube videos, list user-provided content by dates/timeperiods, etc., provide helpful tips and videos for people looking to implement memory work gently with success. Oh...for the time...

I agree with pretty much all of your post.  I own the CC memory work CD's.  We really like the history songs.  They are fun and painless to learn.  But I just don't love the content or the organization of them.  I never understood the combination of sentences they chose for each cycle.  

So in keeping with some of the ideas from the "relaxed homeschool" threads, where we plan to keep history simple and primarily read without using a ton of output, I like the idea of adding the timeline song and some history songs to keep some facts sticking in their minds.  I just don't love CC's sentences.  

I considered making my own, and having a music degree, I probably could add the tunes, but after my 5th pregnancy (2 years ago) I never got my brain and energy back. :)