Menu

While watching Chariots of Fire...

tammyw

Oh that was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Even I (who can't run to save my life) was inspired.

:) :)

There might be a local running club for kids.  Where I used to live there used to be a sneaker store that was for "real" athletes/marathoners/triathletes/etc...and they had all the info for local clubs.

are there any children's running leagues where you are?  seven is a bit young.   what he needs to learn is the perseverance to keep going if he's going to do distance - but not overdo it.  the mental stuff.  you want to be careful he doesn't injure himself as he grows.  does he like distance? or is he more of a sprinter?   there are races aimed at kids, and even the ones that aren't often have a children's age category.

My dd's x-cntry coach didn't start running until high school - and ONLY because he never made the soccer team, but his friends who did ran in the fall.  so, he went out for x-cntry in august. (by nov the coach told his parents to get him another coach because he wasn't qualified to train him.)  he went to the Olympics as a distance runner, and had a college scholarship for running.

eta: absolutely do NOT skimp on quality running shoes if he's serious about running.  running shoes should only be worn while running/racing.  not 'to and from' (he can change into them before the race), not to twiddle around in, and especially not as everyday shoes.

are there any children's running leagues where you are? seven is a bit young. what he needs to learn is the perseverance to keep going if he's going to do distance - but not overdo it. the mental stuff. you want to be careful he doesn't injure himself as he grows. does he like distance? or is he more of a sprinter? there are races aimed at kids, and even the ones that aren't often have a children's age category.

My dd's x-cntry coach didn't start running until high school - and ONLY because he never made the soccer team, but his friends who did ran in the fall. so, he went out for x-cntry in august. (by nov the coach told his parents to get him another coach because he wasn't qualified to train him.) he went to the Olympics as a distance runner, and had a college scholarship for running.

eta: absolutely do NOT skimp on quality running shoes if he's serious about running. running shoes should only be worn while running/racing. not 'to and from' (he can change into them before the race), not to twiddle around in, and especially not as everyday shoes.

He's more into sprinting (I was a sprinter; DH was a long distance runner).

Once we figure out where we are going to be living, I will definitely look into options for him!