Menu

Infinity is infinity, but it doesn't *feel* like it should work that way

I understand and accept the point mathematically and logically, but it just feels like some infinite sets should be bigger.

Also, did you know that "Kitties no like Pre-Algebra?" (My children get extra problems or chores, whichever I feel like doling out, for whining, but little quiet kitty doodles are allowed to cry little lead tears and say they no like Pre-Algebra.)

There was no actual crying in math today.

Late in college I had a friend who was recently introduced to the concept of "Finite Infinity".  Think of it more as "Beyond comprehension".  He was having trouble with the concept.  I got it right away.  How I explained it to him this way,

If you take one Finite Infinity number and divide it another Finite Infinity number you might get 3 as an answer.  

If you do that with Infinate Infinate numbers, you get an error.  

My oldest son & DH were talking about this just the other day. The question was, if you have an infinite number of pizzas with an infinite number of pepperoni's, how many pepperoni's are on each pizza. There are sub-levels of infinity. The explanation required lots of white board drawings. I only understood the pepperoni pizza part.

Good luck!

Kitty might like it since it has cats! I added it to my wish list, maybe the price will go down. We are currently not near a good library system.

Our main library doesn't have it but the neighboring county does.

It's a cool explanation about countably infinite sets :)

You might be able to use ILL.