Menu

College Scholarships for single moms?

Michelle My Bell

I am in my second semester at college, currently with a 4.0 GPA. Because of my stupidity 20 years ago (I stopped going to school in 1995 without dropping the classes and ruined my transfer GPA), I wasn't able to apply for any scholarships when I started school in the fall. So now I am preparing for next fall to get as many scholarships as possible to not only cover those classes but also pay back the little loan I had to take out for this school year.

I am applying to all the ones available at my school and I have even applied for a United Autoworkers for one they are giving away since my mom worked in that industry for 20 years. But I am looking for some legitimate scholarships that you may know about without digging through 10,000 on these "scholarship" sites on the web. I figure all real scholarship opportunities are worth applying for, even the little ones so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

If it is helpful, my situation is...

• 40 years old
  • Single Mom
  • 5 Kids
  • One in college full time as well.

First, congratulations on your hard work to balance family, work, AND getting a degree! Wishing you every success in all three areas! :)

You might want to read through some of the past threads on financial aid and scholarships just to get a handle on the overall process. A bunch of helpful threads are all linked in the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: Transcripts, Credits... Scholarships/Financial Aid... past threads linked here!

From my research (which is by NO means exhaustive!), things that seem applicable to your situation:

1. The vast majority of money received for college is "inside" money (distributed by the school you attend), in the form of:

- scholarships (merit and/or need based)

- grants (need based)

- work study (need based)

(and, of course, loans)

This article explains the different types of grants, and also suggests some additional options: College Scholarships.org: College Grant Opportunities for Single Moms. To receive these monies, you need to put in your FAFSA application each year. So, you may want to spend more of your energies working nailing Pell grants, 

2. Find out how your school handles "outside" money.

Sounds like you are esp. looking to apply for "outside scholarships" (those given by organizations not affiliated with your school). Before you go too far down that path, you might want to double check that your school will accept "outside" money ON TOP OF whatever "inside" money they give. Some schools deduct the amount of "outside" money from whatever "inside" money they were going to give you, with no net gain on your part. This can have a cumulative BAD effect, if you would have received an "inside" award that is renewable (you can apply for it and receive it again the following year), as, in contrast, the majority of "outside" awards are one-time-only awards.

3. Consider alternatives

Realistically, very FEW people get enough scholarships, grants, etc. to cover all of their college cost -- much less extra for paying off a loan. So, gently, that might be wishful thinking. However there may be ways you can reduce your college costs:

- CLEP tests

Cost is approx. $100-125 per course. You would need to find out if your college accepts these. They only cover lower division courses (100 and 200 level classes). It is credit only, no GPA.

- transfer credits

Often, community college courses or distance courses can be cheaper than your school. Again, you need to find out if your college accepts transfer credits, and as what kind of credit, and from what kinds of schools. It may NOT be cheaper if your school only accepts transfer credits as general electives, and NOT as directly applying towards your degree program. 

- get a job on campus

If you're a full-time employee of the college, you usually get a very substantial discount on tuition -- and your children can go there for a discount, too. (My next-door neighbor, with no degree, started working at our local univ. and is taking 1-2 classes a semester towards a degree -- the univ. works with her on her hours to enable her to attend class, on top of the discounted tuition. Plus, she gets to use the gym and rec facilities as an employee to keep in shape. ;) )

- work-for-tuition program

What field are you getting a degree in? If a STEM, or business, or medical field, see if there is a company in your area that offers a work-for-tuition scholarship program, in which they grant you a partial scholarship, and in return, you agree to work for them for a specific amount of time upon graduation. That can be doubly beneficial for you, as it not only helps with college costs, but guarantees you a job when you graduate. Here's a FinAid.com article on tuition reimbursement and employer tuition assistance program.

- STEM

SMART scholarships (work as a civilian researcher for the US Military upon graduation; works with many schools)

- business

You need to already be an employee of one of these companies:

UPS, Chase, McAfee, Starbucks, ADP, Home Depot, Best Buy, Publix, Bank of America

list of more businesses with tuition assistance programs -- and -- another list

- medical

check your local hospitals -- one in our city has this type of program

Finally, in answer to your specific question about scholarships you are esp. eligible for, here are some articles that link scholarships specifically for women returning to college, single moms, etc. There is a lot of overlap, with some of the same scholarships listed in each article, but also some new sources, so it may be worth digging through all of these to find what you're eligible to apply for. Just be realistic about your odds, knowing you are competing nationally for these:

Scholarships.com: College Scholarships & Grants for Single Mothers

US News: Education: The Scholarship Coach: Where to Find Scholarships for Single Moms

OEdB: Single Mother Grants

Single Mom's Income blog: 10 Places Single Moms Can Apply for Scholarships

Also, when you have "spare time" (LOL!) you may want to work your way through the "big book o' scholarships" at your local library; esp. go looking through the ones with odd and unusual requirements, which have far fewer applicants:

The Ultimate Scholarship Book (Tanabe)

Scholarship Handbook (College Board)

Kaplan Scholarships (Kaplan)

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- you may also get more specific responses by cross-posting on the College Board. :)

Does your school have a non-traditional students department?

I'm looking at CLEPing out of a few credits. 

Does your state have any grants you might qualify for? I applied too late last year to get much besides pell grant and loans, so I'm hoping for fewer loans next fall.