Menu

Field trip opinion

Indian summer

It depends on the ages of the kids, as well as whether or not they are emotionally able to handle seeing people who are very ill.

Realistically, I would be surprised if the tour included patient floors anyway, for health reasons. Many cancer patients are severely immunocompromised and I think it would be a terrible and risky idea to troop a bunch of kids through the hallways just so they could see what the oncology wing of the hospital looks like.

Additionally, patients at oncology centers are ill. Unless the group leaders are absolutely convinced that the kids on the tour will be quiet and respectful, they shouldn't schedule the field trip.

What is the purpose of the tour? Quite frankly, unless the kids were of high school age and interested in medicine, it doesn't sound like the most cheerful or fun trip.

I wouldn't mind for my older ones. They are 10 and 11. I wouldn't want my 7 year old to go. We have had families members that my kids were close to die from cancer. We took them, including my youngest, to the hospice center my husband's grandfather was at for his last days. They did fine.

I would want it to be optional and not punitive in any way if people decided to opt out because their kids could not handle it emotionally, so I wouldn't be thrilled with a public elementary going. Any age homeschool group I would be fine with and would most likely (schedule allowing) bring my kids.

Realistically, I would be surprised if the tour included patient floors anyway, for health reasons. Many cancer patients are severely immunocompromised and I think it would be a terrible and risky idea to troop a bunch of kids through the hallways just so they could see what the oncology wing of the hospital looks like.

This.