Menu

Latin suggestions (3rd grade)

mamamindy

I am looking ahead to starting 3rd grade soon with ODD.   A couple of questions:

1) Latin curriculum suggestions for an 8yo.  Thanks. :)

2) Is Latin something that can be combined?  A little?   If so, should I wait until ODD is closer to 4th so that DD2 can join her?  They are not on the same skill level, but so, so close.

Thanks for any advice.  This is new territory for us!

I have Minimus Mouse but haven't started it yet so I can't go into that one too much.  My daughter is finishing up Song School Latin 2 first.

But I also plan on utilizing Visual Latin as a supplement, when the time comes, because I personally find the instructor entertaining and I think my girls would get a kick out of it.  You can check out 6 free video lessons here

I don't have a good answer for you as I have not used anything, but I am also looking for something for this age. I have Latin for Children Primer A and when I looked at it recently I was fairly certain it was going to be too much for my DS next year (also 3rd grade next year). Plus I really wanted to cover it with both my sons (2nd and 3rd grade next year). So I am looking at doing Song School Latin. I have heard it works well to transition into the other programs. Like you my kids just finished FLL2 and I don't plan on starting FLL3 until next fall.

There are some excerpt pages from the kids' workbook and teacher's book here. I like that it comes with videos too. To date we have not done any video curriculum but as I have no background in Latin, I will take all the help I can get!

http://classicalacademicpress.com/song-school-latin-book-1-program/

Visual Latin was a great one to ease into with my son.  There are free translation/worksheet like things online so you do not have to purchase the videos.  I don't think they went hardcore on the grammar, but I could be wrong as my son was strong in grammar when we started Latin. 

I think there might be a demo or a couple free videos on YouTube for you to check it out.  We didn't purchase, just used the worksheets.

They are Bible passages however.  If this bothers you, you might not want to use them.  My son knew the bible stories and that really helped him remember the words.  It was a strong foundation to build off of because it stuck in his memory.

Now we use Jenney's Latin, but it is a highly grammatical approach.

happyWImom, what is the age range for Song School? I couldn't find anything on their website. 

It's for grades 1-3, which is why my kiddos are way on the older side, but they get a kick out of it, and are learning the vocabulary.

I like it because I bring the cd with & we review it all of the time in the car.  The individual lessons are very short.  You can also get it on Amazon & used for a good price, so you wouldn't have to invest a lot.  I'm very impressed with the looks of the next level, Latin for Children.  

They are super helpful at Classical Academic Press, so call them if you have any questions.

My 8 and 9 year olds just completed Lively Latin 1, after completing Minimus 1 the year before. Here's the thing: totally different approaches. The kids enjoyed Minimus MUCH more, but they learned more and gained a solid foundation with Lively Latin. So we're going back to Minimus Secondus and seeing what we can glean from there.