Menu

How do you use/schedule living math books?

mama25angels

Oh wow! We adore living math books in this house. I have a bit of a problem as I can't seem to stop myself from aquiring them:)

For Christmas we did TWO book trees: one with a Christmas theme and one with living math books (since my kid asked for them for Christmas anyway!). I ended up with so many in the living math themed tree that I wrapped them in sets of two...so every day of December she got two new ones that we read that day:)

Usually I try to find one either from our collection or the library that focuses roughly on what we are doing in math. That one will be read at 'school time.'

Afternoons for read aloud time we do whatever chapter book we are doing, and then some Life of Fred.

Bedtime reading: we dedicate an hour to reading at night and along with a motley collection of picture books, classic children's lit, etc., we do at least one living math book of her choice, 1-2 non-fiction science, a bit from a history/biography. She often chooses to take more 'fun math' (often Penrose) to bed for flashlight reading time.

I definitely should say she is the only child!

We generally leave Fridays as our Math Play Day where I change from our normal math lessons. Living books, games, videos, etc.

Also, I just stumbled across this awesome looking math living book and just added it to my wishlist. Has anyone read it?

I have not read it, but I've heard great things about it from people who have, I'm thinking of adding it to my wish list also.

The Mathematicians are people too series almost made my math hater(but history lover) interested in higher math. :) Great series.

I tend to mix them into our read aloud time but don't really schedule them as part of Math time unless we really need a break.