Menu

Boy, we really ARE snow wimps!

Chris in VA

A few weeks ago we were expecting a severe snow/ice storm.  I was just innocently doing my normal Saturday  shopping and ran into the snow-panic crowds.  I had one of my dc with me so we elected to do the self-serve lane as it was busy but not as backed up as the normal check-outs.  I  heard the older lady behind me complaining bitterly about the crowds and proclaim as she looked at my cart, "If I'd known that everyone would be here stocking up on milk and bread I would never have come".  LIttle did she know that the four loaves of bread and five gallons of milk in my cart was just my normal shopping for the week - LOL!  It did make me self-conscience about shopping that day.

We were out of milk and a few other things today and was in the grocery store just before the big snow started.  I was so self-conscious because the milk and bread panic shoppers are a big joke around here.  But, can't help it that we just happened to run out last night.

We had stopped at the library too, to pick up some books we'd requested.  The library was more packed than the grocery store!

I think people farther north make fun of my area for being snow wimps also, but it doesn't bother me. If they tried to drive in our hills, on the unpaved roads, I think they would hit the panic button early too.

We currently have about 5 inches of snow on the ground, it is supposed to go below 0º tonight, and there is a strong north wind. Not a balmy situation by anyone's imagination. Not the weather to have kids waiting out for school buses tomorrow am nor for people to be out driving around. One slip on one of the hairpin mountain curves, and you're a goner. If the fall didn't get you, the subzero temps would. So I say close everything that can be closed and cancel the rest! No sense in risking life or property unless you have to.

Our county has a two hour delay tomorrow. The main roads have been cleared, but cul-de-sacs have not. Since schools are in neighborhoods, a lot of kids can walk to school. This means the schools are required to clear the sidewalks within the flashing school zone AND the school parking lots. They also had to dig out the buses and those lots. The plows are fairly quiet, but they can't run snow blowers through the night in a residential area.

I grew up in a place that rarely canceled, BUT there were fewer people, fewer buses, no walkers, and kids hiked out to the paved road to catch the bus. That paved road was the only thing that had to be cleared. Generally a janitor cleared the school lot with his truck and bus drivers parked their buses at home.