Menu

What is there for Ancient History that...

wehave8

...goes along with the Bible for children ages 6,8, &10?

I am not happy with SOTW1. So, I am trying Biblioplan with just using the Family Guide, and it feels disjointed. :(

Pam

May I ask why you are unhappy with STOW 1 .. Thinking of using this down the road .

Thanks

Veritas Press. In spite of their website, each history set is designed to teach grades 2-6, and I've had successful years tying in a first grader and a seventh grader. You can do both ancients history set in a year if the split bothers you (schedule for this on the vp elementary Yahoo group).

Silver moon is Veritas planned out .. Does it come with a schedule ? Are the lit selections on target for the ages ? Thanks

Silver moon is Veritas planned out .. Does it come with a schedule ? Are the lit selections on target for the ages ? Thanks

The actual daily schedule is in the Scholars plans, which is a separate purchase. I have never used more than a free sample, but they are very good. Call for information and pricing on buying just the history plan if you're interested. (Last I knew the website was only set up to order Scholars by kid, not subject.)

Each history card includes exactly which pages to read in each spine that covers that event or time period. The activities in the TM are sorted by card also. The paper catalog will tell you where the reading level is.

In the summer I make a master list of which extra reading books, activities, and such that I want to do for each card. (This year I added the correlated maps from Mapquest for my geography lover.) When I'm making individual week plans for each kid I use that list as my guide, sometimes omitting items or adding movies/fieldtrips once I'm close enough to have a good idea of that week's big picture.

Another VP option if you really want a premade schedule is getting just the history schedule from EasyClassical.com.

I second Simply Charlotte Mason....the first guide IS Bible with history added in. Commentary readings, a look at art work (if you do the Stuff They Left Behind), and wonderful book called Ancient Egypt and Her Neighbors. Some of the suggestions will fly right over your younger's head, but they will all be getting the same wonderful Biblical lessons.

Genesis Through Deut and Ancient Egypt

May I ask why you are unhappy with STOW 1 .. Thinking of using this down the road .

Thanks

Well, for one example, not far into the book I did not agree with the story about Abraham vs. what the Bible teaches. She says Abraham thought it was 'one of the gods' speaking to him when he was called to Canaan.  I would also like more Bible interwoven into the world history to get the bigger picture.  Just my own review of SOTW1.  I know many others really like it!  :) 

Pam

What we are doing for 3rd grade:

- Just having the kids read SOTW ancient and letting them choose projects from activity book

- Read memoria press classical Christian classical studies book 1 together

- Kolbe religion course for 3rd grade

- Have 3rd grader read and complete study book for memoria press ancient world book

- Lots of group reading and discussion of famous men of rome

- Let 3rd-5th grader work together every week to add their own favourite events to world history time-line poster

Thank you for all the replies.  I have been looking half the night at each suggestion/idea and I am leaning toward SCM and maybe adding a little TQ if we have time.

I also found Jay Wile's Science in the Beginning and might do that with it.  Just looks like a really good combination.  Have to do a little more reading reviews.   :)

Pam

...goes along with the Bible for children ages 6,8, &10?

I am not happy with SOTW1.  So, I am trying Biblioplan with just using the Family Guide, and it feels disjointed.   :(

Pam

Another option is Diana Waring's History Revealed.There are samples on the website. I haven't used it, but I think this is what I will use when we cycle back to Ancients again in 9th grade. She also has an activity guide for younger students. Scroll down the page to see the samples of it.

I have History Revealed and I love it!  I used it with my olders when they were in high and it was great! If I had olders (middle school) and a younger tagging along I would use it and add the Elem Act Bk, but using it for just youngers I wouldn't suggest. While the 1st unit in Ancient Civ would go over well with lower elem, it shoots up quickly. It would require a lot of tweaking and reducing. But then someone else may have a greater ability to do that than I have. Pre-read the articles and then *tell* them to your children. Get activity ideas from just the Elem guide. I tried the HR cds with my dd when she was in first and she loved Diana as much as I do, but got very little from the fast pace tellings. Now if one wants to use just the Elem Act Guide I can see that working well. In fact some of it would line up nicely with the lessons in SCM. There are puzzles, mazes, crafts, a couple of science exp., suggested reading, games, skits, and more. It would give some kick to SCM lessons; complement each other well. 

I found Biblioplan to be disjointed also. We didn't really make the connections we were supposed to be making. That was with a 1st grader, btw. When I dropped BP and just did SOTW1 and separately read through Egermeier's Bible Story Book at a reasonable pace, my 1st grader started to make more connections! Go figure. For the SOTW Bible stories, I always had my son read the story in the actual Bible to compare. That was a good lesson.

We'll be using TOG Y1 next year. I love Y4, but have no idea how Y1 will go. I'll have kids age 10, 7-8, and 5 next year. Other curricula I had in the running included MFW Ancients and Mystery of History.

boscopup...

Does TOG seem to "flow" together better than BP?  I thought it used pieces of books and that was hard to follow for me when we tried it a few years ago.  But, I may have not given it enough time, and the kids were really young.

Pam

We love our veritas in this home.  One of our favorite subjects.  We do use the online history and it does a really good job IMO.  The boys remember a ton.  We also have the timeline cards and read through some of the books that it has listed on the back.  We are almost though Greece, Rome & New Testament.  We did use the scholars lesson plans at first but I personally didn't use them much.  I could see how someone else might like them though. We will continue this for 3 more years.  Then I have planned MOH CD's & Timeline over a two year time frame and Diana Waring for H.S.  They should have it down by then :)   When I was digging deep on "what to use at what age" this is the idea of curriculum ages I got from people.  even though all of these curriculums say they have a very wide age range.