Menu

Is there some independent, advanced grammar workbook out there?

truebluexf

DD1 needs grammar work, but it can't be babyish, we don't need 5 days a week, and should really be independent.  I may have FLL4 somewhere in these moving boxes, but that doesn't fix the problem of it having so. much. handholding.  Any ideas? GWG was boring and easy. I know I've asked in the past, but maybe something new has come around.

Jump right in! :)

I forgot about CLE.  It's super intensive though!!  I'm not sure it will be so easy to start in 4th grade? Hmmmm.  I could cross half of it out though, I suppose.  It's a great program but it just about broke my children when we tried a unit a couple years ago lol. I suppose it's cheap enough that I could toss a lot of it and not feel too terrible!!  I'd be willing to wait with her until AG or something, she's a fast learner, but she will also have a complete panic attack come testing time if she doesn't know "enough." She's a perfectionist.

It has quotes, and instructions in it, and phrases to remember to fill in.  If you look at the samples, you will see.  You could cross those bits out if you wanted.  

It's a lot of writing in 4th grade, she might kill me lol.  Though I could get the 3rd grade one maybe since it's much lighter in actual handwriting.  It might be a good way to work her into the program for future follow through.  Hmmmmmmmmm. (She's only 9, and a grade ahead, so it wouldn't be such a bad thing or have her technically "behind.")

Have you looked at IEW Fix-it? It is editing practice and grammar review. I takes about 15 minutes, four times per week. I like it not only for the grammar review but also for the dictionary practice, a little extra vocabulary, and the cursive practice (when ds copies the passage into his notebook). It is independent except that I grade it each day and supervise corrections.

Hm.  I'm thinking going majorly up levels (like 9th grade for my 12 year old) and not caring if it takes him 2 years independently.  We have done a lot of grammar (FLL 1 - 4, MCT 1-3 and now on 4, Hake grade 6, and a few other random things).  I'm just kinda sick of grammar.  I don't know if we should just finish up MCT 4 and stop grammar.

I like the Writer's Inc. "Skillsbook" and "Daily Language". http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=7&category=1528

Huh.  Why didn't I realize that was only 11 weeks before?  Also I was under the impression JAG was a lot of back and forth? Do I need the teacher book if I use the video (thinking I can probably manage to correct grammar, I rarely use the answer keys for anything.)

I got AG for my 6th grader, and he was SO not ready.  (It was too detail-oriented for his level of concentration...ADHD and stuff.) They could seriously both do JAG and be in good shape. And after having a year with a lot of time off bc we moved, something that would get all this done so succinctly would be perfect.

JAG is 11 weeks then there's JAG Mechanics and it's 15 weeks. I think they created it for folks that wanted grammar earlier than middle school. Either way, you only do 3 days of exercises that have about 5-6 sentences each then here's a "play with words" simple fun activity then the test. My only complaint is that there isn't ENOUGH practice. I'd like to see at least 10 sentences per exercise. It is mastery based and I'm happy with the product.

Thanks.  That is short, but at this point, with it being February and needing something to get things going, I think it fits the bill. Honestly, I'm *only* concerned right now bc we have to do yearly testing, and I don't want them to feel like they don't know stuff. Grammar is one of those things that you can skip a year and catch right back up the next, IMO. And at least we could still complete the whole grammar unit before the end of the year, easily, and maybe add mechanics after that if we want.  It's too bad she didn't make a practice book for JAG like AG for the kids who do JAG early.

Thanks. That is short, but at this point, with it being February and needing something to get things going, I think it fits the bill. Honestly, I'm *only* concerned right now bc we have to do yearly testing, and I don't want them to feel like they don't know stuff. Grammar is one of those things that you can skip a year and catch right back up the next, IMO. And at least we could still complete the whole grammar unit before the end of the year, easily, and maybe add mechanics after that if we want. It's too bad she didn't make a practice book for JAG like AG for the kids who do JAG early.

Do you mean reinforcement after the 11 weeks are over? If so, I think the Mechanics book could be done six months or a year after JAG and serve as reinforcement quite easily. For instance, the kids have to mark what parts of speech a comma is splitting in in the first Unit; it was a great way to see whether my child could parse a sentence! In fact, we're dragging the 15 "week" program out for about 12 months, by only picking it up sporadically (on weeks CC isn't in session). Her ability to jump in and remember what is being taught is proof that the learning is deep and long-lasting. I think you could make it work well for your kids' needs/your priorities.