Menu

Freshman class average GPA / ACT scores correlation?

Susan in TN

I was reading the stats of a university's freshman class which said they had an average high school GPA of 3.74 and ACT score of 24.  In my mind, those two statistics just don't seem to fit together.

The reason I am curious is that for one university ds applied to, the admissions counselor made a point to emphasize that an unaccredited homeschool GPA is expected to correlate to their ACT / SAT test scores. 

There has been massive grade inflation in a lot of high schools. The reported GPA is often a weighted GPA. With a weighted GPA it might be that the stronger students have GPAs of 4.5 or more. Did the college list what percent of students were in the top 10%, top 25%, or top 50% of their high school class? That can be a more meaningful statistic.

Because many schools view homeschool GPAs as not particularly meaningful, it is very common for admissions to put more weight on test scores for homeschoolers.

My local school district just posted their Honor Roll list in the newspaper. I don't know the exact number of students per grade, but extrapolating from wikipedia data on enrollment, each grade has between 115-140 students with the grade enrollment tending toward one of these extremes. The recent report of Honor Roll 90-94.9% and Distinguished Honors 95%+ was 6th grade- 70 students, 7th grade- 55 students, and 8th grade- 70 students. The high school honor roll looked similar. So, we're tallking about 50% of the whole grade making Honor Roll or better.

And to add another anecdote- a young woman from the BEST school district in our area had a university visit. She stated that she had a 95%, but when her class rank was requested, she wasn't even in the top quartile. 25% of her graduating class were at or above 95%.

Universities are beginning to discount high school grades and my local school district has been point blank asked to raise their standards to reflect achievement. Obviously, it hasn't (or won't) take hold.

I think any admissions office that's trying to compare bricks and mortar school grades to homeschool grades needs a dose of reality. An A with my kids is truly excellent work. We can't say the same if they were at the local school and moving forward, I'm going to start crossing off colleges that aren't extremely homeschool friendly.

I was reading the stats of a university's freshman class which said they had an average high school GPA of 3.74 and ACT score of 24.  In my mind, those two statistics just don't seem to fit together.

The reason I am curious is that for one university ds applied to, the admissions counselor made a point to emphasize that an unaccredited homeschool GPA is expected to correlate to their ACT / SAT test scores. 

This would be common at the high school where I work... our average SAT falls a little below 1500 (potential college attendees only).

The majority of our classes are REALLY dumbed down.  When the material isn't tough, it's not difficult to get good grades.  Few kids study.

Our average GPA (unweighted) is likely a little lower than 3.74 because one needs a 95 or 96% to get an A.  An A- starts at either 92 or 93.  If we went with the traditional 90% I suspect our GPA would match.

To get admitted to more selective colleges from our school, one needs to have an ACT/SAT score in the mid to higher range of the school.  GPA is only an issue if it is low - then colleges really wonder, WHY?  TBH, it's usually because the lad or lass is downright BORED and doesn't play well with teachers expecting "stuff."  (Test scores can be good, but tons of homework points get taken off.)  Colleges then have to wonder whether the student will play nicely with profs...  It's a difficult call for them and hasn't worked well for many since the VT shooting. (He was another high tester with a low GPA.)

An ACT score of 24 is the 74th percentile. 

Does anyone know if the states that use the ACT for statewide testing get counted in the stats? 

If not, then one needs to remember this 74th percentile is generally among college bound students.  At our school those knowing they are heading to community college from the get go - or trade schools - or no college - do not take the ACT or SAT.  It's a significant number of students (over half of our graduating class NOT taking either test).  Those thinking of 4 year schools or debating between cc and 4 year schools are the only ones who take it.

Our area uses the SAT over the ACT. About 70 per year take the SAT, which works out to be about 10-15% of all high school students here in any given year. But, again, you have over half a grade making 90%+ (A) every quarter. Doesn't add up. Grade inflation is a bane on our education system.