Menu

Teaching the Classics - Yay? Nay?

Janna

Is it worth the $89 for the DVD's and workbook? Is it something that really changed you, or at least you walked away from feeling more knowledgeable and prepared to teach literature? Do you now fully understand the Socratic method?

I'm trying to determine if this would be a wise purchase for me, or yet another piece of curriculum that I will waste. I really want it to be what I imagine it will, but am afraid it won't be.

Any and all input is much appreciated!

You might try doing a search, there have been several threads on this topic lately.

I think it is a worthy investment. I previously knew little about lit analysis, but now I feel empowered. IMO, the DVD's are a necessary purchase, the syllabus alone doesn't give all the details.

I've been looking at that too, but wondering if it teaches anything I can't learn from the Well Educated Mind. I already have that. I'm pretty dim about metaphors. I've never known if I wasn't taught that sort of stuff properly, or if my brain just doesn't work that way. They usually go right over my head.

:)

Rosie

It definitely covers different info than WEM. I am a huge Adam Andrews fan and I happen to think he is very different than Andrew Pudewa. I make a yearly habit of watching Teaching the Classics and I'm looking forward to watching his Worldview DVDs as well.

English is my thing and I love literary analysis - I learned a lot from watching how Adam teaches lit and I think the DVDs are pretty important. Sure, you could use the syllabus and implement a lot at home, but it's really useful to see Adam teaching and to hear the kind of back-and-forth that can develop.

I love that TTC has freed me from the "novel study" and has made literary analysis very natural. I use what I've learned in TTC when I read bedtime stories to my little ones and while I discuss TOG books with my eldest.

I wrote a post about Adam Andrews on my blog last year after watching TTC for the second year in a row. I've also seen Adam live and he's absolutely fantastic. Plus, his wife has great shoes - definitely a homeschooler :D

Do you have the time/inclination to sit and watch hours of lectures? I tried, and tried, and tried...but I couldn't do it :) So the DVDs have been a waste for me. I may pick up the book, but I feel that having read TWEM and the Socratic questioning in TWTM and understanding more about CM's approach of letting the child engage with books without too much interference- although discussion is encouraged, not imposing your ideas onto the child- I am feeling it is enough. I think it depends how academic you want to get about it. It is yet another curriculum, and probably a very good one, but it is by no means essential.

Do you have the time/inclination to sit and watch hours of lectures? I tried, and tried, and tried...but I couldn't do it :)

Thank you for this, Peela. I tried to rep you, but it says I need to spread it around first. As much as I hear good things about TtC and how entertaining the DVDs are, I have a strong suspicion that I won't sit and watch them.