Menu

The Critical Reader:The Complete Guide to SAT Critical Reading by Erica Meltzer

The Critical Reader by Erica L. Meltzer 

I first saw mention of this in a post by  ks-sunflower and suggested that my library purchase it.  I've had a chance to browse through it today, and it looks both challenging and comprehensive.

From the back of the book:

"Intended to demystify what is often considered the most challenging section of the SAT in a straightforward, logical manner, The Critical Reader includes: a list of 300 top words, a roots list, and a "second meanings" list, along with 75 practice sentence completions; a complete chapter devoted to each type of question followed by extensive exercises designed to reinforce the skills and concepts presented; and strategies for understanding difficult passages, locating important information, and identifying correct and incorrect answers more quickly and confidently.

To allow students to apply the strategies and techniques outlined in this book to College Board material while focusing on the specific areas in which they need to improve, this book also includes a list of all the Critical Reading questions in the Official College Board Guide, 2nd Edition (2009), grouped both by category and by test."

On the Amazon link given above, you can read the prefatory material in the book and see the table of contents.  There is also a good selection of customer reviews (mostly positive, a few negative).

If you are looking for SAT prep materials, this is a book to consider.  The author has also written The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar, 2nd ed. which I've not seen but the first edition has excellent reviews.

Regards,

Kareni

• 3 months later...

Did you use them? What did you think?

I didn't have a chance to use them with my own student; however, I have recommended them to others who did like them.  I have to admit that The Critical Reader looked quite challenging; do your students find it daunting at all?  Do you have any recommendations for its use that I can pass along to friends?

Regards,

Kareni

We own and love both of these.... gearing up for the June administration my dd has chosen to focus on the Grammar book.

Ms. Meltzer provides very practical advice and challenging practice.

Looking forward to June 7. We're definitely going out for ice cream Sundaes or something, because 2/3 of my kids will be done with standardized testing forever*! Yippee!!

*Or until said kids decide to go for grad school.

I didn't have a chance to use them with my own student; however, I have recommended them to others who did like them.  I have to admit that The Critical Reader looked quite challenging; do your students find it daunting at all?  Do you have any recommendations for its use that I can pass along to friends?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes - it can be daunting! I only use it for my kids who are in the 600s+ , and then only a chapter at at time. For my 700s kids - I let them at it wholesale - they can plow through it own their own.

My son used The Critical Reader as a 10th grader. He had a 59 reading on the PSAT. He chose that from a variety of test prep books and found it the most helpful. He took the ACT after working through it and scored a 32 reading. I am planning on getting the grammar book for him. He is focusing on ACT, not SAT, but I think it will still help.

My son used The Critical Reader as a 10th grader. He had a 59 reading on the PSAT. He chose that from a variety of test prep books and found it the most helpful. He took the ACT after working through it and scored a 32 reading. I am planning on getting the grammar book for him. He is focusing on ACT, not SAT, but I think it will still help.

I believe Erica is working on an ACT book right now. She might have a draft copy that she's looking for feedback on.

Here are her ACT exercises on her website.

Yes - it can be daunting! I only use it for my kids who are in the 600s+ , and then only a chapter at at time. For my 700s kids - I let them at it wholesale - they can plow through it own their own.

For a student who earned a 66 on the CR portion as a sophomore, would it be appropriate?  I bought the Grammar book (per Kareni's suggestion!) and really like it.

ETA: Rats, as usual, I should have finished reading all of the responses before posting. :tongue_smilie:

For a student who earned a 66 on the CR portion as a sophomore, would it be appropriate?  I bought the Grammar book (per Kareni's suggestion!) and really like it.

ETA: Rats, as usual, I should have finished reading all of the responses before posting. :tongue_smilie:

Yes - Figure out which type of questions your student is missing and then use that corresponding chapter in Erica's The Critical Reader book to help really learn those issues. :-)