Menu

Removing wallpaper glue......

jak of in

I used the DIF spray, a steamer, a scraping tool, wet rags, and lots of elbow grease.  We started our repainting project in August, which began with removing wallpaper borders from the kitchen, wallpaper from 2 walls in the living room as well as the hallway up stairs.  After 3 weeks, we only got the kitchen and hallway done.  Then school started.  Thus, the project is incomplete.  Waiting until spring to finish the wallpaper removal and perhaps summer to paint. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have removed the wallpaper and the paper backing with vinegar and water.  Both came off easily.  However, there is a lot of residue left on the walls, even after I scraped they like crazy!  The wallpaper was applied over a painted wall, if that makes any difference. 

Anyway, I'm not sure how I can get all that off....it would be a huge job!   I just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this and what they did to solve the problem.

Thanks again!

Okay, I had read this when searching......and I asked a paint guy at Menards.  He said I could apply Zinsser Gardz Problem Surface Sealer over the glue and it seals it so then I can paint over it.  I'm going to try it.  I really, really hopes this works!  If it doesn't.....hmmm...I might have to talk my dh into adding beadboard to my kitchen walls!  I actually wanted that to begin with, but he wasn't comfortable with doing it. 

Thanks for the replies.  btw....I am NEVER applying wallpaper again!  What was I thinking?!  It was actually was very pretty, so I guess that's what :)

I have removed a house full of wallpaper applied by Satan--I mean--the prior owner, and even with all of the suggestions others have posted, I had one room with glue that never would come off. I finally sanded it mostly off, and then I embraced the texture and painted over it. Two or three coats of paint later, you cannot see the texture any more. Like yours, the paper (both layers!) was off, but the glue remained. Best of luck!

We used Downey fabric softener in spray bottles, let it soak in and most came off. We had one room that literally nothing would take off the layers of curling wallpaper and we gave up and drywalled over the whole living room, another room was almost as bad but we rented a wallpaper steamer remover from Home Depot and managed to get most off, we had to sand the walls a lot to get the glue off, it was still rough and patchy but it's mostly covered by a light flat paint- plus we live in an old farmhouse so it's more forgivable. ;)