Menu

I wish I had a rich uncle

Susan in TN

When I read any article on budgeting or diet I always wish I had a huge Starbucks habit. If I was only spending $10 a day and consuming 1,000 calories on frappuccinos think how easy it would be to make that one little change and see big results.

Nice for the folks with the rich uncle. Glad he's generous and spending his money on something important.

I'm with you!  It sure would be nice...

Or, going with Jen's idea, if we could win one of the mega lottos there's an awful lot of colleges that could be financed.  They say that most lottery winners use all their $$ within 5 years.  I know we'd be in that category between various educational needs, medical needs, and travel (and NOT using it all for ourselves).  There are plenty of needs I'd want to see "fixed" even with travel for some of the students who literally never get to go anywhere due to finances in their families.  The senior class trip could be truly memorable...  A Hive get together would be fun too.

The local ps where I work has a 4 million dollar deficit (again) this coming year and will need to make more serious cuts.  That wouldn't need to happen.

College scholarships would be a no-brainer.  (Hive kids would be welcome too as you're part of my larger "school" family.)

I'd best stop.  I've almost convinced myself to actually buy tickets...

Oh, and to keep marital peace, hubby would have to be allowed to buy himself a nice sailboat...

Winning the lottery sounds good. I am always amazed to read that people blow through incredible amounts of money in a (relatively) short period of time. Unless they give it all away, what do they do with it all? I could see upgrading to a deluxe hotel room, but I wouldn't need a gold-plated toilet and the penthouse view. I also wouldn't need a 10 car garage to house 10 fancy cars. I would still be 'me' and the 'me' now is happy with the simple things in life~~ nice things, but simple. Like I said... 'upgrades', but not 'extravagant'.

I would have so much fun giving money away.... funding college, starting scholarships, helping those who are trying to better themselves, but just can't get traction, etc. Oh my.

Like Barbara, I'm glad the rich uncle is using his money for such good, rather than giving the kids expensive sports cars on a 16th birthday. :hurray:

But if you know the money will be there, could you not finance everything with loans and then pay them off when the estate is settled?

It could be years, with a 50/50 probability that I could end up with nothing.  Thus say my three lawyers and two CPAs who also told me not to spend anything more on it for now.  Scads of legal and financials lessons there.

Dh does have a rich uncle . . . CEO of an international company, 6,000 square foot home with an elevator, luxury condo in another city, beach house, etc.

Our kids received candy canes from the dollar store for Christmas . . . So I'm definitely not counting on the rich uncle for college tuition ;)