Menu

Chapter books

jillian

So dd is reading in the 3-6th grade section of the book store on her own easily and quickly with comprehension. She loves the Just Grace series and the Humphrey series. What other series would y'all recommend. Obviously we are careful with content since she is 6.

My dd loved the Ivy and Bean books.  They're about 2nd graders, and probably at about a 2nd grade reading level, but they were really fun stories for her.

At a slightly higher reading level, she ate up all the George Selden sequels to The Cricket in Times Square.  We did Cricket as a read aloud, then she read it herself and was lamenting that she didn't know what happened next, so when I realized that there were more books about these characters, I got them all from the library and she ate them up!  

I just posted about this recently, so I'll bump up.  People gave some great ideas to me for my 5 year-old!  And I hadn't seen the Humphrey books, which look like something he would LOVE, so thank you!

Right now he is whizzing through The Littles, which I remember reading as a kid too.  Unfortunately, lots of the series is out of print, but there are lots of used copies available too.

Content is the issue. The Judy Moody books were recommended today from the woman at Barnes and Noble. I wasn't sure on content. We don't mind some stuff, this is a kid who with pre-viewing and conversations we allow to watch Bones and Numbers, but some of the stuff in the section have more preteen themes which we want to stay away from.

Magic Tree House

Boxcar Children

Books by Ronald Dahl

Books by Dick Smith

A to Z mysteries

geranimo Stilton

Calendar Mysteries

Judy Moody is Okay

Judy B Jones is Okay

The Big Book of Tashi

How to Train your Dragon

Magic School Bus Chapter Books

Bearenstien Bears Chapter Books

Alvin Ho

Dragon Keeper

Encylopedia Brown

Time Warp Trio

Most by Beverly Cleary

Books by E B White

Thats what I can think off the top of my head.  I will find my thread on similar subject and link it.

We did a few of the Catwings books as read-alouds, but I think my 7yo could easily have handled them then and certainly now. He's also enjoying My Father's Dragon as his book to read aloud to me. Both kids love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but other Dahl and Cleary and White classics haven't caught on easily. I'm giving it time.

Penderwicks, Anne of Green Gables, are the first two to come to mind. If I had it to do over again, I would have started the Newberry Honor and Medal winners with my son from the very beginning. Check the blurbs to be sure, since some delve into issues of race and a few light drug issues, but we are now half way through the list and I have yet to find many with much questionable content. Most libraries have a list and there is one in Homeschooler's Book of Lists.

I'd look at Sonlight and Heart of Dakota's readers - some of them do come from series while others are just worth reading and my 6 year old is doing well with all of them and I have not had any problems with content with her.

Other books: Pippi Longstocking series

: The Littles

: Enid Blyton books (some of these do need watching I think)

: Roald Dahl

: The Boxcar Children

: Some of Meindert De Jong's books

: The Hundred and One Dalmations and Starlight Barking

: Dick King Smith - some are easier than others

: Animal Ark Series

: Beverley Cleary - Ramona, Mouse and the Motorcycle and other titles