Menu

Fun ways to practice spelling words?

rachelpants

hangman.  this is how I taught my son the words 1 through 10 (he doesn't do spelling yet, this was for math.)  I gave him the list of words 1 through 10 then played hangman with him trying to figure out one of the words.  So he could see it had 3 letters so focused on seeing if it was 'one' 'two' 'six' or 'ten.'  I did this for the first 2 days.  The next few days he didn't have the list in front of him.  He really enjoyed it and I'll do it for him when we start his spelling program.

Spell words with letter tiles (like from Scrabble or Pears N Pears or Banana Grams).  They can try to cross words like a crossword puzzle.

Spell their words on a handheld mirror with a wipe off marker.

Spell words on the sidewalk with chalk (not the best time of year for this right now).

Draw their words.  Junior Batgirl loves it when she gets to "embellish" words from her spelling list with her imagination.  So, if the word is friend she'll draw two stick people next to each other by the word.  This might require a time limit for each word.

Have a container of wet sand or salt and they can spell their words with a stick.

If you have a mat with big letters (like a Body Boggle mat) they can hop to each letter.

Use Alpha Bits to spell words.

I tell DD13 to write a story, at least 1/2 a page that uses all the words.  It can get pretty silly. lol  The ones I consider challenge words I have her use more than once in the story.  At her age I don't have a formal list but I write down all misspelled words in a week (after having her stop and correct, then write 5 times on that page) and on Friday she takes that list and makes her story.

Lots of fun ways:)

My kiddo has been doing ASL since she was a baby (she is hearing, no real ties to Deaf community) and loves to finger spell her spelling words, often as quickly as she can. I also think the tactile motions really help her learn. She says she can just 'see' them. She usually finishes with the actual sign if she knows it or wants to look it up.

Do your kids type with qwerty? Is it hard? LOL...I'm just imagining my DS trying to figure it out. funny.

They do! We introduced keyboards fairly early (3-ish with some preschool computer games) and it was slow going at first, but just like anything else their speed & accuracy continues to improve with practice. We don't use anything specifically for typing, but they're picking it up pretty well from other computer games & activities.

They do! We introduced keyboards fairly early (3-ish with some preschool computer games) and it was slow going at first, but just like anything else their speed & accuracy continues to improve with oractice. We don't use anything specifically for typing, but they're picking it up pretty well from other compiter games & activities.

Wow...that's awesome! I looked at a demo for a typing program for DS yesterday...now I'm inspired :) Thanks!