Menu

ADD

Lots of creativity, like WAY more than the normal amount.

Everything else seems pretty normal in our house and is just a matter of opinion.  Well the low processing speed you can see, grant that, but then not everyone who gets an ADHD label is going to have low processing speed.  The DSM is totally stupid.

My DD cannot concentrate enough to read a page and remember what it was about.  She couldn't sit and do a math page in less than an hour because she was off in her own little world.  When she was in school her grades suffered because the second little Johnny across the room shifted in his chair, she was done.  She can't pull herself back on task if she is off of her meds.  This means today is going to be a fun day as she has some tummy gurgling and I didn't let her take her meds this morning.

Ds is 17 now, but...  what did it look like.  I vividly remember one day when he was about 8 or 9 yo.  

We have a nice little classroom with IKEA desks lining the walls in a u-shape.  For some insane reason, I had decided to get chairs that would swivel so the kids (I also have a dd) could turn to me when needed or to look at the computer screen. I was reading some school-related material to ds and he started fiddling with one of those Pink Pearl erasers.  (He always needed something in his hands).  Then he started to swivel in his chair.

Usually, I would stop reading at that point, ask him to sit still in the chair, and focus on me.  That day I decided to just let him keep going and see where it took him.  I kept reading while he dug a paper clip into the eraser, then a whole sting of paper clips like a barrel of monkeys' chain. Then he started to attach rubber bands.  By then, he was upside down in the chair with his feet over the back of the chair and his head hanging just a few inches from the floor as he continued to spin.

When I got through with the reading, I asked him to stop, sit up, and answer some questions.  I asked him in-depth questions about the reading and he answered every question in perfect detail.  He had absorbed everything I had said much better than if I had made him focus on sitting still.

It was a learning experience for me.

- Ds moves a lot, seems not to have the ability to sit down, like to eat he'll be up 10 times before I even realize- trying to climb the wall like spiderman or something

-when working he is always going off on these entirely unrelated tangents and has to be redirected repeatedly

-I redirect a LOT, I stay right there to keep him focused because otherwise he cannot stay on task

- low working memory- cannot keep things in his head

-learns really well while moving- although it takes more concentration for me!

-ds needs very little sleep

-does not notice details very well with people and relationships and also school work, he doesn't slow down and pay close enough attention to catch things- 

Leslie, that was SO funny!  Thanks for making my morning!!  :D

Oh, and dd did have a swivel chair.  Wasn't a problem with her.  Ds on the other hand I'm not sure I can teach without straps if I want him seated.  He pretty much jumps or moves and learns stuff.  For some things I give him a toy to play with while we do the tasks (working memory, word retrieval worksheets, etc.).  

Well after I say dd was so still, I guess there are just things you think are normal.  I let her run around the yard while I read her the read alouds.  Someone was commenting to me in retrospect that she never sat when you read her picture books but would stand beside the chair.  It seems so normal/reasonable/obvious in the moment, it doesn't strike you as odd, kwim?  Ds will sit for tv for quiet time, but beyond that he usually goes and plays, builds, or does something else.  Even if you leave him down for quiet time with tv on, he'll usually get his army soldiers or super structs or something to do.  But when you're there watching it, it's all kinda normal, kwim?  But it was a happy day when he was finally willing to sit and watch Mr. Rogers, lol.  

We don't have an official dx, but I'll add hyperverbal to what everyone else has said. So, not just moving a lot but talking a lot. It drives dh batty.

Also, with one of mine, she asks a question, hears the answer, and and then says "what?" Not necessarily because she didn't understand the answer but that she forgot what question she herself asked. Also, asking the same question again and again because your answer didn't register (for a girl who does not have CAPD).

Coming back to reality with a shake of the head or some other physical sign of registering what's going on around them.

-when working he is always going off on these entirely unrelated tangents and has to be redirected repeatedly

-I redirect a LOT, I stay right there to keep him focused because otherwise he cannot stay on task

These are biggies for us, too. 

Because of these, work takes longer than it should.

It seems so normal/reasonable/obvious in the moment, it doesn't strike you as odd, kwim?  Ds will sit for tv for quiet time, but beyond that he usually goes and plays, builds, or does something else.  Even if you leave him down for quiet time with tv on, he'll usually get his army soldiers or super structs or something to do.  But when you're there watching it, it's all kinda normal, kwim?  But it was a happy day when he was finally willing to sit and watch Mr. Rogers, lol.  

I know having my daughters really changed my perspective with ds. I was so used to his constant movement and distraction  and then dd came along and the difference was so striking that it blew my mind. I hadn't even realized how hard we worked because it was our normal. Even the NP commented on how much ds moved around while testing and she tests kids for a living, I found that very eye-opening. You always hear other hs moms talk about their kids being distractable so it was easy for me to dismiss but there is definitely a range here. My daughter even has some distractibility but she is so sedate compared to ds.

I know having my daughters really changed my perspective with ds. I was so used to his constant movement and distraction  and then dd came along and the difference was so striking that it blew my mind. I hadn't even realized how hard we worked because it was our normal. Even the NP commented on how much ds moved around while testing and she tests kids for a living, I found that very eye-opening. You always hear other hs moms talk about their kids being distractable so it was easy for me to dismiss but there is definitely a range here. My daughter even has some distractibility but she is so sedate compared to ds.

I hate to admit it, but we quietly referred to dd2 as "space blob" because she was so quiet and still. We were shocked when other people commented on her high activity levels. We were so influenced in our thinking by how hyper dd1 was.

Here's some for impulsivity.

You go shopping and you get ten texts in two minutes because you didn't reply immediately.

Child calls friend to play but friend doesn't answer the phone, so child calls again and again and again and you already start to feel the humiliation of friend's mom seeing your number come up a billion times on caller ID.

Ds is 17 now, but...  what did it look like.  I vividly remember one day when he was about 8 or 9 yo.  

We have a nice little classroom with IKEA desks lining the walls in a u-shape.  For some insane reason, I had decided to get chairs that would swivel so the kids (I also have a dd) could turn to me when needed or to look at the computer screen. I was reading some school-related material to ds and he started fiddling with one of those Pink Pearl erasers.  (He always needed something in his hands).  Then he started to swivel in his chair.

Usually, I would stop reading at that point, ask him to sit still in the chair, and focus on me.  That day I decided to just let him keep going and see where it took him.  I kept reading while he dug a paper clip into the eraser, then a whole sting of paper clips like a barrel of monkeys' chain. Then he started to attach rubber bands.  By then, he was upside down in the chair with his feet over the back of the chair and his head hanging just a few inches from the floor as he continued to spin.

When I got through with the reading, I asked him to stop, sit up, and answer some questions.  I asked him in-depth questions about the reading and he answered every question in perfect detail.  He had absorbed everything I had said much better than if I had made him focus on sitting still.

It was a learning experience for me.

Love the story!  Yes!  I get this...

The kids at my house are not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD (never have been evaluated by a neuropsych) but neither has ever been able to retain much information when they are forced to sit still and "concentrate".  What they end up "concentrating" on is sitting still, not actually what is being read or watched or whatever.  DD swings a lot in the swing outside while we talk over things or I read things to her, etc.  DS bounces on the trampoline or practices karate, etc.  Both will sit and build with play dough or paint or build with Legos or put together a puzzle or something else to keep their hands and bodies occupied so the mind can focus on what I am trying to teach them. Drives DH nuts and it took a bit for me to realize this was necessary for learning in our household, but it really, really is.

We don't have an official dx, but I'll add hyperverbal to what everyone else has said. So, not just moving a lot but talking a lot. It drives dh batty.

Also, with one of mine, she asks a question, hears the answer, and and then says "what?" Not necessarily because she didn't understand the answer but that she forgot what question she herself asked. Also, asking the same question again and again because your answer didn't register (for a girl who does not have CAPD).

Coming back to reality with a shake of the head or some other physical sign of registering what's going on around them.

Hyperverbal...THAT is a great term.  DS is so verbal.  He started talking full, complex, understandable sentences at 18 months.  Parents in his 3k program would tell me how much they appreciated DS because the minute they arrived at the door to pick up their child, DS would greet them and give them a rundown of all of their child's ups and downs for the day.  Since a lot of the 3 year olds were not talking a tremendous amount yet, they really loved getting the details.  

If you don't distract DS with something, he can carry on a conversation with no input from anyone else, just sort of stream of consciousness, for over an hour (I know because it has happened).  He makes tons of connections and it is really fascinating to discuss things with him, but while you may feel that the conversation has exhausted itself within 10 minutes, he will go on and on and on and on...it can be a bit exhausting.  Geodob (poster on this board for those unfamiliar with the name) suggested it is because he has no inner voice so he has to discuss everything out loud to think things over.  Makes sense to me.

Tiramisu, I wonder if we put our kids together how long they could talk without running out of things to say?  :)

Geodob (poster on this board for those unfamiliar with the name) suggested it is because he has no inner voice so he has to discuss everything out loud to think things over.  Makes sense to me.

This is an interesting comment to me (also ADHD).  In my case, I believe it is exactly the opposite.  I just do not have an inner voice that can talk louder than everyone else! :lol:   It is "loud" in my brain.  I can only describe it as standing in the middle of a crowded dinner restaurant - all the time.

For me, it is as if there are so many different "conversations" going on at once, that talking it out helps me to "hang onto" the thread of conversation I want.  Although I can only take a very small dose of meds due to it speeding my heart-rate too much, it does allow me to go from a "party of 10" down to a "party of 2 to 3" going on up there at once.

For example, one day I had not taken my meds.  Dh and I were having a casual discussion sitting on the couch.  He made a statement and after a couple of seconds,  I came back with something so off the wall that he asked me, "How in the world did you come up with that?"  I asked if he really wanted to know the progression my thoughts had taken in those couple of seconds.  I proceeded to tell him everything I could remember that had happened in my head.  I think it was the first time that he really, truly understood what I deal with on a constant basis to get from A to B in a thought process.  I asked him if he ever goes through that amount of processing to get to a conclusion.  He was stunned and said, "No, I just think this, then I think that."

He did make an interesting observation.  He said that it must be exhausting.  He was right. Sometimes, it is extremely exhausting.  Other times, it is exhilarating.

For a child, (and even for me still), it is hard to discern what is important in all the information that you are being bombarded with.  A simple question, such as "Did you brush your teeth?" can be instantly envisioned in the brain as the toothpaste bottle and then the next thoughts happen in the space of a couple of seconds "Oh! the blue sparkly stuff, I love the blue sparkly stuff! kinda like my blue-sequined dance dress, I loved the dress, but hated the pinchy shoes, my feet hurt in the dance recital."  The response you get to your question will be, "Mom, can we get new shoes for the next dance recital?"  You are left going, HUH????  But, in the child's reality - it all makes sense.  That is where her train-of-thought took her in that nanosecond.  The original question is gone -- bye, bye.  

So, if you ask your child a question and you see a bit of a cloud come over their eyes, you can bet that they are sorting through the "party-goer conversations".  

In my opinion,  I think this is why so many ADHD kids find video games so fascinating.  For one, they are able to hyperfocus on one thing.  I truly believe, it is almost as if it is giving the brain a rest when it is able to focus on just one thing, instead of having to deal with so many things at once.  I also believe that sports and/or movement gives the body something else to focus on.  There is relief in the hyper-focus.

These were just my musings as an ADHDer.   

Leslie, when you take the meds, the voices go from 10 to 2.  If you take caffeine, what happens?  Is there anything else you've done that changes the number of voices?  And it's never music, only voices and pictures?

How would you separate social detachment from busy processing voices?  For instance, my ds fades out like that, and because of his apraxia and slight oddities I've just always wondered if it was a social thing.  It never occurred to me he was processing voices.  I assume he'll get an adhd subtype h/impulsivity, and when you work with him his attention *seems* very long except for the minor detail that he's moving the whole time, lol.  Like he'll sit and work with me for 45 minutes, where at the same age dd worked for 5, 10, maybe 15, with a timer, and then she had to go run laps to burn it off.  Ds is in motion the whole time but has a lot more stamina, almost a frightening amount for a kid his age.  He'll engage and do something totally not age-appropriate (like play Star Trek Catan) until he mentally wears out and melts down.  

Anyways, that's interesting, because I thought his fading out was a social detachment thing.  I didn't realize it could be voices.  Makes you wonder what a 5yo has going through their head, lol.  I should fill him with more stories.  Right now it's all Swiss Family Robinson.  I bought him a western fort and junk by playmobil, and it's all getting acted out as Swiss Family Robinson, lol.  You didn't know they had phasers (as in from Star Trek) on Swiss Family Robinson, but apparently they did.   :lol: 

And for the record, I don't hear voices.  Music yes, voices no. :D

Leslie, when you take the meds, the voices go from 10 to 2.  If you take caffeine, what happens?  Is there anything else you've done that changes the number of voices?  And it's never music, only voices and pictures?

How would you separate social detachment from busy processing voices?  For instance, my ds fades out like that, and because of his apraxia and slight oddities I've just always wondered if it was a social thing.  It never occurred to me he was processing voices.  I assume he'll get an adhd subtype h/impulsivity, and when you work with him his attention *seems* very long except for the minor detail that he's moving the whole time, lol.  Like he'll sit and work with me for 45 minutes, where at the same age dd worked for 5, 10, maybe 15, with a timer, and then she had to go run laps to burn it off.  Ds is in motion the whole time but has a lot more stamina, almost a frightening amount for a kid his age.  He'll engage and do something totally not age-appropriate (like play Star Trek Catan) until he mentally wears out and melts down.  

Anyways, that's interesting, because I thought his fading out was a social detachment thing.  I didn't realize it could be voices.  Makes you wonder what a 5yo has going through their head, lol.  I should fill him with more stories.  Right now it's all Swiss Family Robinson.  I bought him a western fort and junk by playmobil, and it's all getting acted out as Swiss Family Robinson, lol.  You didn't know they had phasers (as in from Star Trek) on Swiss Family Robinson, but apparently they did.   :lol: 

Caffeine does not seem to work the same as meds for me.  Don't get me wrong. It does help some, but not in the focus department so much.  It just seems to make me a bit... sharper -  would be the word I would use.  I tend to get very tired or weary without the meds or caffeine.  Exercise seems to help that.  When I exercise, afterward I can definitely focus better on things without so much of that noise and I am not so tired.  At this point, though, I have been off of caffeine for about a year.  I noticed that my heart had a tendency to skip more when I was on it (I have a slight mitral valve prolapse).  Even though I am on a very small dose of Adderall, I did not like the idea that I was on the meds and caffeine.  It would make me shaky. 

As far as the voices, it is hard to explain.  It isn't really that I hear "voices" like the schizophrenia type of voices. :eek:   It is just my way of describing the "noise" of my thoughts.  Noise is a much better way of describing it.  For me, it really is not music (although there are times when I wish it was!)

Socially,for me,  the problem the ADHD causes is more of a focus thing.  I am better at refocusing myself now when I am in a conversation.  But, it is a very conscience thing.  Unless the conversation is riveting or interesting, I still have to mentally repeat what the person is saying to me so that I "get it" and can stay with the topic.  I really liked taking notes in school, because it forced me to "rethink" what had just been said.

When I was young, I did not have the know-how or the capability to focus very long on what others were saying.  They would say something that would set my mind off on several different avenues.  Following what they were saying was very hard when I was already way ahead of them, or off on some other thought that my mind had led me too.

The whole hyper-focus thing is very interesting, as well.  If there is something that I am interested in, I will continue to do it until exhaustion.  A good book?  It will be 4 a.m. before I put it down because my eyes will not work anymore.  I had to stop playing video games.  There was something about the ability to engage my brain in a fast moving way and also engage my hands at the same time.  I can see how it can be addicting to some people.  

To this day, anything that involves being still REQUIRES that I move in some way.  If I am sitting in church, or a lecture, or a wedding or an airplane seat, I have to be moving.  I have learned to clasp my hands and hide my thumb.  I will rhythmically thump it against the palm of my hand.  Or, I will tap my toe inside my shoe.  No one else can see me doing it, but then I can sit still and be like everyone else around me.  It is just my secret that I am letting the energy out that way. 

There are ways to cope with ADHD.  For the most part, it also seems to get better with age.  There are times when having ADHD is a good thing.  

Our family likes to play a game we call the "Random Game".  In the car or waiting in line or at a restaurant, one of us starts with a word and the other three of us go as fast as we can one at a time, naming something as completely random from the word that was just said as we can. i. e. the first person will say Spain, next one cabbage, next one hair rollers, next anti-gravity and we go as fast as possible until someone says something that is related to a word that has already been mentioned.  The ADHD in the family really helps with this one!!! :lol:   You would not believe the looks we get when we have two adults and two teenagers howling together.  We have gotten waitresses to join in the game and several people while waiting in lines at Disney World.  You should try this game sometime, it is a hoot.  When someone really gets a good random word - everyone compliments them on it.  It is interesting how hard it is to be completely random when you have just heard a word on some subject (unless you are ADHD!).

You know what torture is to me as a person with ADHD?  A laundromat.  

A few years ago, we were in the middle of a remodel and had to move into an apartment for a few months.  I would go to the laundromat and  I would drag an entire bag of items in there with me.. a good book, bills to pay, cookbooks to make menu lists, crossword puzzles, school planning.  I remember looking up one day and noticing that the people around me were.... doing nothing!!  They were just sitting there.  They were not talking, not playing on their phone, not reading... nothing.  Literally - they were watching the clothes going around in the dryer or just sitting there. 

I could not comprehend how they could just sit there.  And it was the entire laundromat.  

I have a theory about how we can diagnose ADHD.  Take a person and put them in a laundromat with nothing to do.  If they can sit there and do nothing, they most likely do not have ADHD.  If they peruse the contents in the vending machine, look for quarters under the change machine, go to the bathroom several times, rescue the newspaper from yesterday that is sticking out of the trash can, makes funny faces at the baby in the carrier next to them, or puts all of the carts with wheels back into their parking spot.  That person may very well have ADHD.

The one in my house who could probably get an ADHD label also has excellent attention span when focused, and I don't mean just hyperfocus. She is the one who would also fit the description of the H/I type. That's why for years I didn't really consider ADHD because her attention is rather good. I've seen her behavior as sensory seeking but more recently I'm starting to think there's more to it.

The one in my house who could probably get an ADHD label also has excellent attention span when focused, and I don't mean just hyperfocus. She is the one who would also fit the description of the H/I type. That's why for years I didn't really consider ADHD because her attention is rather good. I've seen her behavior as sensory seeking but more recently I'm starting to think there's more to it.

Yes, that's specifically why I mentioned the H/I, because from what I've read there's not the same type of attention issue.  To me, when I watch him it's radically different from what I'm used to seeing.  In fact, as I think about it, most of the H/I people I've known over the years had that sort of internal intensity or profundity to them.  That's why the idea of him processing a lot of info/ideas/voices when he goes blank like that is curious to me.  I've never asked him what he was thinking about, but it might be time to start.  :)

As far as the voices, it is hard to explain.  It isn't really that I hear "voices" like the schizophrenia type of voices. :eek:  

Oh, I knew what you meant, lol.  I know you don't have schizophrenia, lol.  It's just fascinating to hear an intelligent, sensible adult EXPLAIN what's going on in her head.  It helps immensely, so thanks.  

Hmm, don't know how the Random Game would go over, but we could try.  Dd's word retrieval is low, and well ds has apraxia.  So you ask ds something like how a frig and a stove are similar and different, and you get this Long Pause, the starts of a couple words, and then something really bizarre like "it keeps things fresh".  Uh, most kids age 5 pull up hot and cold, done, bam, boom.  Not my 5 yo.  Nope, 3 minutes later he's saying one keeps things fresh, one cooks.  Oh yeah, lol.  I can't do things that put them on the spot or force the issue or make them anxious or feel like it's not working, kwim?  They just don't have that word retrieval for it.  It's a shame, because I could probably play along with you.  Actually I'd be better if you switched to music.  Give me a tune and I'll write you knew words.  Give me words and I'll find you a tune.  I'm ridiculously good at it, like uncannily, beyond the percentages. We figured it out in college during a christmas party where all of the society broke into groups and were supposed to write little holiday-themed lines to go with christmas tunes.  I sat there waiting and waiting, thinking it was OBVIOUS, and finally just started giving it to them.  (I hate group stuff.)  We won, lol.  But it gets weird, like dd will say something in conversation, then I'll start humming a tune to go with it.  She says something whiney and I get the youtube of the song for it.  It's really handy to be able to pull up stuff like that when you want to distract someone from themselves.  

Other than that (well and that I only do one thing at a time, etc. etc.) I'm pretty normal. (edited: really??)  Normal is so relative though.  I mean, if you're an undiagnosed xyz, then you THINK you're normal and filter everyone else as NOT because they aren't like you.  To me it's a disability that people can't pull up music the way I do.  To you it's a loss that people can't enjoy the randomness of their thoughts.  I think normalcy is largely perspective and that it IS possible to create a situation where the dynamic is at least normal *in your house*.  And you know, then you self-select your peer groups in college and who you hang with as adults.  Or as Sherlock told Watson, you married a sociopath because you like sociopaths.   ;)

Sorry, that was a rabbit trail.  Have a nice day!   :D

Actually I'd be better if you switched to music.  Give me a tune and I'll write you knew words.  Give me words and I'll find you a tune.  I'm ridiculously good at it, like uncannily, beyond the percentages. We figured it out in college during a christmas party where all of the society broke into groups and were supposed to write little holiday-themed lines to go with christmas tunes.  I sat there waiting and waiting, thinking it was OBVIOUS, and finally just started giving it to them.  (I hate group stuff.)  We won, lol.  But it gets weird, like dd will say something in conversation, then I'll start humming a tune to go with it.  She says something whiney and I get the youtube of the song for it.  It's really handy to be able to pull up stuff like that when you want to distract someone from themselves.  

That is very cool about the music!  I am not very good with the music other than if I hear something on the radio, I will instantly know all of the lyrics as I sing along. I cannot just "pull" the words out though, if I have not heard the tune.

The thing that I am eerily good at though, is old TV, movie entertainers.  It is absolutely weird.  I kill at that category in Trivial Pursuit!  If you ask a question about some fairly obscure actor in a TV show, say in the 60's, I can see their name in my head.  I will usually be able to tell you their character name, as well as, their real name.  It is the craziest thing. My dh actually thinks it is the coolest thing.  I know that I probably get it from watching old reruns with my grandmother when I was young, but still - I was BORN in the 60's.

Now, if you ask me to name someone I have known in person for 10 years or more, there is a HUGE chance that I will not have a clue.  I was a member of a Bunco group with about 15 - 20 women for years.  If I run into them in the store today, I will have to say "Hi Girl, how are you doing?".  Complete blankness.  It is frustrating and strange.

I am not sure if that is an ADHD thing, though.  The more I learn about dyslexia because of dd (15), the more it sounds as if it might be related to that a bit.  I see the word retrieval thing being a problem with her quite a bit.  BUT, I have also wondered about the possibility of her having ADHD, as well.

There is the more "spacey" kind of ADHD that some people, especially girls, can experience.  You know the ones - usually quiet, sitting staring out the window in another world rather than engaging in the conversation.  That is also a type of ADHD that can be seen in children.

What does ADD look like in your home?

Especially in your younger DS. I have a 7 year old boy that I am wondering about..

Thanks!

Hi moonlight,

The thread got off track a bit there.  Sorry about that.

What are you seeing or experiencing about your little boy that makes you wonder about the ADHD?

Hi moonlight,

The thread got off track a bit there.  Sorry about that.

What are you seeing or experiencing about your little boy that makes you wonder about the ADHD?

May I answer this for my child while we're waiting on Moonlight to rejoin the conversation? It's been weighing very heavy on me for the last few days. Sorry if it's long.....

First of all I wouldn't describe my DS 7 as hyperactive or unable to pay attention. I think his activity level is probably appropriate for a boy his age. He is able to pay attention and focus on what he likes, and can do so to the point of tuning out everything else. (Maybe that's what hyperfocus is.) I would describe him as fidgety, easily distracted, oblivious, and unmotivated.

This is what I see. He has to be repeatedly told what he's supposed to be doing because less than 10 seconds after I've said it he's distracted by something else to the point that he has no idea what I said. This is the number one behavior issue we have with him.

In his schoolwork his problem areas are spelling and math....and for different reasons. Spelling does not come easily for him. He seems to have little visual memory of how words look. He automatically spells purely phonetically without even giving it a thought. We just finished AAS 2, although I have to constantly review. He knows the  rules, but he doesn't automatically apply them. I'm not all that concerned about that right now, but I am concerned about his focus during spelling. Only a small fraction of the time does he have his "spelling hat" on, so to speak, and he does well. Most of the time, however, one of two things happens. Either he's making no effort at all and he falls back to his phonetic spelling automatically...OR he starts to spell a word, gets to the point where he needs to make a decision (say whether to use K or CK), and then checks out. He's fiddling with an eraser (usually tearing off bits of it and destroying it...obliviously) or sticking his pencil in the binding of his notebook, etc. I have to snap him out of it, and he has no idea what word he was even spelling. I have to constantly repeat spelling words, sometimes up to 3 times. He has "checked out" to the point that it has actually frightened me at times, and I know that he is not hearing me even though I'm sitting three feet from him. Sometimes I'll have him stand up and do 10 jumping jacks, and that can be helpful at times.

In math....he understands math very well....He surprises me at how quickly he grasps mathematical concepts. The problem is that he just doesn't DO math. He checks out and does the same things he does in spelling. He fiddles with whatever he can find and becomes oblivious to what is going on around him. Very RARELY can I walk away from him and leave him to complete his math. We battled all last year, and we've battled all this year. In the past he's done R&S with some Singapore thrown in. Now he's just on Singapore because I thought all the problems in R&S were causing the issue. We still have problems. He just goes into another world and just doesn't do it. This really showed itself last year when he did the Woodcock Johnson test near the end of 1st grade. I actually sat across from him during the first part of the test, but then I had to walk away because it was driving me crazy. The first part of the math section was doing problems until he didn't know how to do them anymore. It isn't timed. He was focused on the first row of problems, and then he gets to a problem (something like 4-3) and I watch him glance over the booklet, start looking around the room, etc. Maybe a full minute later, he came back and answered the problem.  That's when I left. I have no idea how many more problems he did or if he stopped earlier than he should have, but his score was a GE of 1.8. The other math parts were fluency (which is 3 minutes timed), and applied problems (done orally). He scored a GE of 2.8 on applied problems, and 1.0 on math fluency. The administrator said that he just wouldn't do it. She kept reminding him that this was a timed test and she even gave him an extra minute. He was checked out.

It's not that he does his other subjects diligently and without distraction, but the distraction manifests itself mainly in spelling and math. As far as the rest of school is concerned, here is what he is good at. Reading (probably at a 4th grade level or so), narration, memory work (hasn't always been good, but he has improved dramatically) and (surprisingly) dictation. I really thought dictation in WWE2 would be difficult for him because I have to spell every other word for him, but he has actually done quite well with holding the info in his head. He can also listen to me read aloud if it's a book he really likes. I would say he came close to "hyperfocusing" when I read "A Wrinkle in Time."

And here's another thing that I'm wondering could be due to some attention problem. He has always struggled with chronic constipation since he was an infant. We've done the miralax (still doing that) and the fiber thing....I've taken him off cow's milk. But he is constantly wetting his pants. Now I know this is primarily due to the constipation. But....this can happen up 4 times a day. He doesn't care about it (probably because he's a boy). But I'm really starting to think he's completely oblivious that it's even happening. I can say, "Your pants are wet," and I get a surprised look. It's even worse if he's doing something that he's REALLY focused on, such as TV or video games. I GREATLY limit video games with him and this is one reason. And forget any handheld gaming device. This past Christmas my mother made the mistake of letting him sit and play games on her kindle fire. He completely soaked his pants and the couch....and he did nothing about this until he was approached by my mother wondering why the couch was wet. He seemed to be completely oblivious. I don't see how, but.....

Anyways, that's my story. Sorry it was so long. I welcome your thoughts.

Petepie, welcome to this section of the boards!  You're not crazy, and I'm sorry you're having a rough time.  That's awesome that you got a WJ done.  Did the tester run any more subtests?  They have more they can run, but sometimes they don't because the kid is so high functioning.  When you look at the bright ones, you don't instantly go wow, we have a problem.  

On the wetting, yes my ds does this.  This is the book someone here on the boards mentioned, and after reading it I think I'm where you are, that it's their inerds plus immaturity causing it.It's No Accident: Breakthrough Solutions to Your Child's Wetting, Constipation, UTIs, and Other Potty Problems...  Thing is, the doc/author of this book says the daytime stuff (which my ds does also) is not necessary or developmental, that it's totally the insides.  I just haven't decided how to handle it.  He has bowel movements, but he won't let me massage his gut.  I thought about fiber supplements.  I don't really want to do the loading the doc in the book suggests.  I've tried apricots on him, but I'm not consistent enough.  Sigh.  Maybe we can start our own pep rally thread for this, oy.

When I read the rest of your stuff, I wondered if he's just plain bored.  Try doing less work and only doing say 3 problems or grammar exercises but having be TOTALLY ENGAGED while you do them.  So look him in the eye, get him, do them, done.  Have you tried using a whiteboard?  I like a largish one, 17X20, enamel on steel by Board Dudes.  Also make sure the level of work is interesting.  He sounds way beyond what you're doing.  Ok, I don't actually know what you're doing from your sig and what applies to him, lol.  He's 7 and testing at or above grade level in all things, in some well above, in spite of his attention issues.  That tells you he's super smart, at least bright, maybe gifted.  So ramp it up.  Get him things a couple grade levels higher and see if he gels or stays more engaged.  Get him Snap Circuits or 4th grade science or something more engaging.  Give him a checklist that is super short and tight and then give him a log for how he uses the rest of his time.  He needs to be doing his own pursuits as much or more than the things you make him do.  That will help with the engagement.  It's a total fallacy to say we're here to teach and that that's the only way to learn.  We're here to facilitate and their job is to figure out what and how to learn. 

Hi petepie2,

Oh my, I do remember that stage.  My ds would never, ever think to go to the bathroom if he was in the middle of something he was focused on.  Video games were especially hard for him.  I do not believe that the "need to go" feeling ever penetrated the game haze he was in.  I guarantee he was around your ds' age.  He finally grew out of that and I believe that immaturity of his system and of him were the major factors. But, it took a lot of intervention on our part.  If he was watching a show, playing a game, or doing something that was particularly interesting, I would set a loud, obnoxious timer for every 20 minutes.  He had to decide if he needed to go before I would let him continue with what he was doing. Sometimes, all it would take was pulling him back into this world for a bit to get him to realize that there was a feeling he needed to be noticing.

As far as the spelling and math, that sounds a bit more like my dd.  She has been formally diagnosed as mild to moderate dyslexic.  Spelling is a bear for her to this day (she's 15).  Just this morning, I was reading something that she needed to turn into an online class and she had spelled tighten as titen.  A word processor and spell check is her best friend.  She just does not "see" the word in her head like I do.  She also has trouble with math, but only with the "mechanics" of it. She is surprisingly good at figuring out what she needs to do.  It is just the types of things such as the steps of long division and the memorization of math facts that are the biggest problem.  After a year and a half of trying to learn her multiplication tables, I found "Times Tales" and she learned them in one day.  To this day, she still uses that method to remember them.

Of course I am in no way an expert.  I really do not know about your son. But, something to me just sounds as if you are onto something with the possible gut and focus connection.  I have read a lot about this and there is a lot of material out there.  My ds (and me as well) definitely do better when we are watching our diet, supplementation, and exercise.  Ds, though, showed a lot of other traits that more resemble ADHD.    He absolutely could not sit still when he was younger (except for maybe a video game).  I remember when he was 6 yo, he was in a wedding with his cousin who is 6 months younger than him.  After walking the rings down the aisle, they both came to sit next to me on the front row.  My nephew was sitting quietly watching the service.  Ds, on the other hand, was climbing on the pew bench, looking back at all the people, wiggling ever second.  I am sure he was black and blue when we walked out of there, I had pinched him so many times.  That was a revealing moment for me.  I knew something was wrong at that point.  It was not that he was naughty, he really wanted to please and to do well.  He just couldn't.

Like I said, I am not a doctor or an expert, but what you said just makes me think that you may want to do more research into improving his gut.  Focus can definitely be affected by what is going on in there.  I would try that first before I jumped to any conclusions.  Exercise is also HUGE for us.  Our mornings have always started with a big breakfast with lots of protein, veggies and if we do grains - only whole grains.  Then it is exercise, preferably outside in the fresh air, then back for math first thing.  After math, they always needed another break before switching gears to something else.  A snack with protein, mid-morning and we could make it to lunch.

Have you thought about a possible gluten problem?  Did you know that gluten sensitivity can also show up as constipation?  I always thought it was just diarrhea, but constipation is a big indicator, as well.  "Brian fog" is one of the major symptoms.  It might be something to think about if you haven't already.  If you Google "gluten constipation children" you will get a lot of info on this.  It can't hurt to read a bit about it and see if anything rings a bell.

Hi, petepie2,

Welcome!  With regards to the math in particular, have you looked at adding in some other math sources that might hold his interest?  You could look on soror's Relaxed Math thread on the General Ed board (I can't seem to link it, so if someone could help with that I would appreciate it).  There are a ton of great resources there for more creative ways of applying and learning math that might hold his interest much more effectively...you could still do Singapore but maybe reduce the number of problems so he isn't "checking out" so much, and supplement with the other resources.  It won't address whatever the underlying issues may be, but it might keep him more engaged in the subject matter, which in turn might help him keep moving forward at a better pace...

Best wishes.  

OP, you may want to go ahead and take your DS to get a full np evaluation.  The np can perform a full array of testing, look at IQ results, and assess ADHD. 

When my DS was tested, we were certain that he was ADD, and we were wrong.  He has low processing speed and gifted.  I could never figure out why he would get up from his seat.  The boy could not sit still.  We later took him for an OT eval and discovered he had retained primitive reflexes (STNR and ATNR) plus vestibular issues associated with chronic ear infections.  Weird combo, eh? 

As far as the wetting, the book that OhE recommended basically recommends the child have an abdominal x-ray to determine an impaction.  If impaction is determined by x-ray, the doctor recommends enemas until all is rectified.  Read the book for the details.

This is an interesting comment to me (also ADHD).  In my case, I believe it is exactly the opposite.  I just do not have an inner voice that can talk louder than everyone else! :lol:   It is "loud" in my brain.  I can only describe it as standing in the middle of a crowded dinner restaurant - all the time.

For me, it is as if there are so many different "conversations" going on at once, that talking it out helps me to "hang onto" the thread of conversation I want.  Although I can only take a very small dose of meds due to it speeding my heart-rate too much, it does allow me to go from a "party of 10" down to a "party of 2 to 3" going on up there at once.

For example, one day I had not taken my meds.  Dh and I were having a casual discussion sitting on the couch.  He made a statement and after a couple of seconds,  I came back with something so off the wall that he asked me, "How in the world did you come up with that?"  I asked if he really wanted to know the progression my thoughts had taken in those couple of seconds.  I proceeded to tell him everything I could remember that had happened in my head.  I think it was the first time that he really, truly understood what I deal with on a constant basis to get from A to B in a thought process.  I asked him if he ever goes through that amount of processing to get to a conclusion.  He was stunned and said, "No, I just think this, then I think that."

He did make an interesting observation.  He said that it must be exhausting.  He was right. Sometimes, it is extremely exhausting.  Other times, it is exhilarating.

For a child, (and even for me still), it is hard to discern what is important in all the information that you are being bombarded with.  A simple question, such as "Did you brush your teeth?" can be instantly envisioned in the brain as the toothpaste bottle and then the next thoughts happen in the space of a couple of seconds "Oh! the blue sparkly stuff, I love the blue sparkly stuff! kinda like my blue-sequined dance dress, I loved the dress, but hated the pinchy shoes, my feet hurt in the dance recital."  The response you get to your question will be, "Mom, can we get new shoes for the next dance recital?"  You are left going, HUH????  But, in the child's reality - it all makes sense.  That is where her train-of-thought took her in that nanosecond.  The original question is gone -- bye, bye.  

So, if you ask your child a question and you see a bit of a cloud come over their eyes, you can bet that they are sorting through the "party-goer conversations".  

In my opinion,  I think this is why so many ADHD kids find video games so fascinating.  For one, they are able to hyperfocus on one thing.  I truly believe, it is almost as if it is giving the brain a rest when it is able to focus on just one thing, instead of having to deal with so many things at once.  I also believe that sports and/or movement gives the body something else to focus on.  There is relief in the hyper-focus.

These were just my musings as an ADHDer.   

Very interesting.  I have been pondering this since you posted.  I will see if I can talk with DS about this.  And he does get hyper focused on something and seem to feel better when he can (like video games or history discussions).  Maybe that is more of a "rest" for his brain.  Otherwise, even when trying to finish eating a meal, he is all over the place, talking constantly and moving and fidgeting.  Very interesting perspective!  I have learned something new, once again.  :)

Thank you for the replies. I've been to the point of tears over the struggles with my DS, and regardless of what the real issue is, something just has to change.  I'll answer a few questions:

We just did the basic Woodcock Johnson--math, reading, spelling, capitalization/punctuation. What are the other subtests and what information can I get from them? 

Curriculum: New American Cursive, Explorer's Bible Study, FLL 2, WWE 2, AAS, Prima Latina, and Singapore Math 2. He's also been doing Evan-Moor's Daily Paragraph Editing for the past few weeks and really enjoys that. It's been a great way to reinforce what we do in grammar. He's even recognized a few misspelled words here and there....not that he can correct them, but at least he knows they're wrong! I read science (Apologia) over lunch and TOG History selections in the afternoon. He does his independent reading in the afternoon. His writing is pretty much limited to what he does in spelling and WWE2. Putting lots of words on paper is not something he does easily.

Working on a whiteboard is a good idea and I'm going to do that this week with spelling. It's worth a shot!

Singapore Math is a much better fit for him than R&S, if for any reason, because it has substantially fewer problems. However, I hate the way it's arranged and I feel there isn't adequate review. I'm just crabby about it, although he doesn't hate it. Maybe I'll try 100% hand-holding this week during math and see if I can skip some problems. Maybe he would like the whiteboard for this as well. I think it's worth thinking "outside the box" for other math activities or another curriculum. I would like to have something figured out soon, as I don't want to do a lot of flip-flopping in math. Maybe I should just speed up in math? I'll admit that I'm scared of screwing it up. He would love to do anything on the computer, but he doesn't always walk away nicely...and we also have the pants-wetting issue that is amplified with any kind of screen time. So I have to tread carefully.

He does have some Snap Circuits, and he LOVES them! I would be open to similar suggestions of things that would engage him like this.

I'm very interested in the "It's No Accident" book....I'm so tired of dealing with this.....it would be so much easier (for me, that is) if he cared about it.....Also, I'm tired of  treating the symptom of constipation rather than the cause. Switching him to almond milk did make a difference,  but it hasn't solved the problem, and I still don't know the root cause. I would think it has to lie in his diet, but I don't really know where to start. 

Thanks again....I just want things to change...I'm tired of butting heads with my son and our relationship being defined by that. :crying: 

You could do Singapore for your together math time and give him something on the computer for the drill/spiral/review/fluency part.  Teaching Textbooks would be pricey for that, but it has been good for my dd.  There are probably other options as well.  He could probably do a TT lesson in 20 min, meaning you could set the timer like Mtn said and have him be done.

The tester would have already gone ahead and done those extras.  I think they have an IQ and more thorough breakdowns on reading and whatnot.  You can take the printout you got with you to the psych, though the psych may run his own achievement testing.  Ours did the WIAT, iirc.  Even if you go back to your first person and get those extra things (which I haven't done but was told about), you still don't have anyone reading the tea leaves.  Our psych did a lot of testing BEYOND the achievement testing, and that other testing was very helpful in understanding how she thinks and digging into nuances.  I'm saying you're still going to want to pursue the full eval now that he's old enough.

We had an OK day with the whiteboard today. I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes.

I don't have the space to put us a big whiteboard.  For years, we used a smaller white board that I could just carry around.  Unfortunately, it was just too small to really get much done on and to have both kids be able to see it.

One day I was at the office supply store and saw "window dry-erase markers".  I have a huge glass sliding window that has mini-blinds between the glass panes.  Now, I just shut the blinds and use the huge glass door as my chalkboard.  It wipes right off with window cleaner and is awesome.

Just a thought for those who might have these kinds of windows.

Wow. This thread has opened my eyes! I wish I could get an eval for myself. However, I think I am going to spend my energy working to get my six year old an eval. Apparently it takes a while and costs some out of pocket. Anyways this thread was so helpful. My son (and I) are very like so any of the stories about kids and adults posted here. He's waiting for my to check out his Lego ramp, but I am going to come back and read more soon.

I didn't see anything about executive functioning specifically. That's the term his OT used the other day. I'll need to read through all the posts later when it is quite- :)

Wow. This thread has opened my eyes! I wish I could get an eval for myself. However, I think I am going to spend my energy working to get my six year old an eval. Apparently it takes a while and costs some out of pocket. Anyways this thread was so helpful. My son (and I) are very like so any of the stories about kids and adults posted here. He's waiting for my to check out his Lego ramp, but I am going to come back and read more soon.

I didn't see anything about executive functioning specifically. That's the term his OT used the other day. I'll need to read through all the posts later when it is quite- :)

There are several resources that might help with Executive Function.  I like the book Smart But Scattered.  Perhaps reading that might help.  Other threads address this but I don't have time right now to search and link.  Sorry.  Gotta run.

Leslie or anyone looking for whiteboards, you might look at this  Board Dudes 17" x 23" Plastic Frame Magnetic Dry Erase Board with Marker and Magnet (50030BDUA-4)  It's what we use, and I liked it so much I stocked up on several when they were on clearance.  It's big enough that two people can work together or that you can diagram a sentence or do more involved math, but not so big you have to hang it.

Yeah, if the OT told you he has EF issues, you're probably going to want evals.  :)  You might take your time, save your money, and take the plunge when he's 7.  Did the OT do EF and spectrum screenings?  If the spectrum screening shows something, I wouldn't wait.  If it's only EF, my impression is they typically won't diagnose much until 7.  That's when I want to get a full eval for my ds. 

We've had book lists.  If you want to start a new thread, you could ask your questions there and have your own thread for it.  The lego ramp sounds fun!  I'd love to see pics.  :)

Welcome to the LC/SN board.  :)

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

I read a lot of the responses and thought: Yep, that's him!!

He is a fairly calm child. He can sit, lie down for an hour and barely move around and just space out. He is not super fidgety or anything which is why I never even considered ADHD, but now I'm wondering if ADD is a better description. But he does excited easily and play like any other kid.

He can't focus for long periods of time. He does well with Explode the Code because I sit with him and do it. He is doing Singapore Math, and he does ok with that. As soon as he goes off to do problems on his, he gets distracted and just stares off into space. The other day, he did 2 problems in one hour! He also does things like reverse the order of subtracting up and down. For example, 42-7 will equal 45 because 2-7=5 rather than realizing he needs to borrow. It's like he processes it wrong. He also reverses some of his letters and numbers. He doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes he does it a lot. It sometimes makes his 5s look like 2s and so forth. His writing is not that great.

Oh, the wetting issue! He "forgets" to go to the bathroom as well. He seems to get so caught up in whatever he is doing that he just forgets. It doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest either. This is most likely to happen when he is playing with friends or is in front of a screen. I've never thought he had any constipation issues. He "goes" daily. But he is very gassy!! Could he have constipation? And could that be causing the "forgetting" to go to the bathroom? Is that the general idea behind the book? I can't get my hands on that book anytime soon.

Oh, and he can get very caught up in video games if I let him. We have started playing board games as a family just so they can have something else to turn to..

Also, I live in UAE and can't get a neuropsych exam here. I will be spending the summer in the US and can get one there. A couple of things regarding that. We will only have emergency insurance coverage while we are there, so will have to pay out of pocket. Is there a way to do this cheaper/free? Do I take him to psychologist or someone else? I am thinking he should get checked for ADD, dyslexia, processing issues?

First of all I wouldn't describe my DS 7 as hyperactive or unable to pay attention. I think his activity level is probably appropriate for a boy his age. He is able to pay attention and focus on what he likes, and can do so to the point of tuning out everything else. (Maybe that's what hyperfocus is.) I would describe him as fidgety, easily distracted, oblivious, and unmotivated.

This is what I see. He has to be repeatedly told what he's supposed to be doing because less than 10 seconds after I've said it he's distracted by something else to the point that he has no idea what I said. This is the number one behavior issue we have with him.

... and then checks out. He's fiddling with an eraser (usually tearing off bits of it and destroying it...obliviously) or sticking his pencil in the binding of his notebook, etc. I have to snap him out of it, and he has no idea what word he was even spelling. I have to constantly repeat spelling words, sometimes up to 3 times. He has "checked out" to the point that it has actually frightened me at times, and I know that he is not hearing me even though I'm sitting three feet from him. Sometimes I'll have him stand up and do 10 jumping jacks, and that can be helpful at times.

But he is constantly wetting his pants. Now I know this is primarily due to the constipation. But....this can happen up 4 times a day. He doesn't care about it (probably because he's a boy). But I'm really starting to think he's completely oblivious that it's even happening. I can say, "Your pants are wet," and I get a surprised look. It's even worse if he's doing something that he's REALLY focused on, such as TV or video games. I GREATLY limit video games with him and this is one reason. And forget any handheld gaming device.

Ditto. All of the above.

He is a fairly calm child. He can sit, lie down for an hour and barely move around and just space out. He is not super fidgety or anything which is why I never even considered ADHD, but now I'm wondering if ADD is a better description. But he does excited easily and play like any other kid.

He can't focus for long periods of time. He does well with Explode the Code because I sit with him and do it. He is doing Singapore Math, and he does ok with that. As soon as he goes off to do problems on his, he gets distracted and just stares off into space. The other day, he did 2 problems in one hour! He also does things like reverse the order of subtracting up and down. For example, 42-7 will equal 45 because 2-7=5 rather than realizing he needs to borrow. It's like he processes it wrong. He also reverses some of his letters and numbers. He doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes he does it a lot. It sometimes makes his 5s look like 2s and so forth. His writing is not that great.

Oh, the wetting issue! He "forgets" to go to the bathroom as well. He seems to get so caught up in whatever he is doing that he just forgets. It doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest either. This is most likely to happen when he is playing with friends or is in front of a screen. I've never thought he had any constipation issues. He "goes" daily. But he is very gassy!! Could he have constipation? And could that be causing the "forgetting" to go to the bathroom? Is that the general idea behind the book? I can't get my hands on that book anytime soon.

Oh, and he can get very caught up in video games if I let him. We have started playing board games as a family just so they can have something else to turn to..

Also, I live in UAE and can't get a neuropsych exam here. I will be spending the summer in the US and can get one there. A couple of things regarding that. We will only have emergency insurance coverage while we are there, so will have to pay out of pocket. Is there a way to do this cheaper/free? Do I take him to psychologist or someone else? I am thinking he should get checked for ADD, dyslexia, processing issues?

Yes, he can be constipated even if he goes daily. Do you have e-reader? I got the Potty book on kindle. There are other things that the book mentions that can cause potty "accidents", but constipation is the main one.

My DS sometimes makes the same subtraction mistakes, but I'm pretty sure it's because he's just not focusing on what he's doing.

He is a fairly calm child. He can sit, lie down for an hour and barely move around and just space out. He is not super fidgety or anything which is why I never even considered ADHD, but now I'm wondering if ADD is a better description. 

Just for your trivia, with my kids the reason for that is their low muscle tone.  Flop is most comfortable for them, so that's where they end up.  I inadvertently aggravated the tendency with dd by sewing her a reading nest.  With ds, I try not to make places where he can lounge.  Just keep him up and going.  Your ped can screen for muscle tone, and if it's low they can refer off for an OT eval.  

You're also saying exactly why that other thread on the Gen board trying to look at adhd as a behavior problem is such a crock.